• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Daily Dose of Sunshine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kodigirl210

Rollerblading along the road
As we all know, true sunlight is very important for the health of our fids. This is my hooman daughter who has been taking the kids to the park for their daily dose of sunshine :laugh:

4A97A4EE-782A-4F1F-A344-42B495B920DE.jpeg

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Great picture ❤

Just be very careful, even clipped birds can flutter away or be scooped up by unexpected predators :(

are they clipped?
You can see on the picture there are no flight feathers

I would love to take Dora out sometime, but I'm afraid of him flying away or something.
Buy a harness. Start by just leaving the harness on the table in front of her and getting her comfortable around it before attempting to put it on her. Aviator harnesses come with a how-to DVD ;)

Last edited:

Kodigirl210

Only the one is clipped and we are letting her flight feathers grow in.

We are confident in our fids because we spend practically every moment with them and we got quality birds from a quality breeder.

When I come from work Pippin (Turquoise) will spring off the perch and fly straight to me and make me step back. It’s funny how such a tiny fluff of feathers can make such a big impact.

As for other things, yes it’s true, anything can happen. You remain vigilant and you prepare the best you can. However, if you live your life tucked away, clutching everything you care about until it strangled to death and afraid to do anything then there’s no point in living. ;)

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Sunlight is indeed very important! How awesome that they are getting proper socialization. But taking them outside with proper flight training is very dangerous, regardless of your bond with them. They are not trained to fly in strong winds and avoid predators. This website has Some great info:) We shouldn’t keep them in glass boxes I think, but prepare them as best as we can for the dangers they could face:)
So you want to train your pet parrot for freeflight…. | Learning Parrots

Avian Training and Flight Instruction

AutumnRain

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kelsey
Very cute. I'm getting a Pak-o-bird for Emery to go out in with me when it's warm enough. I live in the country now, and we have so many predators here that there's no way I can take her out safely without one. We have seagulls, owls, hawks, etc., which is why I'm not even willing to use just a harness on her. Today it's sleeting out, so it's not quite nice enough for her to be out just yet, but seeing your photo makes me so excited to take her outside when it's nice enough. :)

Kodigirl210

@Sylvester - yes they are. Sif unfortunately has to do more training before I let her out and even then she will have a harness. However our little ones are already quite well and adjusted nicely from doing recall in the house to outside ;)

Sylvester

Hit the Road
@Sylvester - yes they are. Sif unfortunately has to do more training before I let her out and even then she will have a harness. However our little ones are already quite well and adjusted nicely from doing recall in the house to outside ;)
Can't wait to see Sif looking so smart in her cute harness. You sure are a good parrot mother, anybody can tell how happy and healthy those little cuties are. One suggestion: Just make sure to scour the sky for anything that evenly remotely resembles a hawk, those damn things are EVERYWHERE.

Kodigirl210

Haha we do. Since our balcony overlooks the park we just go out there and do a risk assessment. We look for hawks/crows/ ravens. We check to see if and how many dogs/people/kids are in the park before going out. We love our fids & won’t put them at unnecessary risk. & yup I still love the Hello Kitty harness on Sif lol :D

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
How can you take them out so confidently?
Just be very careful, even clipped birds can flutter away or be scooped up by unexpected predators :(
But taking them outside with proper flight training is very dangerous, regardless of your bond with them. They are not trained to fly in strong winds and avoid predators.
Asking for tragedy IMO
Sorry to say it but it doesn't matter what you are saying. Read here: Does your Grey Sleep? | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

and we got quality birds from a quality breeder.
Very strange comment. Does this mean that a quality bird don't need flight training?
You remain vigilant and you prepare the best you can. However, if you live your life tucked away, clutching everything you care about until it strangled to death and afraid to do anything then there’s no point in living. ;)
Another strange comment.
I can assure you that I value my life very high and my birds safety always comes first.
We are going on smaller trips together in their stroller. (where they are safe) And we do a lot of other things together, but safety always comes first.
The day I make something irresponsible and egoistical, and because of that loose them, that will be the day when there’s no point of living.
Someday I hope you will see the difference, because I'm sure of that your birds want's to live.

Kodigirl210

Well I’m glad me & my fids enjoy going out and living as do tons of other people and their fids. I’m so happy that I would not be so risk adverse that I stopped doing everything or anything except staying at home - Yuck!! Life is to be experienced in all its messy glory. I can’t even begin to imagine not being able to step out my front door and letting the sunshine in or going out and letting my family enjoy it. :heart::heart:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I agree sunshine is important.
My birds get their cages pushed outside where I sit with them to protect them.
And I take Sydney out in a harness, which is also very risky (I never do it alone). Taking a bird outside will always be risky and dangerous, but not having a cage or harness is just too risky IMHO.

The idea of being able to take your birds outside with no cage or harness is too good to be true. We do not live in such a world unfortunately.

In my short time on this forum, I have seen members write about:
  • nightmares/depression they are experiencing after watching cats take their birds away from their own garden
  • birds flying away (clipped or not)
  • hawks attacking birds in a cage in the garden
  • hawks snatching birds off the owners shoulder whilst in a harness
the tragic list goes on....

I hope you understand that people are just looking out for you and your birds. You would be devastated if anything wer to happen to them, and no matter what we think of your choices, we would not want to see you suffer such tragedy.

Sylvester

Hit the Road
Sorry to say it but it doesn't matter what you are saying. Read here: Does your Grey Sleep? | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

Very strange comment. Does this mean that a quality bird don't need flight training?

Another strange comment.
I can assure you that I value my life very high and my birds safety always comes first.
We are going on smaller trips together in their stroller. (where they are safe) And we do a lot of other things together, but safety always comes first.
The day I make something irresponsible and egoistical, and because of that loose them, that will be the day when there’s no point of living.
Someday I hope you will see the difference, because I'm sure of that your birds want's to live.

Eloy, funny how I don't find any of your comments strange, in fact, I find them par for the course.

Kodigirl210

:fairy2:I understand everyone has concerns but I’m an adult and I make decisions and do things that work for myself and my family. I neither expect nor ask you to make my or live by my decisions. Please have the same respect for me.

For those who felt the need to take over the thread and make it about them, please feel free to start your own thread since I now use the block feature & can’t see what’s being said anyway.

I apologize to those who posted in the light hearted spirit of the OP to have it veer off.

I will continue to take my birds out without harnesses on the GCCs and I will continue to allow them to be fully flighted inside and outside. After all, what are wings for except to fly? :fairy::fairy::fairy:

painesgrey

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rachel
A concern for the safety of your birds isn't a personal, and isn't an ad hominem attack.

I used to take Pippin out without a harness when he was clipped, before I fully understood the risks. I was outside with him one time when he got spooked by a bird flying overhead, and took off from my shoulder. He made it about 40-50 feet and around the side of the garage before he landed on the ground. Had a predator been around, I doubt I'd have gotten to him in time. He was well trained to stay on my shoulder, but his instincts overtook his training and there was nothing there to stop him.

I've never taken him outside without a harness since. I count myself lucky that my lesson wasn't a tragedy.

painesgrey

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rachel
Doers anyone think it would be possible to bring a lovebird out on a harness (Talking about my Pippin bird)

Yes! Many people take their smaller birds out in harnesses. If your bird doesn't like harnesses, you can still take them outside for some sunshine in a well-secured travel cage. :) I do both regularly.

Status
Not open for further replies.