• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Crystal [lots of pics]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eden Marel

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Erica
This thread is dedicated to my beloved baby Crystal. She is a 13 year old Siberian Husky I adopted. Her main meal consists of 2 handfuls of boiled or baked meat and/or organs (usually chicken, turkey, beef, or lamb). She also gets Wellness Super5Mix Lamb, Barley, and Salmon Meal mixed with a grain-free kibble (currently changed from Evo due to the P&G acquisition to Orijen Regional Red). She is on Century 21st Glucosamine and Chondrotin liquid joint supplement and 2000mg of Salmon and Fish oil and yearly Heartgard+. She is very picky eater and when we first adopted her she would not eat until we gave her real meat thus is why she gets meat, cuz that is what she will eat readily. She sometimes eat dog kibble if she is hungry enough, but sometimes she won't which results he vomiting yellow bile.

She get really excited to go on trail walks and dog park, she loves to swim but hates baths. She is only interested in "playing" with intact male dogs. She is a hunter and goes after small creatures, especially sick ones. She got attacked by a cat and is kinda scared of them now.

She can be very stubborn, if she does not want to go somewhere she will plant her feet and not move. I had to buy her a no-slip collar because she is very good at slipping the collar and running away. The first time I didn't have one she slipped out and jumped into the river and my mom didn't want me to go after her and just let her die. No way!!! So I tried to fish her out and she went under the bridge so I went there and got ready to grab her when she come out the other side, well I suck so bad she floated away and I fell in the river. While I regained my balance, Crystal somehow got back on the land and I ran towards her and she ran away. But good thing she stopped by a tree that my sister was near and my sister caught her. It was a very scary first experience, but I'm glad she was safe and sound. So I bought her the martingale so this would not happen again hopefully. She hates fireworks, fire crackers, thunder, loud noises.

Crystal with my sister!

CRYSTAL (#951)
Adopted May 24, 2008 from the Longmont Humane Society

When I met Crystal, she was not the kind of shelter dog that I was used to being around. As a volunteer at the Longmont Humane Society I was exposed to many dogs, but most that I’ve handle were extremely hyper and so very happy to see you or trying to escape. They would bombard you with slobbery kisses and attempt to knock you over as if they wanted to give you a hug and say “adopt me NOW or else!"

I don’t exactly remember when, but it early May when I met the love of my dreams. As I entered the adoption floor and headed towards the rack of leashes. I looked at the white board of dogs that needed a walk and picked a dog named ‘Crystal’. I noted the number of the kennel she was supposed to be in and grabbed a leash. When I was in front of the door to her kennel, I was expecting a mad happy dog that was going to try to knock you over and escape. Not this dog. She was listless, her head droopy, not a single sparkle of happiness in her crystal blue eyes. She just sat there in her corner not even looking up to give you a greeting.

What was wrong with this poor baby? I thought. Her food bowl was left untouched, the staff had even watered it to make it soft and tasty for her to eat. I left her viewing room and grabbed some treats and returned offering them to Crystal. At first she did not take them, but she hesitantly ate a milk bone and a chicken drumstick shaped biscuit. I proceeded to leash her up and take her outside. She walked nicely until we got outside. I walked her around and then she started acting up, she would not go back. When I wanted to bring her back inside she planted her cute little paws into the ground and I was so scared she’d slip her collar I just went with her. After a little while I managed to get her back inside. I spent some time with her before I left to walk other dogs. Two hours passed and my shift was done, so I went back and visited her again for a little while before I left the facility. Though the walk was a little rough, I fell in love with the most depressed animal I’ve ever seen in my entire volunteer career.

My dad had been thinking about adopting a dog to see if the family could handle having a dog around since he was planning to get a guide dog. Though he wanted a lab, I mentioned Crystal. He said we might adopt her after I graduate. I panicked a little; I thought my love would be adopted to someone else by then. It would be a good thing, but I really wanted her for myself! I’ve always wanted a dog, and I’ve always wanted to adopt one, but never have I felt such a strong desire for one particular dog. There was just something about Crystal that stole my heart. Was it the pity I felt for her? Was there something in common we had that made us go together? What was it, I just don't know.

