• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Video Crazy Head Bobber and Nip, Nip, Nip

Skippy

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jane
Just got my baby GCC a little over a week ago. He is unbelievably playful and was very well socialized by the breeder. He is definitely what you would call a Velcro bird. He is sweet but is constantly picking at my skin and clothes. I understand this is typical of the breed, but my question is ‘how long will it last?’ Secondly, when he first sees me, he has this crazy head bobbing going on. I assume this just means he is excited and wants some attention. Is this typical with GCCs? Is it just a baby thing or does it continue? We even changed his name from Scooter to Bobby because of this behavior. Thanks all for your comments!

Skippy

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jane
Tried to attach it. It seemed to work, but didn’t come in. I will try again here. Still didn’t come in. I did the Upload a File and choose my video from my iPad library. It says compressing video. I then choose close and nothing further happens. It is only about 30 sec. long. Oh well!

CrazyBirdChick

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
Tried to attach it. It seemed to work, but didn’t come in. I will try again here. Still didn’t come in. I did the Upload a File and choose my video from my iPad library. It says compressing video. I then choose close and nothing further happens. It is only about 30 sec. long. Oh well!
I believe the only way to add a video here is through YouTube or Facebook

Kodigirl210

Rollerblading along the road
If Bobby is just rapidly moving his head up and down - yes it just denotes excitement. The only time it would be a concern is his tail going as well but on the alternate beat and it would probably be a little slower. That usually denotes an issue or illness.

As for picking, it depends. Do mean picking as in biting or scraping his beak along in rhythmic strokes or as in cleaning? A lot of GCC’s will preen their owner’s hair, mouth, teeth and sometimes facial hair. It’s an inclusive gesture. If he’s scraping his beak in measured strokes-I haven’t exactly figured what it means but it doesn’t appear to be negative, more like a food searching thing. Or are we talking test biting? Where Bobby seems to bite everything with his beak to test it?

If you could provide a little description it would be helpful.

Best wishes :)

Skippy

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jane
If Bobby is just rapidly moving his head up and down - yes it just denotes excitement. The only time it would be a concern is his tail going as well but on the alternate beat and it would probably be a little slower. That usually denotes an issue or illness.

As for picking, it depends. Do mean picking as in biting or scraping his beak along in rhythmic strokes or as in cleaning? A lot of GCC’s will preen their owner’s hair, mouth, teeth and sometimes facial hair. It’s an inclusive gesture. If he’s scraping his beak in measured strokes-I haven’t exactly figured what it means but it doesn’t appear to be negative, more like a food searching thing. Or are we talking test biting? Where Bobby seems to bite everything with his beak to test it?

If you could provide a little description it would be helpful.

Best wishes :)
thanks for the reply. Overall, it is definitely a preening, exploring type of behavior. He gets so into it that he doesn’t want to stop. Then I will want him to step up, and he doesn’t want to. At that point, he will sometimes actually bite. When he does , I put him back in the cage or on his play area. He is only 4 months old, so I realize he is very young and just like a small child, he needs to learn how to behave! Oh, and he loves to chew on my clothes!

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
thanks for the reply. Overall, it is definitely a preening, exploring type of behavior. He gets so into it that he doesn’t want to stop. Then I will want him to step up, and he doesn’t want to. At that point, he will sometimes actually bite. When he does , I put him back in the cage or on his play area. He is only 4 months old, so I realize he is very young and just like a small child, he needs to learn how to behave! Oh, and he loves to chew on my clothes!
It seems kind of silly but when one pinches me to hard, I make a peep whistle really loud. They've caught on fairly quickly unless it's a bite that they mean to hurt. Sometimes Amada gets a little rough. I don't recommend placing back in the cage since that should be their safe/fun place. You could set him away from you or do something else that shows you are turning your attention away.

Congrats on your baby...:heart:

Kodigirl210

Rollerblading along the road
If Bobby is really into preening - you have to break their concentration. I know sometimes it isn’t easy because they are almost like they are on a life or death mission.

Usually I try to divert by waving a treat, gently touching the head or neck or worst case scenario I will tap lightly on their upper shoulder. This usually causes a wing shrug reaction and if I get them to shrug a couple times they will usually actually look at me to see what’s what.

If you can figure out what works at breaking their concentration and make sure Bobby is actually focused on you, you will avoid the biting that normally happens.

GCCs are also Drama Kings & Queens. So they understand grandiose gestures. Unlike most other bird species where they say to ignore the actual bite, I agree with @webchirp - making a dramatic reactive noise & gesture will give a GCC way more pause then putting them in their cage. I usually for with a loud sharp Ow! Or if I sense the bites are getting progressively sharper - I will tell them “Gentle, Gentle,” and give them a little shake at the same time to loosen the grip.

If there’s absolutely no reasoning with Bobby, don’t put him in his cage (leave cage open tho so he can go in and sulk if he wants) but maybe on top of and leave him to his own devices for 10 or so minutes.

Sounds like you have a happy boy. Don’t forget to put his pick in the roll call :)

Skippy

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jane
Great advice about not putting him in the cage. Have never has a Conure before and am amazed at the playfulness and boy does he get around his cage quickly. I should rename him Tarzan! I have previously had lovebirds, cockatiels, quakers, and parakeets. I really enjoyed the quakers and all their talking and singing. One of my quakers could sing You Are My Sunshine all the way thru. My little Bobby is already starting to say a few words. He is a fun little friend for sure!

Skippy

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jane
If Bobby is really into preening - you have to break their concentration. I know sometimes it isn’t easy because they are almost like they are on a life or death mission.

Usually I try to divert by waving a treat, gently touching the head or neck or worst case scenario I will tap lightly on their upper shoulder. This usually causes a wing shrug reaction and if I get them to shrug a couple times they will usually actually look at me to see what’s what.

If you can figure out what works at breaking their concentration and make sure Bobby is actually focused on you, you will avoid the biting that normally happens.

GCCs are also Drama Kings & Queens. So they understand grandiose gestures. Unlike most other bird species where they say to ignore the actual bite, I agree with @webchirp - making a dramatic reactive noise & gesture will give a GCC way more pause then putting them in their cage. I usually for with a loud sharp Ow! Or if I sense the bites are getting progressively sharper - I will tell them “Gentle, Gentle,” and give them a little shake at the same time to loosen the grip.

If there’s absolutely no reasoning with Bobby, don’t put him in his cage (leave cage open tho so he can go in and sulk if he wants) but maybe on top of and leave him to his own devices for 10 or so minutes.

Sounds like you have a happy boy. Don’t forget to put his pick in the roll call :)
Where do I find the Roll Call that you mention? I am still finding my way around the site. Thanks!