• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cozzi is having a hard time breathing

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I'm terribly sorry - I'm so very sad for you.

Was it Cozzi that is being euthanized or the other bird that fell this morning.

Teckechick

Ask me for a photo of my bird, I have to post one!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Dawn
I am so sorry! :sadhug:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
So sorry for your loss of Baby Girl. You may want to consider a necropsy to find out what happened and especially because you have other birds.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Oh no! I'm so sorry.

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
:sorrow:

I'm so very very sorry. Wings up high, baby girl.

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
Oh my gosh, I am SO sad to read this! Hugs and prayers for you and the baby girl who had to be euthanized. I hope Cozzi will be better VERY SOON! :sorrow:

cyoungva

Meeting neighbors
This was baby girls x-ray today. The avian vet said that baby girl was very sick and was not going to make it through this. Her symptoms appeared suddenly, she fell to the bottom of the cage this morning and hurtled in a corner. Upon the veterinarian exam, the entire area around her vent area was swelled up bruised and bleeding. The vets suspected her liver or other organs protruding from swelling? The vet said with all of the cloudiness in the x-ray of whatever was happening to her, they could not give us a positive diagnosis. I was so devastated afterwords I never thought to ask about a autopsy to see what happened. It Has been such a hard, sad day for me. I held baby girl in my hands until her last breath. The look of her little sad face looking up at me through the anesthesia mask was just too much for me. At one point I pulled the mask off and said I couldn’t do it. But after my friend being there with me, and the vet talking to me and let me know how much baby girl was suffering, I had to let them continue. So very heartbreaking. This is so hard for me. I may consider Unburying and asking them to do the autopsy. The vet told me she did not think that Cozzi and Baby Girls Illness was from the same thing... I just don’t know what to believe.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
How terribly painful for you. Baby Girl is flying high and free now, without illness or pain.

That is a horribly swollen liver, isn't it?
I've only seen one that bad before - my Hank when he had been on Itraconazole for months for Aspergillosis and his AST was over 3,000 (three thousand, normal high about 300). Does the vet have any idea what is causing this?

You should get Cozzi on Milk Thistle immediately. Milk Thistle can't harm him and will help his liver - just in case he has the same thing that was causing Baby Girl's liver to swell.

Could either of your birds breathed something toxic or eaten something toxic. Think hard.

cyoungva

Meeting neighbors
I’ve been thinking really hard about this, I can’t think of anything. I feed them a very good diet, I don’t burn anything with harmful fumes, or use any sprays. Just can’t believe this happened. Wait a minute… As I am typing, it came to me that I did order their rowdy bush pellets and Harrison‘s bird seed from a completely different vendor than I normally do because the original vendor jacked up their prices really high. Oh my Lord, I hope there’s nothing wrong with it or no contamination :( Most of the time I feed them cooked brown rice, hard-boiled eggs, fresh fruits and veggies, but they do like their seed and pellets too. I just feel so lost right now.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Oh I am so sorry to hear of Cozzi being unwell and very very sorry and sad to read that you had to say goodbye to Baby Girl today. I hope you can find out what is going on with Cozzi and help him to feel better. :sadhug2:

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Please try to take one slow step at a time. Do you have anyone else with you that you can talk with? Making important decisions right now will be difficult. We here on AA are a support group too. Also remember Cozzi will need you and be very sensitive to your mood and emotions.

Write down the lot number of the bird foods you got from the new vendor. I will give you a link to the milk thistle sold on amazon.

Amazon.com : Avitech Milk Thistle/Dandelion Liver Detox 1oz : Herbal Supplements : Pet Supplies

Last edited:

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
@cyoungva Look at the expiration date on the bags of Harrison's and Roudybush pellets. Smell them. Make sure they are not out of date nor do they smell bad. Put them in the freezer for 4/5 days.

Do you feed your birds egg shell? Are they from eggs you cooked or from a commercially crushed egg shell product? Shells that aren't very finely crushed can cut the digestive system of a bird. Also, eggs are notorious for carrying bacteria.

I wonder if it might be a good idea for you to get a second opinion from another avian vet about Cozzi?

I know that you are quite upset about Baby Girl's death, but Cozzi needs help right now.

cyoungva

Meeting neighbors
Unfortunately, I don't have the Harrison seed bag anymore. I poured the seed into a sealed container and tossed the bag. The roudybush bag doesn't seem to have a date on it anywhere. No, I have never fed them the shell of the egg, just the cooked hard boiled part. I always have calcium cuttle bones for them. I am really worried about Baby Girls mate that she was caged with, he is very distraught of Baby Girl missing, and he keeps crying and crying. I don't know what to do. I am going to call my vet again about Cozzi, he just started sitting at the bottom of his cage this morning, but I don't know if it is because of the heating pad under the cage area, or if he is showing signs of getting more sick. He went back to his perch a little while ago. As far as feeding the the fruits and veggies...they love romaine lettuce and carrots, they love cooked peas and corn, and fresh cut apples (no seeds). They also love cooked brown rice, and hard boiled eggs (no shell). I always made sure the food is removed from their cage within a half hour to an hour. As far as anyone to talk to, I live alone with my adopted 11 year old nephew. I am completely devastated by my loss of Baby Girl, and now even more concerned for Cozzi.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
His diet sounds great - I would doubt that he contracted anything from his food.

Did the vet perform a Asper Titer Survey? I keep coming back to that - could be wrong could be right.

If you talk to your vet today ask lots and lots of questions.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
The vet confirmed with me today that they did not do an Asper titer test. :(
You may want to have that done depending on how Cozzi is doing and how stressful this would be. Did you discuss possibly doing it with the vet? How is Cozzi doing this evening?