• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cover cage?

skip51

Meeting neighbors
We just returned from a bird expo and was talking to one dealer/breeder who said to not cover the cage, an d leave a night light on. She said that if a strange sound was heard during the night, the bird would be able to see what was going on and not get startled as easily. We have always covered the cage (for over 23 yrs with our last parrot), having read that covering the cage provides a sense of security. We do not have a large enough house to have a separate night-time room for our parrot. Has anyone else heard of this idea of not covering the cage and leaving on a night light?

Skip

BertAllen

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Dave
Coincidence that I have done some searches on here about the same thing just tonight. Seems that some do some don't and some birds like it and some birds hate it. LOL
I'm getting a CAG at the end of August but dropping in to visit the little guy tomorrow I'm going to ask the breeder if they cover them. If they do I will continue doing it.

nu2birds

Real Name
Kurt
I think it depends on the bird..........if you have never had a problem with your bird being covered, I would just continue to cover. If you know your bird suffers from night frights and the cover is not helping, then I might try uncovering and using a night light. My birds sleep in a different room, so I don't cover, but have black out window shades and there is enough light coming from Wi-Fi and computer stuff that there are built in night lights. Mine had a couple of frights the first few nights after they came home.........but now over a year later, I haven't heard any problems and they sleep all through the night.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Not sure if Penny was covered. I did a few nights as I thought it would block distraction but I found she slept in an unatural spot as the cover was uncomfortable. I have not covered her in a while & she will lay down on her flagstone.
She still is aware if
I pass the cAGE BUT seems more comfy seeing whats going on...Guess its the ole imagination is worse than reality.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Some birds are prone to night frights, like cockatiels. Some birds, prefer to be covered. Others don't. Do what works for your home :)

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I do not cover my bird but I have had to quite a few times due to having some very late nights. The nights I have covered him he is not happy about it, he grumps as I put the cover on, carries on for ages after it is on and has a very unsettled sleep then he is generally just cranky the next day. He seems to be much happier to be kept awake or be disturbed if we have a late night rather than be covered.
I have had birds in the past that have certainly preferred to be covered at night.
I think it is a matter of what each bird prefers.

BirdManDan

Real Name
Dan
We don't cover our birds we let them rise and sleep with the sun rising and setting as they would in the wild. I think everyone is different and every bird is different and you should go with what works for each bird and you!
images (59).jpeg Whatever-Works-for-You-at-ASlobComesClean.com_.jpg