• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Damaged Cage--What would you do?

maimaie

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Amy
We recently ordered a new cage for our GCC (his xmas gift)! I choose the largest cage that my husband and I could reasonably afford and fit into the house, LOL.

We picked this one: A&E Cage Company Split Level Playtop Bird Cage | bird Cages | PetSmart
Side Note: for those who are concerned, we won't use the "open top." It will remain closed at all times. We ordered this one because I was unable to find a similar size cage, with the features that I wanted, that did not come with an open top.

When it arrived, both the boxes were damaged. I checked what I could while the boxes were still on the truck and everything looked ok, so I accepted the delivery. Once we started assembly, I realized that there are a few pieces that are bent. The seed guards were probably bent during shipping, but I suspect the other issues are actually manufacturing defects (see pictures).

My husband thinks that we can bend the few pieces back into place that may cause a safety concern (the bars) and roll with it. I want to call the company and ask for a replacement (not the whole cage, just the damaged pieces).

What would you do?

P.S. I already called PetsMart and the customer service person that I spoke to was a little overwhelmed with my request. A supervisor is supposed to call me back on Tuesday. I also called A&E, but they are not open on the weekend. I should also note that there is one other piece that is bent that I was not able to get a good picture of.

Bent Seed Guard:
Seed Guard.jpg

Bent Post:
Post.jpg

Bent bars:
Bars1.jpg
Bars2.jpg

maimaie

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Amy
I agree that is should be perfect, which is why I want the pieces replaced, but I don't want to ask for a full replacement for two reasons.
1. It took several weeks to receive it, I am impatient and do not want to wait that long again. Plus, the original boxes are ruined. I have no clue how we will return it (or the damaged pieces for that matter)!
2. It comes in over 20 pieces (only including the sides, top, bottom, trays, and grate). If we get a new one the probability that something will be wrong with that one too is pretty high. I feel like if they are only shipping the 3 new pieces they are less likely to be damaged in transport.

MauiWendy

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Wendy
Ship the damaged cage back in the new boxes when the new cage comes. Don’t settle, you should get what you paid for. Did you take pic of the boxes before you opened them?

Sweet Louise

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
Email the maker and the store that sold the cage so you have documentation. I have been working on a cage replacement issue and the documentation has helped. prob no cage is going to arrive pristine except expandable habitats. I could work with most of the bent pieces with a rubber mallet but the rust, no. (rust was not on bent pieces). The bent seed guard does not look repairable. I do think if you try to bang it into shape, they will say you damaged the cage, so if you are going for full replacement, don't do that.... One thing that I read on here and was helpful was to run your hand along all edges to make sure they are smooth. I found 2 areas that were drilled and had sharp areas that needed to be filed.
I wonder if anyone on AA has received a new large cage did didn't have something wrong... The cage make is telling me to dispose of the cage when I receive the new one...

Feather

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
I would get just the damaged pieces replaced. Every single cage I've ever ordered online has arrived damaged in some way, so I feel you aren't wrong in thinking this would just be a rinse and repeat situation if you asked for a replacement of the entire cage.

Monster Truck's cage took an age to get here. The first one they sent was destroyed in transit (the day it was to be delivered!) and I didn't even get to see it before whatever was left of it was returned to sender. I had to contact the company and request that they send the replacement right away instead of the usual waiting period for returns that would put me without a cage for another 2-3 weeks. Mind you, MT was already here! :o: They did send it early, but when it arrived it had several bent places and the front panel was horribly crushed on the top. I tried to call their number to ask how long it would take for the replacement, but it was after hours. If I'd had the time, I would have waited to request a replacement for that front panel at least. As it was I had to drag the thing out to the front yard to attack it with a rubber mallet, screwdriver, monkey wrench, and the help of a very patient friend. :faint: I really didn't expect we'd be able to salvage the piece.

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
Yep, get them to at least send the replacement parts and if not that replace the whole cage, that thing got beat. I ordered a very cheap cage quite a while ago from amazon. A few bars were bent a bit so I just bent them back with no problems but it was like 115 bucks, not almost 700. A&E are known for top notch expensive cages so make them take care of it.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
That cage is absolutely NOT acceptable. They either need to send replacement parts or a new cage. Getting replacement parts would be easier so, hopefully, that can be done. If they won't just send parts and want to send a new cage find out if you can just bring the damaged cage back to Petsmart and let them take care of shipping it back. If that's not possible then when the new cage comes just put the damaged cage into those new boxes. Request that they expedite the shipping of the new cage because you already waited a long time for the damaged one. If they tell you that they will give you some $$ back if you keep the damaged cage don't accept that deal.

BTW, you generally do not have to send the damaged parts back.

maimaie

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Amy
Thank you all for your advice! When I called PetsMart the girl I spoke to was clearly in over her head. When I told her I could not return the cage to the store for a new one because it weight almost 200 lbs she was at a loss as to what to do. She said she could email me a return shipping label and I told her we did not have the pallet, the boxes were destroyed, and we had no pallet jack. She then told me a supervisor would call me back, but I thought for sure I would never hear from them.

