• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Daisy's Feather Incident

Status
Not open for further replies.

Red Jasper

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Elizabeth

:sad7:
It's just too much for this poor little bird. First the pneumonia and respiratory problem and now this morning I came to find him covered in blood and barely standing. We are fine now but here is the whole outline of what happened.

1. I find Daisy's left wing covered with coagulated blood clots. The cage's bottom has blood drops. The cage sides and dishes have blood smeared on them. Daisy's face and beak have blood on them.

2. I CALM down and take Daisy out gingerly with a towel and bring him upstairs with me along with: a Bactim spray, Aloe Vera gel, gauze.

3. I assess the bleeding then rinse away the excess clotting. Some of the clots were so big that they did not immediately wash down the drain. I wash off the blood from Daisy's face, leg and rest of his wing.

4. I find the source of the bleeding. It is a spot at the edge of his wing where I remember he dropped a feather from the previous night. I remember inspecting the feather and it was in one piece with its shaft in tact. I'm not sure at this point if it's a fracture or a blood feather situation.

5. After applying the Bactim with gauze and a dab of Aloe Vera gel I rush him to the vet.

6. Dr. M assesses Daisy's wing and states she doesn't feel a break but there is something off about the way it's swollen and tender. She takes him in back to look under a better light and then does an Xray to make sure it's not a very small fracture.

7. It's not a fracture. There is a tiny bit of feather shaft stuck in Daisy's wing that is causing continual bleeding and swelling. She needs to administer anesthesia to put him under and extract it because the edge of the wing has a lot of nerve endings and it would have been excruciating for Daisy to have that shaft piece removed without pain medication or anesthesia.

8. She does this along with giving an injection of Bupenorphine for pain, iron dextran and vitamin K1 for blood coagulation aid and subcutaneous fluids to rehydrate Daisy. She gets the bit of feather-shaft out of his folicle successfully after about 15 minutes of work.

9. She applies a little avian topical aid to the wound site and bandages Daisy's wing and Daisy slowly comes out of the anesthesia and is brought back to me in his carrier. He squeaks at me the moment he sees me and rests to take a nap.

10. Daisy will be fine. I was sent home with 3 more applications of the pain meds and told to administer .02 ml of metacam (anti inflamatory) which I already have at home. Daisy will be out of it for a little while so I am told not to feed him his formula until this evening when his stomach settles from the anesthesia and pain meds. I am also told he may not want to take the entire dose of formula tonight because of the drug aftereffects. He is to keep his bandage on until Monday.​

I cried all the way to the vet because I just feel so badly for my little Daisy! In 5 years he's never had any problems and then suddenly in the past month he nearly dies then nearly bleeds to death. He is such a strong bird but it just breaks my heart to see him suffer like this. He was so well behaved and cooperative through the whole thing and I'm so proud of him but I just feel so awful. This was not a really common situation where a feather shaft gets stuck like this. It's usually a blood feather that gets broken or won't stop bleeding.

I hope my step by steps will help for anyone who might have an emergency similar to this in the future. It just felt important for me to share the process my vet took with you.

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
A big huge:hug8: for you and Daisy Man. Your a great Mom and your doing fine.

Ginger

*K*J*B*

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kylee
Glad to hear that Daisy will be okay. How scary that must have been. :hug8:

Red Jasper

Real Name
Elizabeth
Thank you.
Here's a photo of my little Daisy.
He's eager to wander about even with a sling on his wing.
I padded his cage because he really wanted to back in there
instead of sitting in his carrier.

I'll try some formula for him in a couple hours.

Last edited:

Jeddy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Jan
Wow what a great job you did. That is really great you listed everything out. Very smart .

Big hugs for Daisy and you.

Daisy looks great even with the bandage:hug8:

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
you did a wonderful job..so sorry about Daisy..big hugs and prayers

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Poor Daisy. I'm so glad he will be fine. What an ordeal for the both of you. :hug5:

Red Jasper

Real Name
Elizabeth
Thank you so much, everyone.

I was able to get Daisy's full formula dose into him without protest and he has not vomited it up. He is sleeping now and I've got the humidifier plus some extra heat on him.

And this is pretty much me right now:
:sleeping3:

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
:hug8::hug8:

Brigidt36

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Brigid Thompson
What a tough little guy your Daisy is. You two have been put through the wringer, that's for sure. So glad he is going to be okay. Get some rest now, the two of you.

Fuzzy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
:hug8: Glad all is ok in the house of Daisy. :hug8:

Daisy's Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tiffany
I'm sooo happy to hear that little Daisy is on the mend... What a little cutie pie and a little trooper too.. :heart: Also I really appreciate the steps that you wrote for us in caring for him... We can all learn from each other.. :heart: :hug8:

mizbirdy

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tina
Just seeing this tread, what a cute little trooper Daisy is! I'm glad he's ok & appreciate you posting the steps you & your vet took. :hug8: to you & Daisy!

Status
Not open for further replies.