• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cricket the Quaker

QuirkyQuaker96

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Heather
Hi guys! So I'm new to this site and I thought I'd introduce myself and my wonderful cricket Around January 8th I purchased a rescue Quaker. Now I say rescue because he and his friends (a red and blue Macaw, a cockatoo, and an African gray) were all in tiny cages in a wire cage outside.

The only protection they had from the elements were blue tarps secured with zip ties. Now I had to pay for him, but it was so worth it because now he has a forever home. When I first saw him my heart broke. He was in a tiny tiny cage. Now I'm not an avian expert by any means, but I knew this cage was too tiny for him. No bigger than 11 inches tall and 14 wide. I felt so bad for him so I asked his price and I took him home that day.

He was angry. So angry. He head butted his cage, screamed at me, and he hated hands. There's no doubt in my mind that he was abused and mistreated. It's been a long and stressful road already and I know I've got more work to do. In only a month I'm able to have him "step up" onto my bare fingers. He's learned an amazing amount of new words and sounds, he loves to sit on my shoulder and clean (preen?) my ears neck and hair. He even allows me to pet him and give him scratches while he's on his cage. He's become such a great pet and I'm excited to enjoy this journey with him.

So, I would like to know if you guys have any advice on quakers. Bathing, general care, toy ideas even though my cricket doesn't really play with his toys I still offer them. Any advice helps

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome to the forum! Thank you for giving Cricket a good home. Sometimes birds don't know how to play with toys if they never had them before. Letting him watch you play with the toys may get him interested. Also, you can try foraging toys with treats hidden in them to get his interest.

QuirkyQuaker96

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Heather
Great idea! I have one foraging toy in a small bowl for him to play with. He does have one toy that came with him, I'll post a picture of it later, that he absolutely adores. I call it his "baby" because it reminds me of a dog with a stuffed toy. He loves it. And I'm very glad that I was able to save him.

fidsmom

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
Congrats on your addition. Quakers are delightful birds, I am a Quaker lover, I have 7. All of mine are choosey on their toys, Some of them like sisal rope toys, fleece toys, cotton rope toys, Shredding toys, toys that make noises .There is so many types of toys out there, Does Cricket like taking baths ? look forward to hearing/seeing more of Cricket:)

QuirkyQuaker96

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Heather
He does like baths and every time he's on my shoulder and I turn the sink on he says, what I assume to be "water" but sounds like "woo-ha!!" Lol. And so far I've got his "baby", a foraging toy in a bowl with small pieces of card board, shredded playing cards, bigger pieces from cut popsicle sticks and some other things with his favorite treat sunflower seeds. A skewered toy with a bell, a piece of rope, and some wooden blocks. A shredder toy with cardboard and playing cards on a small twine thread. And a bigger version of his "baby" which is a ball with a bell inside. He doesn't really like any of them he seems to prefer human interaction over his toys.

QuirkyQuaker96

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Heather
He would rather do this lol. He also likes to clean my lips and teeth is that safe for him?

Attachments

fidsmom

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
No I wouldn't let him do that. There is bacteria in our mouths.

QuirkyQuaker96

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Heather
That's what I was thinking. Okay I won't let him do that!