• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

!! Dangerous toys list !!

zuzanqa

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Zuz
Hi Matt, he chewed a whole in the main ¨body¨part of the piñata I think.

Sianno

Meeting neighbors
I am new here, and just saw this list. I am glad I did, I have moved some of my 'tiels toys to the "only supervised" bucket. I would also like to include ANY rope toys/perches. There are a couple specifically mentioned, but I didn't see anything about the comfy perches. I had one several years ago with my budgies. I did regularly check them. I checked it on Sunday night, it looked fine, Monday I got home from school and found my budgie hanging by her toe trying to chew her toe off to get free. She had worked a tiny loop free and got it stuck. I got her free and she hadn't had time to do any serious damage to herself, but since then I've been a bit paranoid about all rope/string toys. The only time he gets to play with any of that is when I'm in the room and he's out of his cage.

JAM

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Just a warning about the "olympic rings" too. My little M-Star loves them and she does acrobats on them like you see the gymnasts do. She's done loops and the splits, it's rather funny to see, but she is very coordinated and quite a good little acrobat. Her cage mate Millow is clumsy and fortunately we were in when I spotted him try to climb through one of the rings and got caught up. He started hanging and panicking. I managed to get to the cage quickly, open it, support his body and get him free.
They were removed and thrown away that day.

M-Star is pretty pissy about it because I think she thought it was a great ploy to get rid of Millow, but I am not taking any risks again till Millow gets some coordination. I think his clipped wings don't help at all with his balance. :(

Kelli

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Kelli
on the ladders with eye hooks - I prop them up without the eyehooks and use a bird safe link to attach them to the bars...

Grey15

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Cathy
I just received my pet food/toy order yesterday and I ordered several parrot pinatas for Morgan and Whiskey. What a bummer! I thought they were among the safest toys available. I guess I'll hang those on the manzanita tree instead of in the cages.

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
Wow! Thanks for all the good advice. I haven't had birds for a few years until I got the crazy caique-eees. New birds, new size, new toys. Great to be reminded of the dangers.

I also had one of those toys, that was specifically mentioned as being a tangling hazard, for sale on my site. I have removed it.

MenomaMinx

Sprinting down the street
this toy, after the wood on the long chains is chewed off is very dangerous!

I discovered Hulk tangled in it. I don't know what would have happened had I not gone in at that precise moment. He had one of his wings double looped in the metal chain!

also these fit in the category, they are the same toy only different shapes.

Also birdy bagels that are big enough to go through your parrot's head. Big Bird once was wearing on like a necklace and when he noticed he freaked out! I did too but thankfully nothing happened.
these are Valentino(CAG) and Kumiko's favorite hanging toys!
In fact,the banana one was her very first self selected bird toy--she was 8 and never used toys given by her rescuers before.I asked if it was safe for a bird her size,they said yes,I paid and it stayed in that cage with her until she moved home with me.

Is this fixable to make these safe?

She loves that toy!

It's coming out the second I can get my personal Valkyrie to help me,but I'm expecting a fit on Kumiko's part.

is there a safer version?

Maybe it could work as a supervision only toy,or still too dangerous?

lamagdalena

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Erika
these are Valentino(CAG) and Kumiko's favorite hanging toys!
In fact,the banana one was her very first self selected bird toy--she was 8 and never used toys given by her rescuers before.I asked if it was safe for a bird her size,they said yes,I paid and it stayed in that cage with her until she moved home with me.

Is this fixable to make these safe?

She loves that toy!

It's coming out the second I can get my personal Valkyrie to help me,but I'm expecting a fit on Kumiko's part.

is there a safer version?

Maybe it could work as a supervision only toy,or still too dangerous?
As they begin on the wood parts the chain becomes exposed, and that is what creates the problem, but I think supervised or out of cage toy is just fine.

QuirkyCaique

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michelle
Hello people. I had a loss a couple days ago. My wonderful beloved companion Brazil passed away. She chewed to the inside of this Tiki man toy

they had some kind of material inside that done her in. :( Thought i would warn you so you wouldn't have the same fate.

lamagdalena

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Erika
Hello people. I had a loss a couple days ago. My wonderful beloved companion Brazil passed away. She chewed to the inside of this Tiki man toy

they had some kind of material inside that done her in. :( Thought i would warn you so you wouldn't have the same fate.
I am so sorry :hug8:, thank you for the warning. May your little baby RIP :(

Scully

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Erika
I was just asked to share my story with my bird.
(this post will contain a graphic picture of the damage that was done to my bird)
I was warned about toys, candles, cookware, etc. But I was NOT warned about the actual hooks the toys hung from. Or in our case, his bed.

