• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Dealing with rude encounters....WTD

FlyingMacaws

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Naomi
I know I’m not only one who has had to deal with all around rudeness of people when it comes to flock members.
Now just a little background filler we bring our parrots with us everywhere and when we can we bring our Boston’s as well. Our feathered flock members LOVE traveling and start to dance, sing, whistle and give us a chorus of “Lets Go.” They travel on our shoulders and the headrests of the truck and sit merrily preening either themselves or us. We bring them into the stores with us. They are Walmart celebrities (the gals who work the registers always seem to have grapes or nuts waiting for us.) Being that we live on the Gulf Coast of Florida we are water bums and so we spend an awful amount of time at our local freshwater spring. That also happens to be our local city park. Our parrots notice the Manatees that call the spring home and whistle for them. So we enjoy our daily walks. I figure the walking is good for us and the outside time is good for them.
My biggest grievance though is with the people that assume, “I have to let them pet or hold my parrots.” I’ve actually been scolded by people who I’ve had to tell “No, the macaw bites” the responses have been anywhere from nasty snarls to “How dare you bring a bird to the park that I can’t pet.” This was after explain that my Macaw is not friendly, but Luna my little TAG would love to have some scratchings.
Yet my biggest pet peeve are the people that take photos of my birds without my consent and I tend to loose my temper when people take photos of my daughter and her macaw without my consent.
Though the woman yanking my arm today so I could face her (I wanted nothing to do with this loco lady, after I witnessed her berate a store employee) and definitely had no interest in her getting near my birds. Thankfully Luna let out a nasty hiss towards her and she walked off.
What are your experiences with “unwanted” bird audiences.

Just an FYI I don’t want to sound like I get upset with everyone who asks about my flock members. 90 percent of the time I have no issues letting people get their “feather fix”

EkkieLu

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
I take Sergei out all the time - weather permitting of course. His feathers aren't the prettiest (but getting better every day). He talks to people we meet, whistles at the ladies, and let's everyone pet him. BUT they all just have to ask "What's the matter with him? His feathers look terrible." Makes me mad! My standard reply is "He's molting". It just seems like no matter how sweet, smart and friendly he is, all people see are his impefections! Breaks my heart that people are so shallow!

FlyingMacaws

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Naomi
Our newest flock member Cotton is a Gophin Cockatoo and she is missing her head and neck feathers. I’ve had a few people actually ask me “Why would you want a vulture?” Than others have made a few ignorant remarks similar to your experiences.
It’s apparent that quite a few people forgot that age old saying “If you don’t have something nice to say, than keep your mouth shut”
Luna my TAG gets mistaken for a pidgeon constantly.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
People at work know I have birds, they ask me.." why dont you bring them in, so the residents can see them and play with them?" I tell them " hell no, My birds dont like strangers and we have too many unpredictable druggies here, plus all the virus and germs". They tell me Im mean, and roll they're eyes at me ..

Marvel_ous

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Trinity
Not something I did often, but when I took Sky outside, I would usually get a crowd of kids around me saying stuff like "Does it talk?" "Can I pet it?" "Does it bite?" "Can you take it out?" Drove me nuts. His travel cage was a plastic box with air holes, so poking fingers weren't a threat, but ALL THE QUESTIONS. I usually replied good-naturedly, explaining my answers in small words. "No, he doesn't talk, you can't pet him without losing a chunk of your finger, he does bite, hard, and no, he's a bird for goodness sakes." My "favorite" is "Is that really a parrot?" Sigh. I know it was just kids being kids, and being curious, but occasionally the questions could be so stupid, and there were a few times I had to just walk away due to them trying to open the clear box and get a better look.

