• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

cracking the cockatoo translation matrix

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
Oh sorry it was in the one on the bed I heard “vegetable”. :)
I did hear “don’t worry” in the first one here.

HolliDaze

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Machelle
YouTube
This is totally a thing I need

Nancy B

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
I wonder if that is what they most often say first because we usually say those things to them first. Most of what I say to Freddy is your a good boy, a pretty bird, a good bird, and I love you. I would say those are the phrases he hears most often. The other day I was doing laundry and he called for me every time I left the room. I started saying where's Freddy? I was hoping he would come find me. My Rascal lovebird used to do that. Freddy's calling turned to screeching lol. I am hoping in time he will come find me and I will say there's Freddy bird! My goal is to get him to come with me wherever I am in the house. Of course I haven't figured out how I will get anything done lol.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
I wonder if that is what they most often say first because we usually say those things to them first.
I agree. Milton has learned countless words that way. If I show him an object, I like to identify it, so he can make the connection between the object and its name...

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
The parrot wizard recently posted a video saying that a bird's hearing is actually not that great because their ears are muffled by feathers. I'm not sure how true that is but I thought it was interesting.

Well the wizard is wrong. A parrots hearing is just as good yours and mine. It’s also highly directional like ours but they tune it to a whole new level.

The reason the noise doesn’t hurt their ears is because genetics made sure that doesn’t happen. If you could hurt your own hearing by screaming as loud as you can, everyone in the world would be deaf.

The reason they muffle the English language is because they don’t have lips and teeth to properly form the words. The fact that some parrots can talk so well is just amazing.

Nancy B

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
Well the wizard is wrong. A parrots hearing is just as good yours and mine. It’s also highly directional like ours but they tune it to a whole new level.

The reason the noise doesn’t hurt their ears is because genetics made sure that doesn’t happen. If you could hurt your own hearing by screaming as loud as you can, everyone in the world would be deaf.

The reason they muffle the English language is because they don’t have lips and teeth to properly form the words. The fact that some parrots can talk so well is just amazing.
I would expect a birds hearing to be better than ours. Why would they have amazing eyesight and bad hearing lol.

Nancy B

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
I thought I heard definitely I a pretty pretty bird, don't worry, I looking for it. He's so cute, I love to hear them try to talk.