Lo and behold, I got an email this afternoon! I asked for a full replacement and sent pictures. Once I hear back about how they are going to resolve this issue I will mention expediting the shipping.

greys4u

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
@maimaie I have a drop down door that is defective, the screws keep working themselves out. I have been speaking to the A&E company and emailing since Nov 8, 2018 and nothing has been done. Ask for replacement parts. Good luck!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@maimaie I have a drop down door that is defective, the screws keep working themselves out. I have been speaking to the A&E company and emailing since Nov 8, 2018 and nothing has been done. Ask for replacement parts. Good luck!
That's sad. My 3223 A&E play top came with badly dented trays, a bad lock and a bent bar on top which was easy to fix and not a major issue but the lock and trays were. Called and sent photos to My Bird Store and they sent replacement trays and a lock out to me and also gave me some $$ back on the cage.

greys4u

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
@iamwhoiam That is the exact cage I have for Valentine. The drop down door, I was lifting the drop down door up one night, she was on her cage door and thats when the screw came out. If I hadn't caught it she would be dead. Then a few days later the middle screw came out. (He's the one that mentioned calling the company)

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@iamwhoiam That is the exact cage I have for Valentine. The drop down door, I was lifting the drop down door up one night, she was on her cage door and thats when the screw came out. If I hadn't caught it she would be dead. Then a few days later the middle screw came out. (He's the one that mentioned calling the company)
Mine doesn't have the drop down door. Just a swing out door, feeder doors and a breeder door. Where did you purchase from? (My Bird Store??) I'm glad that Valentine was not injured. That is very scary.
This is what I have but not in Burgundy. A&E Play Top Cage Burgundy | Petco

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
I would have the whole thing replaced, you spent good money on the cage and it should have been perfect. Send them the pics, even the one you didn't post.
Totally agree. If you talk to anyone, make note of the date, the time and the person's name/employee #/anything that you can to prove you spoke to someone. A paper trail, even if electronic like email or FB messaging will be back up.

Ship the damaged cage back in the new boxes when the new cage comes. Don’t settle, you should get what you paid for. Did you take pic of the boxes before you opened them?
Make sure that if you DO send it back you have an RA (return authorization) for the cage. Cross out w/large black markers or tear off any labels (especially barcodes) from the replacement shipment. Tip I learned from my hairdresser - use scotch tape to remove old labels from boxes; Colleen learned that from working as a teenager in gift wrapping @ a dept. store.

I did not take a picture of the boxes; however, the delivery driver (who was super nice) said that he indicated the boxes were damaged on his audit.
Did you sign for the boxes and/or do you tracking notices with a tracking number? I'm assuming/hoping that when your cage shipped you got an email/text notice telling it had shipped. Ask UPS for a copy of the waybill because of damaged goods. Contact the vendor, in writing (email, FB messaging) if possible, telling them the item was badly damaged and you are asking for a replacement. Try to leave as much as a paper trail as possible and if you message them on FB attach the photos you have on this post. I am hoping that you paid for this cage w/a credit card because that will give you a good chance in case the vendor is not responsive and you end up having to dispute the charges.

I've worked in sales & marketing, shipping as well as accounts receivable & payable so I've seen more than I care to admit. I, personally, would not try to straighten any of the bent/damaged items because it could be used against you. You are your best advocate, be polite, you can be angry but don't be rude (as in cursing).

I had trouble with UPS once and found out the hard way that it was easier to get fast action out of UPS by messaging them on FB and telling them what was wrong. Versus calling their local #, their complaint # or any others you can find. You can also use FB messaging for PetSmart as well and, if necessary, post it publicly on PetSmart FB.

greys4u

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
@iamwhoiam when you said 3223 I assumed it was the cage number!

greys4u

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Mine is a fantop ry3223

maimaie

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Amy
An update!

After several weeks of back and forth (between myself and PetsMart, PetsMart and A&E, PetsMart and myself, PetsMart and A&E, ...) A&E decided that the damage to the cage was "purely cosmetic" and they would not replace the cage or any pieces. This is after I was told that they WOULD replace the damaged pieces and if that was not possible, the entire cage.

At this point our only option was a return and refund or keeping the cage as-is. If you recall, the boxes were destroyed in shipping, so option one is more difficult than it seems. Option two is not an option. I bought a new cage, I want a new cage. I was done dealing with the entire situation and got my husband involved. He informed them that our goal was 100% refund and removal of the cage as soon as possible. After more back-and-forth and several additional goof-ups, we were offered 100% refund of the purchase price and the cost to dispose of the cage.

So, I decided to try to fix the damage and put it together. The damage to this cage is extensive. But the manufacturing defects are more concerning. I am not able to fully assemble it because the holes are not in the right places and there are additional issues that I didn't notice before. In addition, the powder coating is chipping in several areas!

All that being said, I do not have the ability or the desire to repair this cage myself. If anyone is aware of someone in need of a cage and willing to come to my house to get it you can have it. All I want is an acknowledgment that the new owner understands the dangers of exposed metal and/or will have the powder coating reapplied to properly protect the feathers babies inside.

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
If I was close enough I'd take you up on that to have a backup or sleep cage. Glad you finally got it it sorted and your money back. It shouldn't be such a battle to get it dealt with. I had a boss that would just give folks their money back on minor stuff to keep them happy and coming back later for other things.