• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Damaged dead non growing feather

Ariel

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ariel
So I have two question about my five year old CAG

I have had her for six months now, I will like to know if there is an age where they just take off with their learning and mimicking ability or age is not a factor, it’s just about how much interactions she get and how much I work with her and train.

Next is she has a feather, I believe a flight feather that was clipped in the past but I can clearly see that it’s a damaged dead non growing feather, its actuality just the stem, she is picking on it and I’m sure its bothering her, what to do about it, will it just fall out?

Thanks.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
If the feather is bothering her you can cut it off. Make sure it is not a blood feather first. You will know that by how the part attached the closest to the skin looks. If it is thin and white OK. If it is tube like with blood inside then it can also be removed but if you have never done this better have a medical professional remove the feather.

Is this bird not tame? What was her background? Is she 6 months old or older?

Ariel

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ariel
she is tamed, hand fed with a full ring band on her, I got her from someone off cregslist in NJ i believe I'm the 3rd owner, she bonded with me more then anyone else in my household, she regurgitates and rubes her beak agents my hand