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Our newest flock member Cotton is a Gophin Cockatoo and she is missing her head and neck feathers. I’ve had a few people actually ask me “Why would you want a vulture?” Than others have made a few ignorant remarks similar to your experiences.
It’s apparent that quite a few people forgot that age old saying “If you don’t have something nice to say, than keep your mouth shut”
Luna my TAG gets mistaken for a pidgeon constantly.
I can relate to this post all too well. The number one question I always hear about Java is, "what is it? " Poor guy may have an identity crisis: vulture, pigeon, crow, hawk, baby bird. The struggle is real lol

FlyingMacaws

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Naomi
My favorite is when I have Luna on my shoulder and people ask “Is that a REAL pidgeon on your shoulder?”
My responses are either one, Yes she is real and she is a TAG with a brief explanation of what a TAG is.
OR if I feel they are coming off rude or snarky my response is “She is a drone, puppet, robotic pet, stuffed with a yep, she is a pidgeon alright”

FlyingMacaws

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Naomi
I can relate to this post all too well. The number one question I always hear about Java is, "what is it? " Poor guy may have an identity crisis: vulture, pigeon, crow, hawk, baby bird. The struggle is real lol
He is SO adorable. Definitely not a common parrot you come across. But definitely not a crow or vulture.
Luna my Tag has been mistaken for a pidgeon and an alligator by someone that must have been on some powerful meth.

Linearis

Walking the driveway
Only bad experience I've had is the other day when I was taking Lumi to the vet because she was sick (well and still is). And this guy who was working on a door came up and asked about her which I didn't mind but then he tried to stick his finger in her carrier and the thing is...his finger was really dirty and like I said he had been working on the door. -.- I didn't want him touching her I tried to get him to stop and he was like "it's okay" like wtf? That's not up to you to decide bro. I told him "No she's sick" since I didn't wanna just flat out tell him his finger was super dirty and I didn't want it anywhere near my bird. Least the finger didn't connect. xD;

FlyingMacaws

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Naomi
Only bad experience I've had is the other day when I was taking Lumi to the vet because she was sick (well and still is). And this guy who was working on a door came up and asked about her which I didn't mind but then he tried to stick his finger in her carrier and the thing is...his finger was really dirty and like I said he had been working on the door. -.- I didn't want him touching her I tried to get him to stop and he was like "it's okay" like wtf? That's not up to you to decide bro. I told him "No she's sick" since I didn't wanna just flat out tell him his finger was super dirty and I didn't want it anywhere near my bird. Least the finger didn't connect. xD;

First so sorry about your Lumi. Did the docs figure out anything?
People have no common sense sometimes or the ability to take a hint.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
People ......

FlyingMacaws

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Naomi
Before I begin, I would like to throw this disclaimer out; I think 90 percent of tourists when they cross over into Florida loose thier minds.
Case in point. My husband and I decided to stop at the local Wednesday flea market after we had finished with Luna’s and Cottons vet appointment. And they LOVE the fresh treats the local produce guys always give them bits of. Well while we were stopped and our two little feathered patients were getting their reward for being such awesome little patients. I had the rudest most ignorant woman come up and try to assert herself onto Cotton. Cotton is our little buzzard “Gophin” and she is very picky with whom she wants attention from and we have through several failed (bites) that when she is on my shoulder!, she doesn’t want to be bothered. She will hiss and bite. That and she was definitely feeling my needy than usual because she had skin scrapings and blood drawn at the vet. Anyway I digressed, back to Cpt. Invade your space This woman besides literally getting way to close into my bubble would not take the hint that Cotton wanted nothing to do with her.
At one point I had to turn my body around so that way I could get Cotton away from her and after i informed her she “Will BITE” she got into my face and told me she had “rescued 50 parakeets, she knew how to handle an aggressive bird.” This was apparently Cottons last straw and she flew and bit the woman and begun to aggressively attack her. Thankfully my husband who decided to go several venues down rushed back grabbed Luna, so I could get Cotton.
Even more gratefully I had several witnesses that had seen the entire encounter and wrote witness statements.
I don’t know who was more shook up after the entire ordeal. Me, Cotton or Luna who kept mimicking a police siren.

