1. Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

!! Dangerous toys list !!

Discussion in 'Safety Avenue' started by Birdiemarie, 12/6/10.

1. Peachfaced

Peachfaced Biking along the boulevard JOLLY-PATROLLY Super Moderator Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran Vendor

Sadie
    What's the beaded mirror?

2. faislaq

faislaq I have a macaw and don't post enough photos Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award

Karen
    I believe it's this:
    20180522_234314.jpg
    Is this it @webchirp?

Wait, is it the bead or the metal of the wire that's dangerous?

webchirp likes this.
  3. Peachfaced

Peachfaced Biking along the boulevard JOLLY-PATROLLY Super Moderator Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran Vendor

Sadie
    Oh, interesting. I've got one of those three-panel mirrors, but it has no bars/beads. Sherbs sometimes admires herself in it.

faislaq likes this.
  4. webchirp

webchirp Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran Rescue Representative

Chandra
    Yes and there is another one with just one bar across the bottom. Any exposed metal on those...

Laurul Feather Cat and faislaq like this.
  5. Jas

Jas Rollerblading along the road

Jasmine
    I used to have one similar to that for busbee, glad I binned it.

6. Mizzely

Mizzely Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran Vendor BINGO CHAMPION

Shawna
  7. Tiel Feathers

Tiel Feathers Cruising the avenue Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award

Deanna
    :omg: Wow, I never would have thought! I don’t use those, but thanks for posting.

Sarahmoluccan and Mizzely like this.
  8. Lady Jane

Lady Jane Joyriding the Neighborhood Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran I Can't Stop Posting!

Dianne
    So scary all the unsafe toys out there.

Tiel Feathers and Sarahmoluccan like this.
  9. Peachfaced

Sadie
    Geeze, that is horrifying! :scared4:

10. hrafn

hrafn Rollerblading along the road Avenue Spotlight Award

Tiel Feathers likes this.
  11. zoo mom

zoo mom Ripping up the road Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Veteran I Can't Stop Posting!

Elaine
    Poor baby. Glad her mama found her.

12. Parakeet88

Parakeet88 Jogging around the block Celebirdy of the Month

It looks like that was hung up with a piece of rope? I occasionally use these to offer millet treats. The toy originally comes with a plastic bar that goes across the top. A parakeet would have a much harder time getting in if the bar was used instead of rope. The bar also has a hook for hanging, when this hook is used the top opening is close to the top of the cage (if that's where it's being used), also helping to prevent a bird getting in like that.

I'm not saying this toy is 100% safe, no toy is, but just a heads up for people who do use these. If you use them properly the chances of this happening are pretty slim. It is only plastic and is meant for small birds, a larger bird could easily chew the bar up and get its head stuck in the cone.

You can see how close the opening is to the cage when hung properly

IMG_7724.JPG

IMG_7725.JPG

With the bar in place a parakeet would have a difficult (but not impossible) time getting through

IMG_7722.JPG

IMG_7723.JPG

13. Mizzely

Mizzely Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran Vendor BINGO CHAMPION

Shawna

That's good to know! Thank you!

Parakeet88 likes this.
  14. Fergus Mom

Fergus Mom Rollerblading along the road

Elly
    Balls with slots...
    Thursday, Fiona was doing her favorite thing, licking the water I was spraying off the balls in the cage
    next to her rope perch at top. They both loved this.

So I'm on the phone, and next thing I know I look over and Fiona's foot is stuck in the darn hole in the ball. I quickly (but calmly?) hang up. I am trying not to panic, but I had just read that morning about a budgie with a broken leg. :(
    I am thinking of pliers, and crushing the ball. Fat chance I'd get shiny pliers in there right next to her without freaking her out. Then I think about the jigsaw. Oh man. I opted for grabbing the ball that has her foot captive and gently turn it toward her. IT WORKS! Her foot was free, and luckily no injuries.
    Thank goodness I didn't have to try to take her out of the cage or scare her worse than she was.
    BAD BALLS! They get a spanking, and OUT of the cage they go.

BALLS BAD BUDGIES OCTOBER 2018.jpg

15. Peachfaced

Sadie
    If you need a substitute, these balls are fantastic. I buy both of these because eventually my birds play with them so hard, that they end up wearing out and breaking. I then transfer the jingly part to the slotted ball. The slotted ones are a softer plastic, but my birds LOVE throwing them around.

2" Bird Ball
    2" Slotted Ball White

16. Rain Bow

Rain Bow Sprinting down the street

Rain
    My goodness! Thank goodness she came outta it all Ok!

:mykid: Rain

Fergus Mom likes this.
  17. Fergus Mom

Fergus Mom Rollerblading along the road

Elly
    Peachfaced likes this.
  18. Lady Jane

Lady Jane Joyriding the Neighborhood Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran I Can't Stop Posting!

Dianne
    :bump8: such an important thread for us to read from beginning to end so I bumped

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)