1. Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Curious, what product helps rid of parasites on a parrots wing?

Discussion in 'Behavior Byway' started by Hawk12237, 6/11/19 at 9:41 PM.

1. Hawk12237

Hawk12237 Rollerblading along the road

Michael
    Hi all,
    Have a friend that has a yellow headed amazon, and seems to have an issue with probably mites on its wing.
    We tried to have a closer look but didn't see anything out right. He's is good at getting bird to vet if need be. But also is open to try other remedies.
    Ask if I knew of any products sold that he could pick up. So I basically told I him that I honestly do not know. I never had issues with my birds. Clean cage and regular baths is key to prevention , it is my routine.
    I don't even know of any products safe to use
    out there.
    What's anyone's take or feed back on that?

2. JLcribber

JLcribber Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran Shutterbugs' Best

John
    A professional accurate diagnosis first my friend. Then a recommended treatment. Which may or may not involve a home remedy.

3. finchly

finchly Biking along the boulevard Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran I Can't Stop Posting!

Tanya
    I use SCATT. One drop on the skin (not feathers, and it’ll be more drops for bigger birds I suspect) lasts for 3 weeks, I always dose a second time on day 21 to get rid of any that might have hatched. Kills many mite species.
    You’ll also want to treat the area in/around cage, for that I use Avian Insect Liquidator.

A vet can easily identify feather mites under a microscope.

A little more on mites, it says Gouldian, it can be any parrot. Types of Mites Found on Finches, Canaries, and Parrots - Gouldian Finch Information Center

4. Hawk12237

Michael
    Should of worded my post better, he is taking bird to vet...I think this after noon. What I guess I was getting at for home remedies is the cage and room in which the bird is in. Vet will treat the bird, but if you don't treat the root cause, then it will start all over. So it's what's best for the cage and room I was wondering about that's not too harsh.
    I'm about 80 percent sure the bird has mites.
    Because I also seen a lot of those tiny moths at his house. Needs to take care of that problem because they are getting in birdfood there. his cage needs a power wash for sure.

JLcribber and Ripshod like this.
  5. Hankmacaw

Hankmacaw Biking along the boulevard Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

Mary Lynn Skinner
    Sounds as if he needs a few lessons in parrot husbandry too. I'm sure you are giving him those lessons.

Shezbug and Hawk12237 like this.
  6. Hawk12237

Michael

Ahhh that's what I was looking for, the stuff to clean in and around cage...liquidator, that's it! Couldn't remember what that stuff was called.
    Never heard of scatt, is it safe? I've personally never had a problem with my birds, but one can always be ready especially this year with all the rain, comes the bugs.
    Thanks Tanya!!!

JLcribber and finchly like this.
  7. Hawk12237

Michael
    yes that too!!! his first parrot, which he's had for nearly 3 years, but slacking off I see in proper cleaning....I've had people tell me I spend too much time cleaning up after my birds and power washing cages. But there's a reason for that, I like clean healthy birds!

Shezbug, JLcribber and Hankmacaw like this.
  8. finchly

finchly Biking along the boulevard Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran I Can't Stop Posting!

Tanya
    Yes SCATT is extremely safe. I have used it for years. I have mostly finches and canaries, we finch people treat for various things on a regular (quarterly) basis . For some reason people with bigger birds tend not to do that.

Oh I know why. It’s the other way round: parrots can go to the vet, the littles often can’t - many areas don’t have vets to treat finches.so we do a lot more DIY.

You’re welcome.

Hawk12237 likes this.
  9. sunnysmom

sunnysmom Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

Michelle
    If he has seed moths, they're tough to get rid of. I've been battling them since I bought an infected batch of seeds from an aviary. They sell special traps specifically for seed moths that are bird safe. And then likely, he'll need to throw a lot of things out. Mine got into crackers, oatmeal, etc. And then I had to scrub all of my cupboards. They will even lay eggs in the seams of wallpaper. So you really have to do a thorough clean.

Shezbug and Hawk12237 like this.
  10. finchly

Tanya
    How often do you power wash? Are your cages inside, and you have to move them out to wash?

Ours are deep inside, have to push through a hallway annd couple rooms, then across lanai down steps and into yard. By then if there was dust/feathers/debris it’s everywhere.

Hawk12237 likes this.
  11. finchly

Tanya
    Oh gawd. Don’’t get me started. They’re awful!
    We cleaned and cleaned and cleaned. Did a few traps. Threw out bird and people food. Did it all again. Trashed all our dry foods again.

I bought a freezer and now all bird foods go directly to freezer; I don’t want to go through that again!

Shezbug, Hawk12237 and sunnysmom like this.
  12. sunnysmom

sunnysmom Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

Michelle
    They're terrible. I've even tried putting things in zip lock baggies and the moths lay eggs on the baggie. Grrrr. I thought I had it completely under control but we just saw a few more this week.

Shezbug, Hawk12237 and finchly like this.
  13. Hawk12237

Michael

Oh god, those seed moths are a pain in the butt!! I once bought some bulk parrot seed mixture as it was non gmo, and quite a nice blend. But when I got home the fun began...moths were coming from everywhere.
    Dang things get into everything. Must say I don't buy bulk anymore.

sunnysmom likes this.
  14. Hawk12237

Michael

Yep, my cages are inside, I power wash from early spring to about october, weather permitting.
    Must like to get wet if you power wash...but gets cage clean as new. Power wash about every 6 weeks. Haul them out side and blast away.

finchly likes this.
  15. sunnysmom

Michelle
    Sounds like me and the specialty seed I was buying. No more. I just buy Higgins now. LOL.

Hawk12237 and finchly like this.
  16. LunaLovebird

LunaLovebird Rollerblading along the road Avenue Spotlight Award Shutterbugs' Best

If seed moths are the same as pantry moths, they are the actual worst. Last time I got them was in a big batch of millet I bought in bulk. The cardboard traps work really well in my experience, but the only way I ever got totally rid of them was storing food in the freezer or air tight jars, and making sure I changed over the bird’s dry food every day or two.

sunnysmom, Shezbug and Hawk12237 like this.
  17. Hawk12237

Michael
    That's what I do now, tight containers and even a fridge just for birds in pantry.

sunnysmom likes this.
  18. Hawk12237

Michael
    Well this after noon stopped by the avian store and got some of that liquidator and took my power washer over to his house and we hauled cage outside.
    Wasn't that bad, I've seen far worse in some rescues. But he mentioned something that made me stop and a light bulb went off.
    His bird was confirmed by vet as having a very mild case of mites on wing, or under I guess.
    He mentioned he boarded his bird 3 weeks ago for 5 days as he went out of town on short notice, But I got thinking, bird got that from being boarded.
    That got me thinking, there's no guide lines about bringing any bird in for boarding. I mean if you board a dog, you have to have all shots and vaccinations up to date or you won't get your dog through door.
    But with birds it's not the case....some body could bring an invested bird in and your screwed!

Last edited: 6/12/19 at 9:10 PM
    finchly, Ripshod and Shezbug like this.
  19. finchly

Tanya
    Boy that's the truth. And with all the illnesses that are airborne, it's really a crapshoot. Not to mention parasites as your friend found out.

Another good reason to bring a pet sitter in.

20. Hankmacaw

Hankmacaw Biking along the boulevard Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

Mary Lynn Skinner

That is one of several reasons that I only board Jasper at her vet's. Any bird who board there has had an examination before boarded and she has immediate veterinarian care if she needs it. Besides the techs and admin crew spoil the heck out of her and carry her around most of the time. She has been Dr. Drigger's patient for 21 years.

Hawk12237 and Shezbug like this.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)