• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

!! Dangerous toys list !!

QuirkyCaique

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michelle

ZoeyFredrik

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Nik
Yes. They look similar to those. The ones I have are in two different sizes, I think the smaller ones are like the ones in the picture. For littler birds they seem to work well. I'd still be a little worried with bigger birds. As they could probably get them apart easier, and still might hurt themselves. But for my quaker and ringneck they seem to work well, plus they clean off pretty easily. Always a plus. :)

Abigail

Avenue Veteran
Thank you for all this information. Safety is important! My previous sunny got her foot stuck badly in thread in one of the enclosed sleeping hut things. After working forever to get her out, she was thankfully okay, but I contacted the online store owner and told her what happened. (Unapproved Vendor, if anyone remembers it, unfortunately, they closed down.) She was amazing and took the toy completely off of her store, and sent me something similar that was much safer, free of charge. So very kind!

MandaExotics

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Amanda
Thank you for all this information. Safety is important! My previous sunny got her foot stuck badly in thread in one of the enclosed sleeping hut things. After working forever to get her out, she was thankfully okay, but I contacted the online store owner and told her what happened. (Unapproved Vendor, if anyone remembers it, unfortunately, they closed down.) She was amazing and took the toy completely off of her store, and sent me something similar that was much safer, free of charge. So very kind!
The vet I go to warned me ahead of time about the happy huts (I think that's what they're called) unintentionally, but helped me out with toy selection immensely. His previous bird patient before me that day had to undergo a partial toe amputation because the bird's toe got horribly stuck in his happy hut :(

Needless to say any cloth/cotton like toys are now outside cage toys only allowed under supervision.

StacyMadl

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Stacy Madl
I was just asked to share my story with my bird.
(this post will contain a graphic picture of the damage that was done to my bird)
I was warned about toys, candles, cookware, etc. But I was NOT warned about the actual hooks the toys hung from. Or in our case, his bed.

I didn't know to check to make sure they were always tight, I assumed since they were tight when I installed them, they'd stay that way. Obviously, I know better now.
I had come home from work to this.
Graphic, fair warning.

he was in so much pain, and we had NO idea what to do. We called the place where we got him, Bird Fever* and they had us come in, they said it wasn't bad, that it happens, they took it out and cleaned him up and told us he'd be good to go, just a little sleepy.
I came home from work the next day and he had noticeably lost weight. The vet came in on her day off to see him, gave him a pain relief injection & gave me formula and pain relief medication. She told me this DOESN'T normally happen to smaller birds and that it was the worst bruising she'd seen on a Cockatiel. Three days of medicine and formula? He was back to normal, thank goodness!

I was beyond distraught at the thought that I could lose him over not being well enough informed. I have since learned my lesson and I am always learning for his and my sake.

Please, please, PLEASE be sure to constantly check your fid's toys and hooks, I'd hate for someone else have to relive my nightmare because of something they didn't know to do.

*Bird Fever is an amazing bird store.
I hate to even call it a store, they are all well informed and put the birds FIRST, always. I had called to warn them that maybe the hook was defective on the bed I bought there, they wanted me to bring him in to check him out and see how bad it was. They were the ones to call the vet on her day off to schedule the appointment and made sure to call and check up on him. I'm beyond grateful for them & Dr. Ellen Cook.
I read this and I was almost in tears, I rushed to the end of the post hoping so much that your little guy was okay, I am SO glad he is and thanks for posting this because I actually thought these beds were cute, my blue front is too big for the ones I saw at my local Petsmart but I thought about it for the future if I got a smaller bird, I now know they can be very dangerous. I am so sorry for the pain both of you must have gone through. I wish you both the best of luck and happy times together :heart:

StacyMadl

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Stacy Madl
I just wanted to say thank you to everyone on here for posting about these unsafe toys. I am so sorry to everyone who has experienced heartache and loss because of manufacturers who aren't scrutinizing the safety of their toys enough. As a new bird owned I am glad I found this very early before I really had the chance to put anything unsafe in my birds cage. I only have one toy in there now, wooden blocks strung alone something, I am not sure what it is strung on however I will check first thing in the morning (He has not touched it so I know nothing is exposed at all) as he is asleep in his cage in my moms room as she is asleep as well. Thanks again for reminding us of safety issues and toys that are unsafe.

Scully

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Erika
I read this and I was almost in tears, I rushed to the end of the post hoping so much that your little guy was okay, I am SO glad he is and thanks for posting this because I actually thought these beds were cute, my blue front is too big for the ones I saw at my local Petsmart but I thought about it for the future if I got a smaller bird, I now know they can be very dangerous. I am so sorry for the pain both of you must have gone through. I wish you both the best of luck and happy times together :heart:
You would never know he ever had a boo boo. He's still the love of our lives and the king of our humble castle (to which he reminds us constantly ;)

StacyMadl

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Stacy Madl
You would never know he ever had a boo boo. He's still the love of our lives and the king of our humble castle (to which he reminds us constantly ;)
Thats so good! I am really happy that this story has a happy ending :heart: and :hug8:for both of you.

aquagreen

Sitting on the front steps
Avenue Veteran
The Happy Hut is dangerous.

