• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent cyst

Pam slusser

Moving in
Real Name
Pam
I have a harlequin Macaw that has a cyst on his face I took him to am avian vet and he confirmed it was a cyst but now there is a bright white spot on top of the cyst he still is active and eats well I can’t get an appointment until Tuesday was wondering if anyone has seen this before?

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
JMHO, I would find a ER urgent care avian vet as soon as possible. That looks infected to me and needs care.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Darned macaws. They get all sorts of bumps and lumps on their faces - not uncommon, but need to be watched.

Like others have said it will probably need to be drained and the contents analyzed. If it gets worse or seems to be hurting her get her into your vet on an emergency basis. Otherwise, Tuesday will be fine.

Yes, we do love them a lot.

Pam slusser

Moving in
Real Name
Pam
Thank you all for great advice I called my Emergency vet he asked to see the picture and said the same thing you all said he said I could bring him in on Monday normal business hours so no Evet fees,Harvey is eating well and playing so I'll take him in Monday or Tuesday.So glad I found this forum,also I'm glad we have the technology to send pictures so the vet could take a look.

Last edited:

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
@Pam slusser How long have you had this cutie? :heart:

I hope the contents of the cyst are benign and he heals up quick!

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Glad you got ahold of your vet, poor little sweetie. :(

I've had quite a few removed over the years. Its a good size for a facial one. Just don't look when they drain it, it hurts us more then them I think. Let us know how it goes.