• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Debating about getting a canary

Charliebirb2

Moving in
Real Name
Liz
I work at a petsmart and we have this beautiful sweet canary and I’m debating about buying her. I currently have a sun Conure.
What all is needed for a canary?
It would have its own cage of course. What kind of cage does it need?
Would there be a problem with a canary being near a Conure?

WallyLoopey

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kate
Can canaries be tamed or are they more of an aviary bird like finches?

I think @finchly has canaries..?

Charliebirb2

Moving in
Real Name
Liz
Canaries are like finches. They like to watch and sing but aren’t really holdable birds

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Canaries are like finches. They like to watch and sing but aren’t really holdable birds
What?? I am surprised to hear that.

Canaries are really easy to tame. They don't like to be held in your hands/petted, but they will fly to you, learn a few commands/tricks, and ride around on your shoulder. Or head. :D

Nerine

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nerine
My canary was not tame, but would sing loud enough to bring the house down! He would eat just about anything, the only thing he wasn't too fond of was eggfood.

He stayed in a 18x18x30 flight cage, and he loved to play with toys that were wrapped in paper.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Here is what I'd call a typical semi-tame canary

And here is something that says how to train (but you are on this forum - so you probably already know how to train)

Please don't use a tiny cage like you see in the first photo. Canaries need to fly in order to be healthy. You can do as small as 30X18X(18??) but a flight cage would be even better. Canaries have similar dietary requirements -- pellets, veggies, seed. They like a little fruit including oranges. Their seed is smaller than a conure's of course :D

They are a wee bit bossy, at least all my Glosters are. You wouldn't realize it because they look so sweet. One of mine was unhappy when she lived with canaries, then unhappy with the juvie canaries and juvie finches. Now she has moved herself into the cockatiel cage and she is happy as a clam!

There is not a problem with it being near a conure. I wouldn't start out with them loose together though -- either switch off out of cage time, or really REALLY supervise until you see what's going to happen. All of my birds (pionus, tiels, canaries, finches, and parrotlets) are able to fly around the room without bickering, it's a normal bedroom maybe 10X14. The notable exception is my caique who cannot behave herself and eventually nips someone.

nellysmom

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Diane
Remember one thing. male canaries sing;females generally do not. Males also molt around summer for at least 2 months,mine does,and at thst time don't sing much if at all. They get pretty lethargic and special molting food is needed to keep them healthy. Mine sings so loud i can hear him outside