• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cuttlebone for male budgies?

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Do I need a cuttlebone and mineral block for Ocean and Charlie since they are males? They do eat pellets.

Anneka

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Yes :)
Calcium is needed not only for egg laying but also for strong bones.

Last edited:

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Thanks, Gerard, I'll check the ingredients.

Edit: It's Roudybush Mini Maintenance Pellets that I bought from the breeder to start sine that's what she weans them onto. It has plenty of calcium in it so I'll take out the cuttlebone.

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
So they don't need the mineral block either because of the pellets?

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Yes, they are eating their pellets and I also add pellets to their birdie bread. I will take the mineral block out as well then. Thanks everyone.

sthiele

Budgie Bunch
Real Name
Steve
My budgies have cuttlebones and mineral blocks. I don't see them eat either, but they love to shred them and they help keep their beaks trimmed. Keep in mind with budgies, pellets should only be a small percentage of their overall diet. Too much pellets in their diet can cause kidney issues and gout.

Anneka

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Good point Stormcloud!
And the same goes to Sthiele!

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
I've kept a tablespoon of pellets in their cage since they've been home to see how much of pellet eaters they are and they just nibble at it a little in the morning before breakfast and in the evening when they get their seeds. They get about an inch of birdie bread every other day that has a cup of pellets for the whole pan. They eat fresh and cooked veggies, sprouts, cooked grains, and 3 tsp seed daily (with 1 tsp Unpellet mixed in) at night and a small amount of fruit occasionally (their not interested in fruit at this point). I haven't given nuts yet but will offer a little almond and walnut probably as training treats.

So now I'm confused as to whether or or not to use cuttlebone. :wacky:

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
If their diet isnt a good percentage of pellets, I think additional calcium would be OK?

WeasleyLover

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Maddy
I've always given cuttlebones to my budgies, both male and female. They use them more as a toy then something they eat. :p

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
My male budget does not eat the cuttlebone but female Daisy loves it. I would say use the cuttlebone because birds seem to know when to eat it and when not to.

sthiele

Budgie Bunch
Real Name
Steve
Like Dianne mentioned, you'll find birds know when they need to use cuttlebones or mineral blocks. Most birds look at them like toys and if your budgies aren't big on chewing on soft woods like balsa, they'll need something to aid in trimming their beaks.

Willow12

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Holly
None of my birds have cuttlebones in their cage! I also feed Roudy Bush pellets and I also give Avivita Plus that has everything they need too have. :smuggrin: