• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

!! Dangerous toys list !!

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I can see how that could happen. Good thing you were home.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I am glad that she is alright.

Lo_

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lauren
A E Cage Leather Bear With Wood Blocks Toy

My bird got one of her claws caught on the fraying leather and couldn't free herself. I removed the toy and will be throwing out the leather bear shape and recycling the dangling parts.

Thanks for letting us know and glad that she is okay!

Amandas Birds

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Amanda
This toy has cheap metals and caused my Butter's to have heavy metal poisoning it killed him and you would think cus its an expensive toy it would be all safe but it's not. The chain link is where it rusted and it was under the calcium chew so I couldn't see it one day he was fine next day he died in my hands it was terrible.

Attachments

Macaw Lover

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Renee'
I am so sorry your lost Butter. Was this toy made in China? Stuff from there is not made with the high quality material you find here or in Canada and the price reflects that.

Amandas Birds

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Amanda
Toy was from France . So I'm not sure. I bought what was thought to be quality.. but I was wrong thanks for condolences i still have my Brandi tho so I am glad that didn't lose both my birds. She has another buddy now.Buster same kind of bird as Butter's.. so she wouldn't have to make to much of a jump to making another friend..she didn't sing for almost three days and then on Sunday my bfs mom brought me home Buster it was so awkward but Brandi made clear she was happy she investigated him then sang for 45 minutes straightshe was kind of mean to Butter's like what did u do mom.. how could u but in the month we had him he changed her she came out of her shell ( she bathed her self)she even started to like him n then he died and she started to go back to her old self.. so when she sang i immediately cheered up and moved on. Im still super sad tho nothing can ever replace my Butter's. Hope no one else goes through this

XstatyK

Walking the driveway
One of those open links got wedged onto my tiel's bottom beak a few months ago, it was scary to get it off carefully without hurting him, but it was a success, now I check those things regularly!

Amandas Birds

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Amanda
So if it smells like an eraser is this ok i just bought a holleeball too took away the delayed stuffed spools and filled it with millet seed to make a foraging toy instead of a preening toy but it smells like an eraser now I'm a paranoid parrot bahahaha any suggestions please

greys4u

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Glad I saw the toy, I have one put away for Valentine, taking no chances, going in the trash

green&grey

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
A toy I got from a pet store here, don't know the name but the brand is Zolux, I think.

(Am testing a new way of posting images, hopefully this works)

Looked fine to me until I realized the wooden parts can move freely. A parrot could easily raise it up just enough to get their head stuck if something were to force the bar down! Could have been easily prevented just by tying knots above the topmost bar!
I will probably be doing so, or just untying one end and using it for parts.

!!NOTE!! - The gaps between the bars on this toy are fine for my birds(Quakers), but bigger birds could get their feet stuck so be careful even if a toy like this does have immobile bars. Be careful of both your birds' head and foot size in case of differently sized similar toys.

I keep being amazed by the dedication of the people on this forum. I see most of the toys mentioned in earlier posts are now unavailable - they have presumably been discontinued. Thank you for doing what you do, AA members! I will try my best to contribute wherever I can as well.

LilSprout

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Phil
This toy has cheap metals and caused my Butter's to have heavy metal poisoning it killed him and you would think cus its an expensive toy it would be all safe but it's not. The chain link is where it rusted and it was under the calcium chew so I couldn't see it one day he was fine next day he died in my hands it was terrible.
When I adopted Sawyer the cage they gave me had this toy in it, I never gave it back to him because I had concerns about what the metal was made of. I will throw it away tomorrow

Bagpipes

Walking the driveway
Hi guys,
WOW!!!! Is all I can say regarding all of the info/pics on toys. I had noooo idea the dangers, like many bird moms.
I just carefully inspected ALL their toys, and because my 4 keets have never had any issues, thank God, and because of my work schedule, I haven't looked at them daily...my bad!
So, I have OBVIOUSLY removed one of their favs...when you see the pics, you will prob scream at me; I deserve it.
But I can't buy them a new one until payday, so they will have to play with what they have left in their cage...
But I am amazed at the damage they did to the one rung, as keets. As you can see, I had taken another toy and attached it to that for them to play with when they sat on it. But the entire toy is in the trash now.
I'm still somewhat new on the website and glad that I visited the dangerous toys section. And like other bird parents, I will be looking very closely at the toys I purchase at Petco and PetSmart. I usually do not mail order because I like to see it in person.
Thank you again for all of the information and I am so sorry about the people who have lost their beloved birds from some of these toys.

Attachments

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sadie
Wow, I think you have miniature beavers instead of keets!

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Unless a bell is stainless steel I do not give it to my budgies. Also bells should have the ringer removed because those little beaks manage to get them off and who knows what then. So if you remove the bells it looks ok.