• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cozzi is having a hard time breathing

cyoungva

Meeting neighbors
Update: My vet called again, and we had a very long discussion about Cozzi. I asked all sorts of questions. I asked again about all of his blood tests. She said Cozzi's white blood cell count came back normal, but that still did not rule out that he could have an infection. I asked about his heart in the xrays also, she said she wasn't able to clearly see it because it was fuzzy/hazed out., but there was "loss of normal silhouette of his heart" giving her indication that he has possible heart disease. She said she could prescribe the nebulizer but wouldn't recommend it until after we see how he is after the 3 week treatment of the Virconizole, because she would have to switch his meds again. She said if after 3 weeks there is no improvement, she would revisit him and suggest doing a trachea swab & culture to see if he tests positive for a fungal infection, and what type. I have Cozzi getting lots of rest, that is what he wants the most, besides wanting me to snuggle with him. I keep the room dim, and turn them up fully when it's time to eat. He is eating well still. I just ask for lots of prayers for my little Cozzi. (nickname Cozzi Bear). Thanks everyone for all of your support.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
You are doing a good job with him. It is not easy to take care of a sick bird. @Hankmacaw is AA's best medical advisor in my opinion. What I just did is called tagging a member so they will get an alert to this post. You type @ first then the name they go by. If you type the first 3 left letters of the name you should see a list of names and click on the one you want.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@iamwhoiam Hi. Cozzi had lots of rest today, and is still eating good. I'm sorry, I'm new here and don't know how to reply directly to an individual post like you did above. I need to learn!
You are doing fine with your posts and replies as well as everything you are doing for Cozzi.

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sarah
Cozzi is a cutie :) Poor baby!! I really feel for you both. I hope he feels better soon. It's so hard and frustrating when your baby is sick and you're doing all you can but it's still a waiting game to see if the meds work. I'm pulling for him!! Sweet boy :xflove::heart:

enigma731

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Has he had just a plain old anti inflammatory like Metacam? My old man tiel has sinus problems (so different from Cozzi's issues) and that really helps him when he's breathing hard.

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
Oh my gosh, Cozzi is such a little doll! I immediately wanted to give him CPR to remedy the breathing problems... of course I know that is silly, but that's just how I felt.
You are such a great 'parront' to Cozzi and your flock. I hope that V drug will knock this infection right out and Cozzi will be feeling better in no time. Hugs and prayers to all of you.

cyoungva

Meeting neighbors
@enigma731 yes!! He sure does have that anti-inflammatory medication. I completely forgot about putting that in my post. I do see a very slight difference in his breathing pattern after I give him it. Perhaps I should speak to the vet about keeping him on it on a continuous basis? B9076FF0-39AB-444C-ADD9-1FA6D160044B.jpeg

cyoungva

Meeting neighbors
He was originally on it in the very early beginning of his illness, (September 15) but the vet removed him from it after 4-5 days when she started the other meds. I gave him a dose 2 days ago and noticed a difference again, so I called the vet office yesterday about seeing if he can go back on it with the meds he is on, or if it’s too much to be on all 3. I think the vet has been trying to see what works best for him, and if he is on all 3 at once we won’t know which one he was benefiting from the best. She (vet) will be calling me again tomorrow. She must know my number by now!

Last edited:

Nikomania

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I'm just wondering why he'd wait 3 weeks to see how Cozzi does before swabbing. To me that's precious time lost in between treatments. The vet could have him swabbed and get definitive answers much sooner one way or the other.
Unfortunately no vet insurances will cover pre-existing conditions.

Glad that you're here and asking all the right questions for Cozzi. Praying that he turns the corner very soon.

enigma731

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Metacam is a very innocuous med, basically the bird equivalent of ibuprofen. So I would bet your vet says yes, but it's good that you're checking first.

cyoungva

Meeting neighbors
I speak to my vet Daily and I am doing everything possible and following all of her instructions. The good news is, Cozzi did a lot less sneezing last night… The first time I’ve seen him actually have a good nights sleep from not sneezing, but his breathing is still off. It is not as bad as in the video I just posted, but he does still breathe slightly with an open beat during the night. It makes me really sad to see his breeding increase when he tries to fly. I have checked into other veterinarians for a second opinion, but the closest avian vet besides the one he is seeing now, is three hours from me. I’m not sure if it would stress him out too much more or not, Im really afraid to try traveling.

Last edited:

enigma731

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I know he has some established stuff going on with his heart/lungs but has anyone looked at his sinuses? That really looks like the episodes my old man has.

soleaux

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nola
Cozzi is lucky to have such a caring and loving owner. Please stay strong! I am keeping you both in my thoughts. Less sneezing is definitely a good sign, I hope he improves on the medication.

It is a really hard call with traveling :( how does he usually act in the car? My conure Basil is sick and we haven’t seen much improvement, so we may need to get a CT scan but the closest one is 8 hours away, and it may be another dead end diagnosis. Like you, I am unsure if the stress outweighs the benefit. It’s so hard to say what would be the right decision in these scenarios. :(