• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Dealing with first broken blood feather

faithapaul1

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Faith Paul
Hi everyone,
Unfortunately I made a huge, careless mistake today and wasn’t careful when I went to clip my green cheeks wing. He’s usually a great of boy but today he ended up twisting and I accidentally clipped a blood feather.

The feather is a primary feather. Originally it was bleeding quite heavily, but corn starch seemed to stop it within a couple minutes. I clipped the very tip.

After reading a lot on it and jumping into the car to go to the avian vet, he seemed to be just fine so we opted to monitor him rather than stress him out further by taking him to the vets and getting the feather pulled.

I’ve set up an appointment with his primary avian vet for later this week to check up on his healing.

I know the jury is still out on this, but is there anything else I should do? I’m going to the store to get quick stop and the medihoney for pain. Do you think I should get the feather pulled?

Thanks everyone. I feel so horrible. I just wanna do right by him and it help him heal.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Monitor him very closely incase he starts bleeding again.

Is there a reason you clip him? Maybe you could let them grow next time?

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
If it is not bleeding any more then leave it alone.