• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Couple questions for new parrotlet mommy

Cleopatrajones

Checking out the neighborhood
Hi, Friends!

I have a 4-month-old parrolet male. Still learning a lot about keep him strong, happy and healthy. Per our breeder, he told us not to cover his cage at night, but we are night owls. We try to stay out of the room after 9pm, but sometimes, we are downstairs, and I want him to get good sleep. In this instance, would you suggest a cover or partial cover to help him sleep? Also, I see hanging tents or hammocks. I'm reading differing opinions on them from causing moody birds to them being dangerous. What would you suggest? I notice he loves to be under a toy at night, and before bedtime, he cuddles with me on my shoulder in my hair, so I feel like he might like one for comfort, especially if we don't keep his cage covered.

Any advice would be super helpful, and thank you in advance.

Oh, his name is Falco, by the way. (0:

With respect!

laracroft

Strolling the yard
Hello! Congrats on your new baby! I love the name Falco. In the situation you described, I would start covering him to make sure he gets the correct amount of darkness and is able to sleep. As for the tents and hammocks, they really aren't necessary, and I don't think they're worth the risk. He could get caught in them, some of them shed fibers that can get impacted in his crop (depending on what they're made of), and I'm told they're hard to clean. I personally don't think they're worth the trouble.

PacificPaulie

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Meagan
I second @laracroft 's opinion.

I don't know why the breeder would tell you not to cover your feathered baby, but if you're night owls it seems the most appropriate thing to do.

Also, in the early days with my Paulie I had one of those little cozies and they are pretty difficult to keep clean. Paulie would sleep in one side but I noticed the poo would build up in this side and I became worried about bacteria build up. I ended up washing it and returning it... Paulie doesn't seem to miss it.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Welcome to the forum :fairy2:

I would cover the cage.
My birds are in my living room and me and the Mr work ´til late. I cover 4 of my 6 birds. The other two have boxes to sleep in so it blocks out most of the light (something that won´t work for most).

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
I love the name Falco! How cute :)

My parrotlets were very anti-covering. They would get extremely stressed out about it. I tried it for about 1 month, but I gave up on it. We just decided to stop using that room at night. We bought rolly carts for our computers now.. and if we want to use them at night we roll them to the living room. It is a bit odd maybe, but it works for us.

I would say do what suits your bird. Covers are not a requirement. They do work for some birds. The trickiest thing about bird care is bending our lives to them :) Those cute little faces are so worth it too!

I hope you find what works for your little Falco. :xflove:

Gribouille

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Hi and welcome!
I covered my parrotlet at night, but his cage was quite big so the towel only covered the top and about 15 cm on each side. It was enough for him to understand it was night. I had his cage in the kitchen and we tried to avoid using it after he had gone to bed, but we are night owls too and we regularly had to use the kitchen after 21.00, he didn't care as long as we didn't startle him.
He had a toy hanging from the roof of his cage, he used to sleep on a perch beside it with his head under the threads, or to hang between the roof and the top of the toy. Never understodd how he could be comfortable there but he seemed to like it!

Dgh

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Dana
I use to cover my boy. But when I got my female conure she hated being covered. I started leaving him uncovered and he does fine. I am sometimes up late but the only lighting in their area is a tv. Neither one are bothered by it. If I am up real late I go to the bedroom.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Hi there, we’re night owls compared to our birds - so the ones in our office get covered. They actually seem to like it. I do a good night song, a treat, and cover at 8 pm.

Maybe your breeder had a bad experience.

As far as fleece things, I don’t use the happy huts since everyone says not to but I use these swings. She makes all sizes, and has tons of fabric so just ask if you don’t see a favorite. I actually buy 2 at a time and when one goes in the wash the other goes in the cage.

I also got this awesome toy from @Danita ( Things4Wings) for my parrotlets. They can stand on the little perch and hide inside, and it’s very safe. Right now one goes in and the other goes on top to annoy them.

And pssst guys, her banana birdie bread mix is on sale for $12 today only.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
A treat??? :chocolate: before bed time?! :jawdrop1: Tututututut!!! :bignono:

Do you send them brush their teeth again then?? :watching:

:bounce4: :bounce4: :bounce4:
Yes, you silly bird! They brush their teeth...then they want another song...and another treat....back to the teeth.... oh wait maybe that’s the hoomans.

Gribouille

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Yes, you silly bird! They brush their teeth...then they want another song...and another treat....back to the teeth.... oh wait maybe that’s the hoomans.
:rofl::rofl: Sounds like you are in big trouble !! :rofl::rofl:

CheckeredTail

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Tsushi
I work 3rd shift so I had to cover our little guy, but this kind of perch was also really helpful for him, he felt safe going in and we didn't have to clean a bunch of poop off of it because it was much like a standard perch where poo just falls to the bottom. I don't know if the is the exact brand we had, I think we bought one someone had handmade, but this was the basic concept, a partial tent and a perch and it worked well to give him some darkness when we were living in a one room apartment and I couldn't leave him completely in the dark at bedtime. https://www.chewy.com/super-bird-creations-peekaboo-perch/dp/165636