I didn't know to check to make sure they were always tight, I assumed since they were tight when I installed them, they'd stay that way. Obviously, I know better now.
I had come home from work to this.
Graphic, fair warning.

he was in so much pain, and we had NO idea what to do. We called the place where we got him, Bird Fever* and they had us come in, they said it wasn't bad, that it happens, they took it out and cleaned him up and told us he'd be good to go, just a little sleepy.
I came home from work the next day and he had noticeably lost weight. The vet came in on her day off to see him, gave him a pain relief injection & gave me formula and pain relief medication. She told me this DOESN'T normally happen to smaller birds and that it was the worst bruising she'd seen on a Cockatiel. Three days of medicine and formula? He was back to normal, thank goodness!

I was beyond distraught at the thought that I could lose him over not being well enough informed. I have since learned my lesson and I am always learning for his and my sake.

Please, please, PLEASE be sure to constantly check your fid's toys and hooks, I'd hate for someone else have to relive my nightmare because of something they didn't know to do.

*Bird Fever is an amazing bird store.
I hate to even call it a store, they are all well informed and put the birds FIRST, always. I had called to warn them that maybe the hook was defective on the bed I bought there, they wanted me to bring him in to check him out and see how bad it was. They were the ones to call the vet on her day off to schedule the appointment and made sure to call and check up on him. I'm beyond grateful for them & Dr. Ellen Cook.

Scully

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Erika
Added: We thought it was on his jaw, but it was actually the side and the metal was so heavy it tore & drug further down. :grumpy:
He doesn't mess with them anymore, just swings on his toys like Tarzan.

Aaron

Strolling the yard
Thanks for the information about the happy hut. I just pulled one from my poi's cage because of loose strings. I would say that this is a no go toy period even though my bird loved it.

QuirkyCaique

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michelle
I was just asked to share my story with my bird.
(this post will contain a graphic picture of the damage that was done to my bird)
I was warned about toys, candles, cookware, etc. But I was NOT warned about the actual hooks the toys hung from. Or in our case, his bed.

I didn't know to check to make sure they were always tight, I assumed since they were tight when I installed them, they'd stay that way. Obviously, I know better now.
I had come home from work to this.
Graphic, fair warning.

he was in so much pain, and we had NO idea what to do. We called the place where we got him, Bird Fever* and they had us come in, they said it wasn't bad, that it happens, they took it out and cleaned him up and told us he'd be good to go, just a little sleepy.
I came home from work the next day and he had noticeably lost weight. The vet came in on her day off to see him, gave him a pain relief injection & gave me formula and pain relief medication. She told me this DOESN'T normally happen to smaller birds and that it was the worst bruising she'd seen on a Cockatiel. Three days of medicine and formula? He was back to normal, thank goodness!

I was beyond distraught at the thought that I could lose him over not being well enough informed. I have since learned my lesson and I am always learning for his and my sake.

Please, please, PLEASE be sure to constantly check your fid's toys and hooks, I'd hate for someone else have to relive my nightmare because of something they didn't know to do.

*Bird Fever is an amazing bird store.
I hate to even call it a store, they are all well informed and put the birds FIRST, always. I had called to warn them that maybe the hook was defective on the bed I bought there, they wanted me to bring him in to check him out and see how bad it was. They were the ones to call the vet on her day off to schedule the appointment and made sure to call and check up on him. I'm beyond grateful for them & Dr. Ellen Cook.
Something very similiar to thks happened to my Sun conure a couple weeks ago.
She undid the litte screw latch and got her beak stuck. It peirced through that soft part on the bottom beak where the beak ends, and she was caught on the toy until I came home and rescued her. Thankfully she is ok. She did bleed.

Lola13

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Chloe
Everything that I get that's on chains gets changed to either paper rope,safe leather laces or stainless steel kabobs. But even then some toy are still unsafe!

ZoeyFredrik

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Nik
@Scully

I am glad that your baby is okay :hug4:. Quicklinks are very dangerous. Sammy skewered himself on one as a young quaker. It went under his beak and came out inside his mouth under his tongue. I always remove quick links. Some of them are even spring loaded and can do a lot of damage. Also look out for the steel circular links. They are used in some toys and have little gaps where the two ends meet. Its like the perfect size to get a beak or toenail stuck. :mad:

QuirkyCaique

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michelle
@Scully

I am glad that your baby is okay :hug4:. Quicklinks are very dangerous. Sammy skewered himself on one as a young quaker. It went under his beak and came out inside his mouth under his tongue. I always remove quick links. Some of them are even spring loaded and can do a lot of damage. Also look out for the steel circular links. They are used in some toys and have little gaps where the two ends meet. Its like the perfect size to get a beak or toenail stuck. :mad:
When you remove the links what do you replace them with?

Lola13

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Chloe
I like the quicklinks you can get that tighten really tight. I know the horrible spring types I don't like them but it's hard finding the other types. I like to use them baby plastic links that you use on a pram for my macaw and use paper rope to add more shredding. I don't like using them for my irn as I can just see her getting her head stuck!