• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Crying baby Alexandrine

singermanlynne

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lynne Singerman
I have had an Alexandrine in the past and loved her. My previous Alex was 6 months old when I got her and she had no baby behaviors. I wanted another and I recently was able to get a 14 week old male. He had been eating on his own for 3 weeks when the breeder let me get hiim. He has gained weight everyday and is now at ( when I got him the breeder said he was 185g and that was 10 days ago ) 205g…but he cries whenever he sees me and bobs his head. It feels like he is begging for food but when I am out of sight he stops and eats and his weight goes up each day. What is going on? Is this just a young bird who needs some time to realize he is eating on his own or what?? He is trimmed but can fly a little and will fly to me if I am close to him. He goes to other people when I introduce him but flies back to me as soon as he feels it is polite to do so ( 10 seconds ).

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
He could still associate humans mean baby formula! As long as he's eating and holding weight, then, no worries. Now is the time to introduce good fruits and veggies! Would love to see a pic of the darling!

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I say offer him food, whether formula or "grown up" stuff. He can always decline it. He needs to know that you will meet his needs for his security, IMO.

Rolanda

Rollerblading along the road
He could just want the comfort. Try some of his pellets soaked and mashed. He may only do it for a little while but it wont hurt you or him to feed him a little for comfort. My Mustache did the same and it only lasted a little while. I think he felt more secure. Moving from the only mom you ever knew to a new home and person who will care for you is a big deal for a baby.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Sounds like he's requesting comfort feedings. Very common in the wild as well as for baby birds in captivity especially after going to a new home

singermanlynne

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lynne Singerman
Comments - I am trying to add a video of my baby and I hope I did. Click on comments and let me know if that worked please. Would a comfort feeding be putting warm soaked pellets ( I mixed into the warm pellets chopped fine vegtables and fruit ) in a dish for him or feeding the warm soaked pellets with my fingers? Today I gave it to him in a dish and he did seem to like it but he still cried.

Shinobi

Jogging around the block
Alexandrines are an awesome bird.

Rolanda

Rollerblading along the road
Your Video didn't come through.
I just gave my baby the mashed pellets on a spoon... eventually he ate from the spoon on his own. then he didn't want to eat it anymore. But he still liked the little bit of extra one on one time with just he and I in the morning. You could just give it to him in a bowl, but I'd bet he'd like you to feed him better. As you said He's gaining weight and eating fine on his own, it's not so much about sustenance, really. It is comforting to him... He's a baby, and you are his new Mom.

Tracy Cesare

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Tracy Cesare
My ringneck Stella did the same thing I gave in and hand fed her for 3 more weeks no more crying

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
Just offer him some food. I does not have to be handfeeding formula. Sometimes they are persistent and can get a little frustrated when you don't offer them anything when they beg. You will both feel better.

singermanlynne

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lynne Singerman
Thank you for all your suggestions and support! I need it because all my education in birds said, " do not baby a weaned baby - you will just keep him a baby " but all my instincts said, " Feed a crying baby ". So with your support I did. He loved it (organic fruits and veggies baby food with soaked pellets) and would eat it off the spoon like a baby bird and that just lick it off. I did this everyday for about 2 weeks and now he is totally eating on his own. He like mushy things best.