• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Day 6: Some Progress!

UrbanSylvanus

Strolling the yard
Hey all, I figured a few people might want to see how me and my linnie are doing after my first post here, so here's a progress report...with pictures!

Considering just how much Machi loves
chewing on my glasses and hair, I shouldn't have been surprised that the first place he would try to perch on me ...was my shoulder!

He did try nibbling on my neck and ears, but he was gentler than when he was trying my fingers.
I tried gently pushed his beak aside with my nail with a soft but firm "no", and he's stopped with some grumbling every time before trying again. Progress....?
I'm a little afraid that he's going to associate my finger with negative connotations now, so praying that my order for oats (what the breeder who I bought him from reccomended as treats) will be coming soon!

Besides chewing on my shirt collar (and me), he flew a bunch too! I feel like he's flying with more confidence now instead of in a panic, and seems to like my wire rack a lot. He's learning to land on it properly instead of crashing onto it!

Now if he can learn to land on his cage as well...

Dona

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Aww so nice to see cute you and Machi! It sounds like you are doing well. It's so early in your relationship! Hands and fingers are so tricky with Linnies. I hope your boy doesn't become hand shy but it's common. I used to be able to touch Gigi, preen her head pin feathers, touch her beak. Now she would really rather I not. She might just lean away or she might be mad and lunge. So I keep my hands to myself for the most part.

And so terrific that he's successfully flying! He will have so much confidence because he can make decisions. I feel like I can see Gigi thinking "That doesn't suit me, I'm off to another adventure." And away she flies.

UrbanSylvanus

Strolling the yard
To be honest I was surprised too! I was thinking I would have to wait a month or so until he would even come close to me but nope, 6 days!
This reminds me of how spoiled I am with my (hand tamed) Java finch Oguro, since she perched on me since day 1, and fell asleep in my hand by day 3! But then again this is comparing finches and parrots :V

I don't mind if Machi ends up being hand-shy as long as he isn't human-shy and feels comfortable just hanging out somewhere on my person. If he can perch on my hand that would be preferable, but not necessary basically. (Besides, I have a finch for those needs!)

And the flying! Yes, he was flying and all up in a tizzy when I first brought him home. There were many crash-landings but I think he's got the hang of it now that he knows where everything is (this isn't because the breeder clipped his wings or anything like that, I'm thinking it's just him still being a baby and learning.)

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Just so great! He must feel safe with you. :) And yes, I've heard that young Linnies are often kind of clumsy so it makes sense that flying and landing goes a little wrong here and there. Gigi fell regularly to the floor of her cage in the beginning and still does occasionally.

The hand shy thing is new for me so it was a little confusing. Now I just know that's how my girl is and I accept it. She loves me, just not my hands.

I'm crazy for Java finches. How sweet that he is hand tamed. What is the size difference? Will you let Machi and Oguro interact in any way?

UrbanSylvanus

Strolling the yard
I've heard that all Linnies tend to not be the graceful type, and I'm assuming babies are especially. Machi sometimes puts his foot between the bars as well! He doesn't outright fall but it does give me a small fright every time! (Probably not used to a bird being clumsy)

The owners probably did a wonderful job taming her, and she seems to be naturally curious so that probably helped!
As for the size difference, Machi is definitely bigger. Oguro is a bit bigger than those regular brown sparrows that are everywhere (but then again, Oguro is one of the largest females I've seen lol)
And interaction, I'm definitely waiting a long time for, at least until I know Machi knows to not bite so hard. Also when I can get a picture on how they feel about each other when the quarantine is over and I can put their cages next to each other.
For now I can tell they have conversations together when I'm not there, or at least Machi feels less lonely when he can hear Oguro bouncing around her cage and chirping to be let out lol (according to my mom he screamed when Oguro fell asleep and I was out)

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
Congrats! That's excellent progress! I love the name Machi too :heart: I can hear the linnie grumble when you tell him no, they make such cute noises!

I'm glad to hear other people say their linnies are clumsy, I wasn't sure. Caspar and Emrys fall off their perches more often than my other birds!