• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Curl Crested Breeders?

MinkFeathers

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Logan
Hello again!

I am still trying to find and reach out to breeders of curl crested aracaris. I know that Jennings is a top breeder, but he did tell me he may not be around in a year or two. So, while he is my 1st choice, I would like to know of other potential breeders as well.

I also have a question about breeding. If I should fall utterly in love wirh this species, I may want to be a private breeder to help ensure these birds stay circulated in the US thanks to the restrictions of import/export from their native country. However, when I get 1, I will want it to be 'bonded' to me. Is it possible to breed 2 'pets' or do most birds only breed when left alone in a pair?

At this current time, I don't have plans to be a breeder because I seriously only want 1 bird, but it was a curiosity that bounced around my brain for a bit.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
:bump7:

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Jason Crean is the the one who comes to mind - I believe he also breeds mouse birds. Beaks Birdhouse

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
BUT since he owns one, he might know where to go to get one. I know he has one because I met it and have a crappy photo of it from the AFA in Chicago last year. Absolutely beautiful bird in person and ever so calm ... at the sign in desk of a convention no less.

MinkFeathers

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Logan
Oh cool! I didn't know he had one. =)

Thanks for that inside info, maybe I will take your advice and bug him a bit lol.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
There are very few people who breed toucan species in the US, and even fewer who are widely known. Jerry Jennings worked with importing curl crested aracaris, and has sold pairs to other people. He or Jason Crean would be your best shot at finding another breeder.

Matt

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Curl crested aracari are beautiful birds to see in person.

Matt

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
Thanks for the great advice! I have been talking to Jason and theough him found someone VERY close to me who breed greens, ivories, and curls! Still talking to that breeder and hope they allow me to visit them so I can see an aracari for 'real' before buying one.

=)
We'll have lost you to the aracari forum .... I have to see if I can find my photo from the AFA convention.

Buttersquash

Meeting neighbors
There's a 25 pg .PDF doc entitled "The Aracaris" by a Josef Lindholm, I believe, that you can find online and talks extensively on breeding.

I've heard that former hand tame pets "can" turn into successful breeders and still remain tame, but 1) you don't want to wait too long (or they won't pair bond to the other bird) and 2) you can't mess with them during breeding season.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
He was really neat to look at it looked like the curly crest part had had Brylcreem put on it and someone had used a very very small curling iron to make all those tight knit curls. Plus the "freckles" were a cute finishing touch. :heart::heart::heart::heart:

MinkFeathers

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Logan
Thanks for the info. I spoke with Jason about his and he says that his curl is 'moodier' than his greens and ivories. It was a bit hard for him to explain though.

Can anyone else elaborate on a potentially 'moody' aracari?

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Since he has only one, it's probably because its a companion. Pets can be more demanding of their people, aka moodier, than breeders. I would not think that his one moody one would be the general for the whole species :)