The next week on my shift I immediately checked for Crystal. She was there! I excitedly signed in and sped walk to the adoption floor, grabbed a leash and entered her kennel. I petted her and scratched her for a short time and then she scooted away from me, sighing she laid down in the opposite corner. My heart sunk like an anchor to the bottom of the ocean.

Will she not open her heart to me? I thought. A little sad, I leashed her up, but went to an outdoor run instead of walking her. She walked around freely for a while and did her ‘job’, and then I proceed to walk her a little. But she did not want to walk, she headed straight back to the door that lead back inside the building. And so I let her back in and she led me straight to her kennel.

One day at school during lunch, I mentioned to my group of buddies that I had met a dog that I really liked. Then one of my friends had mentioned their brother's dog was at the humane society, so I inquired about it more. She said it was a husky. And I mentioned I had fallen in love with a husky named Crystal. And then she said that was her brother's dog! Wow, what are the chances? So we talked about her more and more. Then she told me about how her brother's girlfriend told him to get rid of Crystal because supposedly the girlfriends wolf-hybrid doesn't get along with Crystal. But Crystal had saved the wolf-hybrid (who had accidentally strangled itself with its tie-out) by getting help.

The day of my high school graduation was nearing, so I bought Crystal up again in a conversation with my parents. Next week when I volunteer they would visit, and so the next week came and my mom, dad, and sister came to visit with Crystal. We placed a hold on her and would take her home after my high school graduation ceremony was over.

On May 24, 2008 I attended my high school graduation, but I could not think clearly because I was social phobic and I couldn't get Crystal out of my mind. When the ceremony was over, I wanted to go immediately to the humane society, but my parents wanted me to change clothes and eat lunch first. So I did that as quick as possible and we went to the humane society. My parents kept saying, "last chance you can back down still." NO WAY jose! We went to the front desk and proceeded to adopt Crystal, the lady explained that Crystal may need prescriptions and other medical needs and I could already feel the hesitance emitting from my parents' bodies. Again they said, "last chance you can back down." NO NO NO!! My heart was set in stone, surely there was a way to work things out!

The first thing we did was take her to Paws and Claws Pet Grooming, so I could give her good bath. She did not really enjoy it, and I could tell. I felt a little uncomfortable bathing her, but we needed to make her clean as a whistle. The next day we went to Petsmart Banfield Hospital for a free physical exam and to get her rabies and distemper done.

To be continued one day.....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Pics oldest to newest order.

MollyMouse

Biking along the boulevard
Look at those baby blue eyes.:heart: What a darling dog. Looking forward to hearing more of the story.

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
OMGoodness, Crystal needed you so badly! I can see her sadness in the oldest picture. What a difference in her now. She sounds like a very special little girl. Thanks for sharing her story with us.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
What a great story! She is lovely.:heart:

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
She's beautiful and through you, she now has a sparkle in her eyes once again. :heart::heart:

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
she is absolutely stunning and bless your heart for showing her love....:hug8:

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
such a beautiful story - you can see the change in her eyes in the progression of pics

you are her Earth Angel :heart:

:hug8:

marian

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
What a great story I love the pic of her in the laundry basket....I look forward to hearing more about her.:heart:

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
Wow she definitely looks so much happier now :) Thanks for sharing your story.

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
What a wonderful tribute to your special girl! Crystal is beautiful, and those eyes! Wow! I love how she sleeps in the cloths basket. She sounds like a very endearing friend!

birdlover82

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
What a great story. She is a beautiful dog. Love how you can see her eyes change through the pictures. They show her happiness in the 3rd from the bottom picture.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
She is very pretty! You have some cute pictures of her!

Matt

Eden Marel

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Erica
Thanks she is my bestest friend and my cute wittle beloved fur baby. Ohhh I just wanna go glomp her right now.

ferdinand

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
chul
Love the vid! Hanging out in the bath tub...looks like she was saying I'm ready for belly scratches!

Mystics Mom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tanya
more more i want to here more...:hug8:

Status
Not open for further replies.