FlyingMacaws

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Naomi
So sorry @FlyingMacaws

Glad you had witnesses.
I sadly couldn’t make up the amount of crazy that visits Florida.
I just felt bad for Cotton, I even tried to excuse myself and she just kept blocking me in and I kept telling her to back up, that “She” needed space. I didn’t even want her to know Cottons name. Just all around heeby jeeby lady. “Shaking my head” People can be so dense sometimes.

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I sadly couldn’t make up the amount of crazy that visits Florida.
I just felt bad for Cotton, I even tried to excuse myself and she just kept blocking me in and I kept telling her to back up, that “She” needed space. I didn’t even want her to know Cottons name. Just all around heeby jeeby lady. “Shaking my head” People can be so dense sometimes.
Some people just don't understand boundaries. When our family dog was alive, people would allow their off-leash dogs to run up to her and sniff her. Mind you, this was a senior Pit Bull who wasn't the most social. It always aggravated me that people say 'oh, my dogs are friendly.' Yeah, but my dog IS NOT. One guy was walking his three dogs off-leash and of course, they had to sniff her and she snapped, grabbing one of the Jack Russells and flinging it in the street. I called the guy to get his stupid dogs, and he said everything was okay. Dude, control your animals! Then, he had the nerve to reach out and try to pet Precious, the dog, and she snapped at him. Luckily, he pulled away quickly and kept his fingers, but I told him that she's not socialized or people-friendly. On top of that, he didn't even ask, he just assumed he could pet her.
Even though she's gone now, I still see that same guy walking his three dogs without a leash everyday, allowing them to run up to random dogs at their leisure. Some people just shouldn't have animals.

Linearis

Walking the driveway
Before I begin, I would like to throw this disclaimer out; I think 90 percent of tourists when they cross over into Florida loose thier minds.
Case in point. My husband and I decided to stop at the local Wednesday flea market after we had finished with Luna’s and Cottons vet appointment. And they LOVE the fresh treats the local produce guys always give them bits of. Well while we were stopped and our two little feathered patients were getting their reward for being such awesome little patients. I had the rudest most ignorant woman come up and try to assert herself onto Cotton. Cotton is our little buzzard “Gophin” and she is very picky with whom she wants attention from and we have through several failed (bites) that when she is on my shoulder!, she doesn’t want to be bothered. She will hiss and bite. That and she was definitely feeling my needy than usual because she had skin scrapings and blood drawn at the vet. Anyway I digressed, back to Cpt. Invade your space This woman besides literally getting way to close into my bubble would not take the hint that Cotton wanted nothing to do with her.
At one point I had to turn my body around so that way I could get Cotton away from her and after i informed her she “Will BITE” she got into my face and told me she had “rescued 50 parakeets, she knew how to handle an aggressive bird.” This was apparently Cottons last straw and she flew and bit the woman and begun to aggressively attack her. Thankfully my husband who decided to go several venues down rushed back grabbed Luna, so I could get Cotton.
Even more gratefully I had several witnesses that had seen the entire encounter and wrote witness statements.
I don’t know who was more shook up after the entire ordeal. Me, Cotton or Luna who kept mimicking a police siren.
Gotta admit the police siren part is a bit funny though... That woman sounds really arrogant. I'll admit that I can be a bit arrogant too with my own pets, thinking that for sure I'll be able to deal with them and that they'll understand my intention but they're my pets and I'll get punished accordingly when I do things wrong... I'd never try it with someone else's pets. Pets get put down for attacking others, it's no laughing matter. X.x

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
My littles don't go places with unless it's the vet.
But one of my friends has two macaws, Fast Freddie and Little Eddie. Freddie is a love but he has to know you first. Eddie came from god awful home that he wasn't taken care worth a tinker's da ₩^. He is finally looking alot better, after decent food and care.
Nicky takes them with alot places, he has encountered alot rude, get in your space people. He has both birds in harnesses, he found a place that makes Velcro strips that have wording on them. Freddie's is "I BITE! " . Eddie's is "Me too" . Those strips are on their leashes both sides.
I can ask him where he got them this weekend, it's a volunteer weekend.