1. Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Curious about your birds' diets!

Discussion in 'Feathered Food Court' started by Comet, 2/10/19.

1. Comet

Comet Meeting neighbors

My budgies are on Hagen Gourmet budgie seed (for the breeding pair) and Living World Premium budgie seed (for non-breeding birds), as well as sprouted Hagen Original budgie seed, with Higgins Sunburst leafy greens and herbs added as a daily topping. I also offer crumbled freeze dried crickets on occasion, which they seem to really enjoy, along with some fruits, veggies, and fresh herbs, whenever they are accepted. Some of my birds are pickier than others!
    The button quails are on essentially the same diet as the budgies, with the addition of more crickets, and live mealworms.

What do you give your birds, and what are some of your (their!) favourite foods/products?

AKahle6868 likes this.
  2. expressmailtome

expressmailtome Ripping up the road Administrator Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

Matthew
  3. Mizzely

Mizzely Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran Vendor BINGO CHAMPION

Shawna
    Ripley is on a mostly pellet diet right now after being on seed only for 19 years before coming to live with me. I offer him chop daily even though he rarely eats it. He's currently on Zupreem fruity but I'm hoping to get him onto Hagen Tropican someday.

He also gets a mash a couple times a week with Harrison's mash or baby bird formula mixed with orange vegetable baby food, red palm oil, almond butter, some Volkman seeds, and supplements as he is still under weight and has symptoms from malnourishment.

I fill his foraging toys with in shell almonds, Nutriberries, and Caitec oven fresh bites.

Last edited: 2/12/19
    Gen120 and Comet like this.
  4. pawprintedheart

pawprintedheart Sprinting down the street Avenue Veteran

Valerie
    My GCC's are mostly on Hagen Tropican, though the store we've been buying it from the past five years suddenly stopped carrying it, so I grabbed a bag of roudy bush to tide us over until my Amazon shipment arrives tomorrow. So they're getting a mix of Hagen and Roudybush and seem to be enjoying it. They also get offered chop regularly and are finally starting to attempt some newer veggies. Cauliflower was always a heck no from them both, but they've recently decided they're enjoying it. They get nutriberries as an occasional treat as well. And I really, really want to get back to sprouting for them on a regular basis as well.

Comet likes this.
  5. AutumnRain

AutumnRain Sprinting down the street

Kelsey
    I feed Emery Roudybush Maintenance Pellets (the mini size) for her breakfast. I leave any leftovers for her to eat if she's hungry throughout the day. I also give her scrambled eggs twice a week, fruit twice a week, almonds, and some kind of vegetables every morning.

At night, I add any pellets that she hasn't finished during the day to her seed mix. I just switched her over to a good quality seed mix, which is TOPS Napoleon Seed Mix. I can sprout that for her, but I haven't tried doing so yet. I would like to though. I just need to do a bit more research on the process first. She also gets a small amount of millet as treats off and on throughout the day.

Her favorite things to eat so far: seeds, organic parsley, organic kale, cauliflower, spinach (I don't give that very often since it can affect calcium absorption if given too often), scrambled eggs, and almonds. :)

Comet likes this.
  6. AKahle6868

AKahle6868 Strolling the yard

I feed Gracie, my GCC, a mix of her old garbage all seed diet, Roudybush mini pellets, and Higgins Gold seed mix without peanuts and sunflower seeds. I will eventually mix in some Zupreem fruit pellets once she adapts to less seed in her diet overall. She also gets homemade bird bread in the morning with lots of veggies and a chopped fruit in the evening and nutriberries as treats throughout the day.

Comet likes this.
  7. Erikalynnha

Erikalynnha Jogging around the block

Erika
    My four get Harrison High Potency Fine/ Mazuri Small Bird Pellet mix at all times. They get different fresh veggies and fruit (dandelion greens, sweet peppers, carrots, broccoli, cucumbers, different berries) everyday except Thursdays. Thursdays Mayan Mash day lol. I sprout for them too but have to buy more from Sproutspeople. I also mix Herb Salad with alittle hemp seed in a bowl for them. At bed time they get alittle Red Palm Oil or Coconut Oil with a Sweet Potato Minis or Chai Kale Crisps from AO.

Uchtred, Lennerd and Papaya love carrots, sweet peppers, blueberries and pomegranate. Jellybean is picky and I'm still trying to get him to eat veggies. So far he likes red sweet peppers, blueberries and pomegranate. They all love Maya Mash and their Sweet Potato Minis/ Chia Kale Crisps and their RPO/ Coconut Oil.

Comet, Mizzely and AKahle6868 like this.
  8. Comet

Comet Meeting neighbors

All sound like awesome diets! I love how many dedicated bird owners there are here. The Hagen mix for my breeding pair includes Tropican egg granules, while the Living World mix has regular Tropican granules.
    I've gotten some great new treat ideas, too, thank you guys! Hopefully my birds will go for them haha

9. Lady Jane

Lady Jane Joyriding the Neighborhood Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran I Can't Stop Posting!

Dianne

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)