We lost our beloved Nanday Conure because we failed to realize he was eating pieces of this hut, which he loved to sleep in. We never even knew anything was wrong until he died suddenly. On necropsy the fibers were discovered in his intestines. Mind you, he was still eating and passing stool.

Just don't use this hut. Please.

Lo_

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lauren
So I posted the longer story in Budgie Blvd but this is to let all of you know that last night my budgie Echo got his wing really wrapped up in the twine rope that holds the wood blocks on the mini bird kabob. It took my mom and I about 20 minutes to get him untangled! He wasn't even playing with it and it wasn't frayed, he just ran into it trying to fly from one side of the cage to the other. If you are going to get this I would recommend taking it off of the rope that it comes on and just skewering it or placing them in the cage separately. Don't want anyone else's fids to get hurt! Here is what I am talking about:

wesco-bird-kabob-shreddable-bird-toy-mini.jpg

And this is what we were left with after we got it all untangled and cut off:

WP_20140918_20_58_39_Pro.jpg

VictoriaVague

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Vikki
I make my guys a happy hut alternative using these Chube | Happy Pet and plastic links to hang it with a bit like these New 8 Piece Textured Learning Links Baby Teether Rattle Cot Pram Toys Attachment | eBay

I bore a small hole at each end and push through a link, then add another link to each link and hang it on the back of the cage. Pie chews hers and when it gets ratty, the chubes are cheap to replace. Titus doesn't chew his but I replace it if it gets dirty. No fabric and no string to worry about.

Akhanta

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ola
Killer toys
I found this site recently and I'm terrified... What do you guys think, is it all true? PVC, rubber toys etc are that dangerous and toxic? Or is it just a exaggeration?

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
Killer toys
I found this site recently and I'm terrified... What do you guys think, is it all true? PVC, rubber toys etc are that dangerous and toxic? Or is it just a exaggeration?
What she says is true imo I wouldn't say they will die from them, but if there is safer choices, go that route.
If it smells like plastic, don't give it (rubber)
The one thing she says is the acrylic toy parts, they are okay imo if they are size appropriate for the bird. She is selling acrylic beads that are not made for parrots, so...don't get that
Cotton rope, so many use it, but it should be supervised. I don't put it in my bird's cages, but it is a personal thing.

Last edited:

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
I was looking through her site more, and there are some things I wouldn't give to my birds on her site. I think it is a personal thing.

parrotlover4

Walking the driveway
This is good to know! I make most of my toys but I would like to avoid all vet visits for my birds sake!

Akhanta

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ola
So both PVC and rubber are okay if they don't smell funny? Damn, I'm becoming a Paranoid Parrot myself ;)

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
If it smells like plastic it has rubber in it.
My rules are always, no long strings, no cotton (if you choose cotton nothing frayed that is longer then an inch, nothing that can fit over their heads, nothing that can be destroyed in a day that would leave long dangly strings, I don't like leather rope unless it isn't long enough to wrap around their necks, no plastic that smells.

Akhanta

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ola
Today I asked a professional chemist to read the article and tell me what he thinks.

He said that:

PVC - isn't deadly. It may cause cancer but only after long, serious exposure - otherwise it's safe. Old PVC however may be toxic because it oxidizes when exposed to sun. Still, water pipes are made of PVC and nothing happens to people and animals using water that runs through it ;) Same about bottles - they are often made of PVC.

Rubber - natural is safe, syntethic is often hardened with sulphur, BUT it doesn't "get out" (so the bird won't ingest it by biting a rubber toy). It's also safe (as long as you aren't going to burn it, treat it with dissolvent etc.)

Zinc - only a significant long exposure is dangerous, small toy elements won't kill our birds. We buy juice/drinks in cans which contain zinc and it's safe too - only big amount of zinc, swallowed or treated with stark acid, is toxic and dangerous.

I asked him about foam, playing cards/puzzles coatings and food dyes too, I'll let you know when he replies.
:)

Ocean

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Aqua
Please be careful with this toy, for small birds, or even medium.We bought it for Tiki and Maui today, (Linnies) since they love bells and parts of the toy they can move, Tiki was trying to play with the beads by sticking her head through the metal part at the top, but got stuck, in a fit of panic, she jumped off the perch and was hanging there, screaming, luckily I was just in the other room and came to her rescue! Now they can only play with it under supervision...

https://petpitchusa.files.wordpress.com/2013/10/lwabacus.jpg