• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Daily Health Examinations

clicketty

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Ashlyn
Sorry if this has been asked before, I feel like it should be a common topic but I haven't seen any threads :)

When I take Rin out of his cage, I always check a few things to make sure he is physically feeling good. I check his bum to make sure that there is no yellowing and I feel his chest to see if theres anything that feels off. I look at his nares to see if theres any drainage. I also check his focus by waving a finger around and seeing how he responds.

Is there anything that you all check while giving your birdies daily examinations? Just simple quick things?

When feeling the crop, what exactly should be felt for? Fullness? Nothing concave?

Are there any bloated areas of the body that should be checked?

For a budgie, anything on the cere? Anything on the feet or legs? Any discoloration spots?

Everything is open to discussion, I'd like to see how everyone here makes sure their birds are feeling good :)

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I pretty much just check sunny's droppings.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I just make sure they are active, and check their droppings. I would notice any other things, like nare discharge, feather problems, etc. while I am interacting with them.

~Drini~

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Ana
I really just check for anything that might be out of the ordinary. I don't go as far as to feel my birds' crops, but I do all the visual checks (stool, eyes, etc.). I also keep track of their feather condition because it can tell a lot.

I know that male budgies are really susceptible to testicular tumors around ages 5+. This comes with the cere becoming rather brownish, like a female. These types of tumors tend to press on leg nerves and can even render a budgie paralyzed in that leg. Although Rin is young (if I remember correctly), I'd just do a feel around his leg area every now and then to feel for any lumps. I can't remember any other things that budgies are specifically susceptible to, but this is one of them. I used to hang out a LOT on a budgie forum and many members would report this type of tumor.

clicketty

Real Name
Ashlyn
@~Drini~ thanks for the information on those tumors! He's a couple of years old but now I'll be ready if it comes to that :)

About the feathers, I know about stress bars. Is there anything else to watch out for such as dulled colors or weak shafts? Rinny is beginning his molt right now so I think this would be the perfect time to check for anything :)

~Drini~

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Ana
@~Drini~ thanks for the information on those tumors! He's a couple of years old but now I'll be ready if it comes to that :)

About the feathers, I know about stress bars. Is there anything else to watch out for such as dulled colors or weak shafts? Rinny is beginning his molt right now so I think this would be the perfect time to check for anything :)

I mostly look out for stress bars, dull feathers, and unkept feathers. Sick or unhealthy birds tend to worry less about preening, but don't overstress about it, especially if he is molting. I haven't heard of checking for weak shafts, but maybe there is something to it?

clicketty

Real Name
Ashlyn
I haven't heard of checking for weak shafts, but maybe there is something to it?

It was vague, but I was checking out a video about a falcon and I believe the caretakers were talking about bendy feather shafts. I take it with a grain of salt as I've never heard about it again.

~Drini~

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Ana
It was vague, but I was checking out a video about a falcon and I believe the caretakers were talking about bendy feather shafts. I take it with a grain of salt as I've never heard about it again.

In falconry I believe the state of the flight feathers are especially important because of the role they play in flight and hunting. I've even seen some raptors getting feathers grafted in after losing flights. They may have been referring to the falcon's ability to fly rather than its health, but I could be wrong.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I just do a visual inspection because the only thing I can lightly touch is a beak. It's always g good to inspect the bottom of a birds foot to look for any pressure areas.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Will he sit on a small scale for you? Keeping track of a bird's weight can be very helpful. You would want to watch for any major weight drops, or gains. A 10% percent drop in weight should be taken seriously in my opinion.

Matt

BirdCatLady

Jogging around the block
Real Name
April
I do daily checks of his poop, and because he's so active around his cage, I'll also check his vent and surrounding area, usually once a day or every other day (very easily done when he's dangling upside down in his cage!). I'll also look on his feet to make sure that there are no sores (again, easy to check when he's hanging on the side of his cage and doing his "push-ups"). Anything else -- cloudy eyes, discharge from his nares -- I'd notice just with interacting with him. I also try to keep an eye on his feathers (as a new parront I've been concerned about him being a feather plucker, since the move here was kinda stressful, but he appears to be doing ok in that area also!).