• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Danger - Aloe Vera sprays and other feather sprays

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yoshi

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jessie
I take everything like this with a grain of salt. One instance from the net and no vet report or anything? Maybe he was alergic to something or it was just coincidence and something else entirely triggered it? Maybe the aloe used was contaminated or not a pure aloe but some type of mix that caused the issue? If it was a commercial "aloe vera spray" - who knows what was all actually in it. And then the end claim that it will be in the lungs forever? Most species can heal their lungs given time - even long term cig smokers can have healing in their lungs when they quit. Somethings might take a while but a very few rare things are forever. And think about it - if the aloe caused the issue, and if a bird's lungs couldn't heal and remove substances over time then the bird in question never would have improved.

Poor Yoshi should have been long dead. The first two years I had her she hadpure aloe vera juice diluted in water sprayed on her daily. Did wonders for the worst of her plucking as it seemed to sooth the skin. Now she really doesn't have bare skin so I haven't used it for a while.

Its good to be cautious and educate yourself on things but don't take everything stated at face value.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Bottom line: Stick with plain water to spray your bird!
Anyone who recommends anything else is NOT knowledgeable and is simply
following some nonsense advice on some internet group or website. Stay
with natural stuff and your bird will be safer.
Wasn't this "nonsense advice" posted on "some internet group or website"? :rolleyes:
Aloe vera is as natural as it gets....

sodakat

Real Name
Kathy
I posted this in an effort to be helpful. Obviously anyone can put anything they want on their birds. I trust Laurella and she is well respected. She always has the welfare of parrots foremost in her posts.

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
I posted this in an effort to be helpful. Obviously anyone can put anything they want on their birds. I trust Laurella and she is well respected. She always has the welfare of parrots foremost in her posts.
I wish more people would listen Kathy and I thank you for posting it because even though I'm on that group, I somehow completely missed it. Aloe vera may be completely natural but anyone who looks into what to use it for can find that it's not designed for use on feathers. It sticks to the feathers and ultimately will make the feathers dull. I had never heard about the inhalation problem, but I don't doubt it for a minute. I'd also like to know what Laurella thought about ingesting it but have seemed to have missed that conversation.

I've brought up this topic on more than one occasion in the past and even had a very long discussion with Birdie Marie in one post several years ago. She fought me tooth and nail over the reasons it was a good product to use. In the last several months, she totally reversed her thoughts on the matter and came out on this board against it's use.

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
Aloe dries areas after a short time of use. Read the bottle...Aloe is also a laxative. George's aloe is made here in texas. There is a cream, hair shampoo etc. I did not see any difference. when In az I used aloe plant directly on burns and it worked. It has also been reported by vet that there can be some bacterial growth with use of aloe on feathers.

In the wild some birds have an anting behavior which places chemicals on the feathers. I have not read anything about the large macaws or tooz rubbing on certain leaves etc. We do know that caiques leaf surf but not sure if they use leaves from certain trees only.

If one is to error, error on the side of the bird.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Aloe isnt just for burns or wound. But dry skin and itchyness too.

I can see aloe being a problem if its pure aloe or not mixed right and used every day. But once/twice a week isnt going to harm.

And someone mentioned bacteria in aloe. Well bacteria is in and on everything. Their food, toys, everywhere.

WingedVictory

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Gary
If in doubt talk to your avian veterinarian about feather sprays before using them. What is considered right for one bird may not be correct for another. Below are a couple of links from the well noted avian vet Gregg Harrison. Individuals that feel they have proof aloe feather sprays are bad for birds may want to contact Dr. Harrison talk to him personally. As with any product please read the directions before using!

Testimonials

http://www.harrisonsbirdfoods.com/rc/rain.pdf

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
I first would like to apologize, as my last post can come off as arrogant or rude to some. Of course I and I am sure most here appreciate any and all information about people's experience. Whether I may agree or not.:hug8:
What gets me is the last part your friend wrote. It irks me when people say things like "but you read that on the internet" Or "oh, but that's just a forum" as if we are all just stupid, uneducated, and none of us know what we are talking about. Combined, we probably have millions of hours of hands on experience with all of us on "the internet".
This particular case, could have been the result of an allergy or sensitivity of this particular bird. I do not see any report from an avian vet confirming this was the cause. But that's not the point.
It insults us as intelligent, caring individuals, who strive to do 100% the best for all of our birds, when someone makes a blanket statement that we are all just a bunch of blithering idiots...

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
Short term aloe use for people is fine. Use of aloe long term has a drying effect and not a moisturizing effect.

Status
Not open for further replies.