1. Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  2. This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Crusty eye on cockatiel

Discussion in 'Bird Emergency Highway 911' started by Chipper88, 12/4/17.

1. Chipper88

Chipper88 Moving in

Sarah
    I have a 2 year old cockatiel named Chip who has one eye that looks slightly larger but this may be due to slight feather loss around edge of eye. The eye its self looks a bit crusty like husks of fluff from grooming sitting on edges but not going away unless wiped. Otherwise happy eatting and drinking well, looking good not fluffed up. Sleeping in normal places, grooming and still loves getting attention. Any advice? Pictures attached are of eye with issue (one where you can see the grey spot in the picture) and the other is of the normal eye

Attached Files:

2. webchirp

webchirp Cruising the avenue Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran Rescue Representative Vendor I'm a SECRET SANTA - Are you?

Chandra
    Looks like it might be an eye infection. Ointment from the vet is likely what you need.

Sarahmoluccan and Chipper88 like this.
  3. Birdbabe

Birdbabe Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

Kind of looks like seed hulls or millet got on his eye? Can you blow it off or rinse with saline? See if that helps.

4. Chipper88

Chipper88 Moving in

Sarah
    That's what i thought at first too but i notices this sunday night and lightly washed off. Its back monday morning and evening when i got home and this morning. The whites are tinged pink and front of eye is slightly swollen although that does look better today. I work at a vet on saturday but birds isnt their specialty so im sure if that will help or be too far away

5. Jas

Jas Walking the driveway

Jasmine
    My vets doesn't have an avian vet but they do have vets that are experienced in bird care, very knowledgeable and competent around the as well.

Sarahmoluccan likes this.
  6. Chipper88

Chipper88 Moving in

Sarah
    Where are they based or do you know of any in Adelaide? Preferably north

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)