• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Crying baby Alexandrine

Trigger

Moving in
First, thank you for adding me (1st post)! I’m hand feeding a ~6 week old Alexandrine. I’ve fed babies for years, but got this as a personal pet about 3 weeks ago. It’s not my first bird, but it is the first time I’ve raised a baby from birth as my own. Naturally he cries for food, and I’m familiar with the sound, but I’ve inadvertently created a situation where if I’m anywhere in sight he cries incessantly; let me add (because I know someone will ask), he’s been to the vet, he’s in excellent health, I’m a very experienced feeder, it’s not due to lack of food or comfort, it’s typical imprinting. Trigger (that’s his name) has imprinted on me as Mom and I can’t spend any quality time with him because all he wants to do is eat my fingers and cry! When he’s in a room alone, he’s quite content, but the sound of my voice will ‘trigger’ long spurts of crying. Any suggestions on how I might spend time with him, outside of feeding, that will allow us to bond? Or do I simply wait out the baby stage and build from there? I feel like a momma with a colicky baby :)

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Bump.

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
This is going to sound really silly, but I'm curious if it would help. Could you dress (wear a hat, put your hair up) and act very different when you feed him? When you speak to him, use a heavy accent, choose a "persona" or "role" to play when you feed. Do that for a long time till he gets used to that, and when it's play time, you get to be yourself.

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
Parrots do not do "typical imprinting" like geese, ducks and chickens. However, a baby is a baby and your infant is asking for constant one on one attention like he would get from his parents in the nest. In the wild, a chick is never left alone at such a young age; there is always a parent close by guarding it if not sitting right beside or on top of it. In my opinion, you are dealing with the needs of a typical infant. Since I have never raised a chick from this age, I am at a loss to tell you what to do except give the poor bird the attention he wants and wait out the constant needy stage.

Oh... Welcome to the forum and I wish I had some help for you. He is doing what babies do.

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
Then, perhaps having a stuffed animal would help? He could cozy up to it.