• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cracked Beak

NormaJ

Moving in
Real Name
Norma
Peanut is one and a half yrs old and seems to be healthy in all other ways. But tonight I noticed that his upper beak is cracked all the way across as if he is going to lose the whole lower portion of it. Has anyone heard anything like this before or know what could be causing it? He is still eating pellets and cracking seeds and all his other stuff just the same as before so it doesn't seem to be bothering him, but it looks pretty bad to me. I would appreciate any ideas. Thanks!

firdy num num

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Eden
Hi and welcome to the Avenue, make sure you watch on Peanut and make sure that he doesn't bite onto anything too solid and big. I suggest you take Peanut to the vet. Can we have pictures please? If the crack looks big, make sure Peanut doesn't catch infections. Poor Peanut, I hope this helped. ;) Wait until the other members come in.

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
I also suggest you take Peanut to an avian vet...better safe than sorry

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Are you sure we are talking about a crack or could it be the line where the old growth is flaking off of the newer underlying beak?

Can you show us a pic?

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
I am wondering the same thing John mentioned. The natural beak peeling can look scary if we're not used to it. Pics would be very helpful. :)

NormaJ

Moving in
Real Name
Norma
Now that I am not in panic mode and look closer, it could very well be old growth breaking off getting ready for the new. I didn't know birds shed their old beaks ... how often do they do this? and should I do anything to help in the process, like remove very hard chew sticks? Thanks so much for all your help! I'm feeling much better. :)

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
You don't need to do anything except maybe give her "more" of those hard chew sticks. :)

The beak also grows in layers outward. These outer layers should normally be kept worn down as the bird rubs its beak on hard, abrasive materials. It is instinct to rub the beak on things in general, but it is learned from other flock members WHAT to rub it on to keep these layers worn. Many domestic parrots end up with these layers building up due to a lack of proper wear. They rub their beak on the perch or the food dish, their owner, etc., but sometimes the surfaces they rub on simply are not abrasive enough to wear the layers down. They tend to develop a “ledge” of outer layer that runs about 2/3 the way down from the cere to the tip. It represents a natural interface where the new lengthening growth seems to come from under these layers. A "polly perch", or similar perch made of an abrasive material like cement often provides a surface suitable for the bird to groom the beak on, but the placement of the perch is important. If you notice the bird rubbing on a certain perch after eating, for example, simply replace that perch with the cement one.

If this “ledge” develops, it can often be “picked” off with a fingernail, if the bird is willing to let you or if you can restrain its head. If it is very thick and is not worn down, it may begin to cause a deviation in the direction and curvature of the lengthening growth of the tip. If it does get thick, then a nail file, or a Dremel grinder may be used to smooth it down. If a Dremel or an electric rotary nail file is used, care must be taken not to keep the grindstone in one place too long, as this can heat up the beak too much and cause damage to the growth-producing layer beneath.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
A birds beak continually grows out, kind of like a human's fingernails or perhaps rabbits teeth (if you are familiar with how rodents teeth are continuously growing)

Birds grind their beaks and chew on things to help keep it in shape. A poor diet may potentially result in a beak that grows faster than the bird can keep up with, although this can also be due to injury and a lack of appropriate things to chew.

Although the beak does peal, as long as it's not excessive, doesn't cause any pain to the bird (i.e. trouble eating) or anything else, they should be fine.

NormaJ

Moving in
Real Name
Norma
Sorry I didn't get back to everyone sooner. When I realized Peanut was OK and his beak was just going thru a normal growth process I kind of spaced things out. Anyways I want to say thank you for all the interest and help you all showed. It was very reassuring. Thank you.

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Glad all is well! :)