• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Darby has an Upper Respiratory Infection

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lorylove

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Bridgette
Gosh, I feel so bad for my little monster :(
For the past four days, Darby has been sneezing quite frequently. I checked for discharge, and it's only clear, so that makes me feel better. I called my vet the day after this started, and she said to just keep a watchful eye on him and if the sneezing continues, to bring him in. He started to scratch at his nostrils a lot, then I noticed he was rubbing his head on his perches more than normal (which is making his head feathers fall out), then yesterday I noticed that when I gave him head scratches he would open his mouth really wide and make this clicking sound. So I brought him in yesterday. Everything else looked good, but from his symptoms, my vet concluded he has an upper respiratory infection. She took a swab and put him on Baytril for now. She was going to attempt to grow the bacteria to decide exactly which antibiotic to put him on for sure, but said the Baytril treats URIs 80% of the time. I should hear from her and go back in either tomorrow or Thursday.

He's acting completely normal otherwise...eating like a pig and playing with his toys with as much gusto as always. Is there anything I can do to make him a little more comfortable? Also, could anyone give me some insight as to what causes URIs, and how they work basically :lol:?

This is really stressing me out, should I be this worried? Or is this a semi-common, easily treated infection (especially for a 4.5 month old baby)?
Thanks in advance :)

birdlady

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
Awe your poor baby:( I am not sure what causes them...probably a variety of things...so glad you caught it right away and are treating it....keep us posted on how he does.:hug8:

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Hoping he is ok, and improves daily.:hug8:

Milo

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
Poor guy! Is it dry in your house? Having a humidifier may help a bit. My AV recommended one when I was treating Milo for asper to help things keep on moving through

wonderb

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
How hard it is to treat really depends on what kind of infection it is. I hope it is something easy to treat for! Good for you for being on top of Darby's health. :hug8:

Mrcrowley

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Jim
You know is kinda funny we all get the sniffles in the colder mornings and it is that time of the year. I would say let him get some dirrect sun from window and some fruit for vitamin C . I bet he will be fine you caught before anything worse went on. AND great job like Ellen said very vigilant of you .

Lorylove

Real Name
Bridgette
You know is kinda funny we all get the sniffles in the colder mornings and it is that time of the year. I would say let him get some dirrect sun from window and some fruit for vitamin C . I bet he will be fine you caught before anything worse went on. AND great job like Ellen said very vigilant of you .
Sunlight and vitamins, got it;)
Poor guy! Is it dry in your house? Having a humidifier may help a bit. My AV recommended one when I was treating Milo for asper to help things keep on moving through
Our house is so humid always, its hard to breathe sometimes :lol: But I guess in this situation, it's probably working in my favor.

And thanks everyone for the kind words :hug8:...I'll definitely keep you posted

MissEdie

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Edie
I have read (so I don't know for sure), that maybe a heat lamp and a place to get way from it when he feels he has had enough. This is suppose to help sick birds.

Lorylove

Real Name
Bridgette
I have read (so I don't know for sure), that maybe a heat lamp and a place to get way from it when he feels he has had enough. This is suppose to help sick birds.
I have one!! I forgot all about it until just now, Thank you :D...I'll at least put it on him at night, its still pretty hot during the day where I am.

Skyler

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
It sounds as if you and the vet are on top of the situation. I hope Darby is 100% soon.:hug8:

Lorylove

Real Name
Bridgette
So Darby is doing alright today. Still sneezing, but still acting like his normal self. I was hoping he would take his antibiotics easily, but I guess I was wrong. Even mixed in the syringe with his nectar or some juice, he still tastes it and then looks at me like "Really? How dumb do you think I am, Mom?" So I've had to resort to toweling him :( Hopefully the vet will call soon. Thanks again everyone for the condolances :hug8:

Lorylove

Real Name
Bridgette
It's day 4 on his meds and Darby seems to be improving. He's still eating and playing normally. He's not sneezing as much, but does seem to be very irritable and he is a little floofed. I'm guessing the irritablity is either attributed to his infection or the fact that his head is COVERED in pin feathers from him constantly rubbing his head on his perches, making his feathers fall out. He did let me preen some of them this morning, before sternly telling me he was done. The vet was not able to grow any bacteria from that swab that wasn't normal, so I'm keeping him on the Baytril until Thursday. Hopefully that will nip this in the butt and if not, onto the next antibiotic, I guess. Wish me luck and keep good thoughts coming our way:hug8:

Status
Not open for further replies.