• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cross breeding Pionus?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Yes they can produce offspring

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
All Pionus can cross breed.
And yes accidents can happen, but it will never do that in the wild so that's why I find it wrong.

VictoryCC124

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Shanna
I have no desire to breed my birds, but I have a seriously hormone-consumed female BH and a young male WC and I just wondered if it was possible. They're cage neighbors, but not close enough to hop back and forth.

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
I have no desire to breed my birds, but I have a seriously hormone-consumed female BH and a young male WC
I think sooner or later they will have some fun together if they are allowed to interact with each other, and their is nothing wrong with that.
If we allowed them to be as normal as possible they also will be easier to handle. :)

javi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
JAVI
They will cross breed. One of the reasons it is not done with pionus and most other birds is because the hybrids are not as desirable as the macaws. When you breed the macaws together you get some funky colors and with the pionus they are considered "plain". Even most cockatoo and conure hybrids are considered blah. Although there is someone in my area that breeds galahs to corellas and they are gorgeous. Again everyone would prefer a high yellow Camelot macaw or a catalina or miligold, because they are stunning.

cetan

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
We all know that Maxis and Coral Bills can also cross breed - Maxsmom's Charlie :sunflower: