cuttlebone; when is it too much?

Discussion in 'Feathered Food Court' started by Joey, 10/2/10.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joey

Joey Hit the Road

i got grey some cuttlebones, just to be on the safe side, and hung one in his cage today. he paid attention to it and started chewing smalls bits off and grinding them. seems to be normal, but i just want to know.. when is it too much? i read that an overload of calcium (even just 1% above) can cause serious health problems for an african grey.

how can i know if he's fine with calcium, or if he's taking in too much?
  2. Billie Faye

Billie Faye Biking along the boulevard Avenue Spotlight Award

Billie Faye
    I don't like giving my birds the whole thing because of the "hard" back of it...it can cut the intestines/or crop...
    What I do is scrap some onto their fresh foods about every 3rd day...Feeding cooked chicken leg bone is alright also to help with a different sorce of calcium for him and add some meat to his diet too...they love to crack open the bone and eat the merrow out of it...:hug8:
    :hug8:
  3. ncGreyBirdLady

ncGreyBirdLady They call Me crazy like its a bad thing! Administrator Celebirdy of the Month Avenue Spotlight Award

Bonnie
    The Problem with Grey's Joey-is that without all of the proper vitamins/minerals and Sunlight(Vit D3) in proportion to the Calcium,they cannot metabolize the Calcium.
    Here is a Link that explains the dangers of cuttlebone(and how to use it safer.And the Fact that Mineral blocks would be better!
    Are Cuttlebone or Mineral Blocks Better for Parrots? | QuakerParrots.com
    Here is alink explaining the balance needed for a Healthy Happy Bird
    Winged Wisdom Pet Bird Magazine - Calcium, Phosphorus & Vitamin D3 in Diets for Parrots and Birds
    Hope these help!
    BF Is right about the Chicken bones(well cooked)! I try to give My Grey's one at least once a week!My Gemini has not had a seizure in many years now-since She gets Her chicken bones:hug8:
  4. Joey

Joey Hit the Road

thanks for the input. i figured mineral blocks were a better choice, since they have more minerals.. but the ones i got from around here are too thick, and look really scary. all my parrots were afraid of them at first, and then there was the problem of not being able to put a dent into them. they're so big that they look like they were mainly made for macaws. i like cuttlebones because of how easily they can be broken and grinded.

but yeh now i have another similar question; for mineral blocks, do i just keep them in the cage (one block, obviously) all the time, or just once a week for grey to chew on a bit to get any minerals he's running low on?
  5. ncGreyBirdLady

ncGreyBirdLady They call Me crazy like its a bad thing! Administrator Celebirdy of the Month Avenue Spotlight Award

Bonnie
    Joey,I keep a mineral block available to My fids at all times.They Seem to know when they need to munch on them:hug8:
  6. atvchick95

atvchick95 Biking along the boulevard

Kelli
    all my birds have mineral blocks (shaped like pineapples) of course they're nothing more than a poop magnet LOL but occasionally I will see a couple using it

Cuttle bones We can't keep enough of those There are times none of the birds will touch them, then next thing we know we're replacing them once sometimes twice a week (that is mainly for the breeders they devour them) BUT if you look in the tray of my cages that is where MOST of the cuttle bone goes - They do ingest some but the biggest part is down in the tray.
  7. Joey

Joey Hit the Road

awesome, good to know.
    isn't their intelligence simply amazing? <3

@kelli, which type of mineral blocks do you use? i always get the big circular ones, but the surface is always soo SMOOTH and i notice it's hard for the birds to chew off even just a tiny bit. ;\ any suggestions on how to fix that? do i need to scrape the smooth layer off?
  8. atvchick95

atvchick95 Biking along the boulevard

Kelli
    not sure if you can get the same kind over there but mine are from 8 N 1, and they are shaped like Pineapples

Looks just like these ones (the yellow one)

[​IMG]

Pet smart has them (that's where i got the pic from) Walmart also has them, That's where I get mine from since I don't go through them so much I usually just have to pick up a couple when I get a new bird If I didn't have any extra ones

We've also used 2 in 1's - which is a cuttle bone in the middle and mineral block around it
    [​IMG]

and a Mineral Cup - came with a package of seed treats that sit inside

[​IMG]
    same as above just different few
    [​IMG]
    Last edited: 10/2/10
  9. Stacy_b

Stacy_b Rollerblading along the road

Stacy
    To stop them from becoming poop magnets hang them higher in the cage or from the roof. Kira likes to play bat and pick at them
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)