• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

!! Dangerous toys list !!

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie

Farlie

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Rick

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Fortunately my two do not chew on the rope perches. They prefer balsa and any other soft wood. Also the corks. Shame on anyone that lets a perch unravel that much as in the photo.

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Shame on anyone that lets a perch unravel that much as in the photo.
Sometimes they even sell them with tufts of loose fibers. Like this one for example.

product-image-481914546_1200x1200.jpg

Be careful out there everyone! We need to be sensible and cautious with our little loves.

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@fashionfobie said

Excellent article. The pics really help send some of the key points home. :thankyou: for sharing it!

Hannah4

Moving in
Real Name
Hannah
Not a toy per say, but a food bowl with a hood that I had for my budgie, Sunny. We had Sunny for about 6 years. He survived hurricane Sandy but an eye infection did him in. The hood around the food bowl was very sharp and cut his right eye. Within a couple of days his eye ballooned to the size of his little head. The antibiotic ointment the vet gave him wasn’t enough and he passed away. I sat by his side for days as he slowly passed, hoping he would pull through. I will never forget the morning I found him gone. It makes me so angry when I see the food bowls still for sale at PetSmart. Now I always check for any sharp edges before I purchase something for my birds. The things you would never think of can present the most danger. To anyone looking for a hooded bowl to reduce mess, make sure there is no sharp places that an excited bird can injure themselves. Here is the bowl that did it.
JW Pet® Insight Clean Cup Feed & Water Bird Cup | bird Cups | PetSmart

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
So sorry for your loss @Hannah4 Thanks for posting the information about that bird food and water cup.

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Not a toy per say, but a food bowl with a hood that I had for my budgie, Sunny. We had Sunny for about 6 years. He survived hurricane Sandy but an eye infection did him in. The hood around the food bowl was very sharp and cut his right eye. Within a couple of days his eye ballooned to the size of his little head. The antibiotic ointment the vet gave him wasn’t enough and he passed away. I sat by his side for days as he slowly passed, hoping he would pull through. I will never forget the morning I found him gone. It makes me so angry when I see the food bowls still for sale at PetSmart. Now I always check for any sharp edges before I purchase something for my birds. The things you would never think of can present the most danger. To anyone looking for a hooded bowl to reduce mess, make sure there is no sharp places that an excited bird can injure themselves. Here is the bowl that did it.
JW Pet® Insight Clean Cup Feed & Water Bird Cup | bird Cups | PetSmart

I'm so sorry! :sadhug:. Ty for posting this, I know it must've been difficult.

elitys

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Elise
My green cheek, Poppy, got her leg band stuck in this toy. Thankfully, her leg wasn't broken, but it scared her quite a lot and she twisted her leg in an uncomfortable way causing her to favor it all night. I'm glad it wasn't any worse.

There is a version of this toy that does not rotate, and I believe that one would be safe. The fact that this one moves can cause the bird to lose their footing and become injured. Even without a leg band, they could get a foot lodged between the sticks. In addition, they could get trapped between it and a wall or wedged against the ceiling depending on the placement of the toy.

I've also seen similar versions of this toy on other websites, some of them vendors from AA. I don't want to call any of them out because for the most part, they do a great job making sure that what they sell is safe for our fids. I just want to share that these toys in particular have the potential to be unsafe.

Super Bird Creations Twirl n' Whirl Bird Toy

Attachments

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
I could definitely see that being an issue with a leg band. If you have an avian vet, they'll usually cut off leg bands if you ask. Rupert had his removed.

I haven't had a problem with these particular ones. Rupert has chewed through lots of these.

20200807_150622.jpg

elitys

Real Name
Elise
I could definitely see that being an issue with a leg band. If you have an avian vet, they'll usually cut off leg bands if you ask. Rupert had his removed.

I haven't had a problem with these particular ones. Rupert has chewed through lots of these.

View attachment 349068
Yeah, I have another one that's like that and I don't think it would be a problem. I'm going to have the band removed for sure, and I'll probably get her microchipped instead.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Thanks for posting this. Its a valuable thread. Some vets will tell you the bird needs anesthesia to remove leg band. This is not true if your vet is an experienced avian vet.

elitys

Real Name
Elise
Thanks for posting this. Its a valuable thread. Some vets will tell you the bird needs anesthesia to remove leg band. This is not true if your vet is an experienced avian vet.
Good to know. Thanks for the tip.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Please get your bird items from our vendors here. You wont be sorry because they are safe.

Ali

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
Please get your bird items from our vendors here. You wont be sorry because they are safe.
That's all well and good, but toys are expensive things, and to then pay shipping half way across the world on top of that cost is a bit much for many people. I would gladly buy from vendors more often if we had a UK one where shipping wouldn't be as much.