• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Crop problems?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mythreeiggys

Hit the Road
Real Name
Danielle
I had to take Bailey (TAG) to the vet today. He wasn't looking well at all. The doctor said his crop is not emptying and he is dehydrated. He's on medicine and we are waiting for his bloodwork and fecal to come back. The doctor did not do a swab of his throat. Has anyone else ever had this problem? Is there something I can give him that will help? Ellen recommended avian enzymes and I've ordered that but I was thinking maybe there is something that I may have here that can help?

lzver

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Laura
I don't have any advice Danielle, but I hope its nothing serious and Bailey makes a full and quick recovery :hug8:

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
If you have papaya it has digestive enzymes and is very good for them. I have seen frozen papaya in the store and it will work fine if no fresh is

Mythreeiggys

Hit the Road
Real Name
Danielle
Thank you! Lindsay just recommended papaya also so I'm off to try and find some.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Pinapple juice and apple sauce. Heated. Non sugar.

But a throat swab is important. :)

Jazzysmama

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
I hope your fid gets well quick. I've learned with breeze to ask for a crop wash and test it when I'm suspicious of something going on in the crop. But the vet says the crop has to be empty to do it. When she had pseudo in her crop, all of her other tests looked okay, it took the crop wash to find out she was sick. Personally, I think the antibiotic you were given is a good one.

:hug8::hug8::hug8:

Daisy's Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tiffany
I have no advice for you but I hope your baby feels better.. :hug8: :hug8: :hug8:

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Sending healing energy to Bailey:hug8:

LovieLuvr

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Christina
I'm sorry I do not have any advice for you, but I'm sending healing energy your way. Stitch had to have a crop wash when I noticed he wasn't doing too well (over 1 year ago)...it was a scary experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WingedVictory

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Gary
Hope your bird returns to normal soon! Both unsweetened applesauce and papaya will help with a slow crop. Like Mary mentioned frozen papaya will work just as well.

Mythreeiggys

Hit the Road
Real Name
Danielle
Thanks everyone! I haven't been able to find Papaya yet. I plan on going to the health food store and also our local farmers market today. I spoke with the doctor this morning and Baileys fecal is back. He said there is significant amounts of bacteria in his poop. He is waiting for his blood work to come back which he is hoping will be today. I asked if doing and x-ray would tell us why his crop isn't emptying and he said possibly but lets wait until the bloodwork comes back. I am hoping to hear from him today so we can get this resolved. He is still dehydrated but is eating and taking water/juice from a syringe. The Dr also said to start hand feeding him formula instead of his regular food so he can get the extra nutrients and liquid. Ugh, I can't wait until this is all over and my baby is better!

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
Organic unsweetened applesauce. This is what my vet recommended for Squeeky when he got sick as a baby.

Status
Not open for further replies.