• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Crops not draining!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
I think the little guy is going to make it. This morning it's crop fully drained and it is pooping normal poop, no more hard seeds.

It's holding it's head up and overall improvement. Discoloration has improved but not all the way.

I could not find Papyra extract or puree at the grocery store I went to. I really wasn't sure where to look. I looked near all the other extracts and canned fruit/veggies but no go.

I'm feeding it 1/2 cc of formula mixed with 1/2 cc of heated pedialyte. I plan to change the ratio to about 1cc / 1/4 cc when he gains a little weight. It seems very receptive to feeding this morning. Thanks to everyone for all the advice and help. I will let you know how it turns out.

Im sorry if this has been said. But whenever I had chicks with sour crop (wild birds I had found, never had a cockatiel or any of the companion parrots I raised get sour crop) I would give it UNSWEETENED apple sauce mixed 50/50 with canned unsweetened PINEAPPLE juice. Feed it for the whole day until the crop has clear up. The citrus in the pineapple juice will break down and kill bacteria and fungal issues. I learned this while volunteering at sarvey wildlife center.

Reftect

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Katie
I also have another quick question that just came up. I was looking at the youngest and i think he may have splayed legs. I'm posting a picture of him when he's just sitting there.

Attachments

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
:omg:I have no idea buty he is A CUTIE PIE...

Reftect

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Katie
Thank you. Hopefully he will start getting bigger soon!

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
If your suspecting splayleg, get him into a small basket or a bowl type thing now with a soft bottom to keep those legs under him, and keep him him there till someone with more experience comes along. Im glad his crop is working again, keep us updated, he is a cutie.

Myztik

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Nel
I have no advice but am glad to hear he is doing better and look forward to updates as he grows.

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Hope things start to look up for the little one.:hug8:

birdbrain

Moving in
I have a stunted baby cockatiel who is 10 days old and looks like hes 3, His crop will not drain. I've tried baking soda, and apple cider and it just wont seem to drain. I really don't want to lose him through out the night. He probably needs his crop drained and i've been looking at Sour and Slow Crop Remedies - Just Cockatiels! and i don't have a catheter on hand, and i don't know about turning him upside down and draining it. Is there anything else i can do to help him?
Lemon yogurt and not low-fat just regular lemon yogurt

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
I just got back home, and I will post several illustrations that have some info. In regards to splayed leg it can occur from several sources, such as a nutrient defeciency, improper bedding or a surface under the baby or from a heating pad.

---------------------

yvette

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Yvette
When I handfeed I use dry deck which is a rubber type flooring I put in the brooder. The babies wont slip, its easy to dissinfect and you wont get splayed legs.
I add a tiny bit of apple cider vinegar to my handfeeding formula. Its great for bacteria etc. I have never had an issue, in 10 years of handfeeding.
How is the baby doing??

Reftect

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Katie
Just wanted to let everyone know that the babies are doing great! And they are getting so big!

Attachments

CeciliaZ

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Cecilia
Good to hear this update - such adorable babies! :heart:

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
awwwwwwwwww that is wonderful news..they are adorable little baby dinos.

Status
Not open for further replies.