• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Crazy for Cockatiels

Birdie76

Walking the driveway
Hello, just joined. I have a 6 week old cockatiel. Not sure about a name yet so far just been calling in pretty baby. He is quite the handful similar to a little toddler keeps me pretty busy. He's already pretty attached to Mama after only a week. Little guy can't let me out of his site. Choose on every piece of paper he can find. These little guys have got to be the best therapy. Hope you're all having a wonderful day.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome to the forum! 6 weeks is pretty young. Is he weaned? And tiels are wonderful little birds.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Welcome, and enjoy the site!

Birdie76

Walking the driveway
He's weaned eats mostly millet, quinoa and some chopped up stuff they gave me for him. I offer an assortment so he can try the other stuff will be offering veggies as well.

He is a dear we are near inseparable. I am planning on getting him an aviator harness so we can go outside, he's already doing some flying short distance.

Anyone here do any training of tiels?

Garet

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Garet
They are really great therapy animals! I have my girl harness trained to come out and about with me. I hope you're prepared for everyone running up to you and asking to hold him and take pictures with him. :p

Also, here's a protip; be careful when you're pulling off the harness. My girl really doesn't like taking it off because it messes up her crest. She always squirms and makes a fuss when it's time to take that off, so I just set her down and let her wiggle out of it mostly on her own, so I don't accidentally hurt her.

Got any pictures of your guy?

Birdie76

Walking the driveway
Not sure how to post a pic...my avatar is of my baby. I' already trying to get him used to me touching him all over, wings, over head, etc he likes contact so far doesn't mind all over his head neck chin, coming along nicely with wing up.

Was hoping to train as a therapy bird I know he helps me immensely.

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Welcome!! Tiels are great birds. I had one a while back, sadly he's past on now. @Garet it's so true about taking the harness off. Echo my Umbrella cockatoo has the same problem. He is slowing getting better with it thou :)

@Birdie76 I hope you enjoy your time here:)

Birdie76

Walking the driveway
I love birds! I haven't had a cockatiel since 1998 took the loss hard. Rest in peace Noah. He was a good bird. Bonding just as closey with this pretty baby. Anxious to get harness its springtime and so lovely outside now I' sure he'd love to dig around in the grass and practice flying too.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
:hello:
:welave:
Tiels are such wonderful little birds! I’m so sorry about your sweet Noah. I can’t wait to learn all about your baby!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Welcome to AA & congrats on getting your 'tiel.

Smbrds

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Shawn
Welcome to you and your little guy. Tiels are wonderful birds and the best therapy. I have one and is my BFF.

Birdie76

Walking the driveway
They are really great therapy animals! I have my girl harness trained to come out and about with me. I hope you're prepared for everyone running up to you and asking to hold him and take pictures with him. :p

Also, here's a protip; be careful when you're pulling off the harness. My girl really doesn't like taking it off because it messes up her crest. She always squirms and makes a fuss when it's time to take that off, so I just set her down and let her wiggle out of it mostly on her own, so I don't accidentally hurt her.

Got any pictures of your guy?
In Baby cockatiel I posted a few pics

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
welcome