• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Could you help me determine the sex of Data?

Merovech

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Michael
Hi everybody,

After the untimely and tragic death of my affectionate and dearly beloved Lovebird Jellybean, my wife and I couldn't stand coming back to an empty house and an empty cage.

Thus, we bought a budgie! Avid Star Trek fans, we call it 'Data' (his or her future buddy will be 'Spock'). Budgies were always my first choice, but my Jellybean was a 'rescue' - it was an unexpected baby of a friend's lovebird couple. She couldn't care for her as much as Jellybean deserved - and we adored her.

Anyway, back to Data. I'm very happy and excited to have a budgie in my life and I'm sure I will come to love Data equally to Jellybean.

I'm not too familiar with budgies however, and some of you are experts. Could you help me sex it?

Though I have a slight preference for a male (slightly less hormonal and I won't have to worry about egg binding), I will love it just as much if it turns out to be a female.

Thanks!

Attachments

Gddmsam

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Sam
Congratulations on bringing your new budgie home! Data looks to be female to me. Males tend to have blue nares, while females have pinkish ones. She is beautiful.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Very definitely female. You can tell by the cere coloring. Males are a bright blue or violet as in my budgie. When they are very young the cere color can change. I don't see baby bars on Data's head. Budgies are strong flock instinct species so I strongly suggest you get two. At first I got my male so we could establish a bond but he was very quiet, ate very little and did not play with toys. Basically a perch potato. After we got the female from the same breeder he came alive and it has been that way ever since. I love budgies very much and wish you well. When you have a long budgie getting them to eat their veggies can be a little frustrating at times. One must "think out of the box" to get their interest. Millet will be you best friend for taming.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Love the name! Good luck with Data!

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
Great name for a cute bird.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Congrats on getting Data. Very beautiful budgie. Love the name. I'm also a ST fan.

SquawksNibbles

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kiera
Like others have said, your very beautiful Budgie looks to be female. Males' ceres tend to be blue or purple. (By the way, there Ceres are the fleshy colored part located above their beak.)

It took my Budgie, Nico's, cere a while to get its full color. At first we were convinced he was female because it was more pink, but it then started to get more purple and there hasn't been any babies (he is bonded and caged with our for sure male Budgie, Skittles), so we are certain he is male.

My other Budgie, Skittles, cere is very very blue, so his gender was very easy to tell.

Just remember, females' ceres are pink or brown. Males are either blue or purple, most blue, though.

I'm sorry for the loss Jellybean. I know how hard it is to loose a bird you were very close to.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Male - Blue, Purple, Pink

Female - White, White with Blue, White with Tan, Tan, Brown, Crusty Brown

I want to say female, but I'm also leaning towards male. Is the cere clean? Or is it dirty with something brown on it?

PoukieBear

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michelle
Because Data is a Recessive Pied, a pink/purple cere like in the photos would indicate a male. (at least that's how it's showing up on my computer screen)

Merovech

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Michael
Thank you all so much. This is the best picture I could make of her (or his) cere. As you can see, in some lighting it seems rather crusty, but I feel the right (her left) part is more representative for how it 'looks'. Upon inspection it doesn't look particularly crusty, but not smooth either. It's particularly slightly crusty on the buttom where here cere touches the beak.

Attachments

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
That last image I'm saying male.

Can you get any videos of Data making any noises?

Merovech

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Michael
That last image I'm saying male.
Even with the visible flaking on the cere? Interesting...!

Can you get any videos of Data making any noises?
Unfortunately, that's very difficult! (S)he is a very quiet bird, only occasionally making very quiet noises during movies. Twice a day, usually in the morning and in the evening, (s)he'll make a few relatively loud warbling noises. By the time my camera or recorder is out, it has usually stopped. :p

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Pink cere indicates male. I have seen males where their cere became crusty like in appearance, but it was no where near the crustyness of a female's cere.

Males do tend to be more vocal than females, too. Unless Data is still settling in, I'd expect some more noises.

Merovech

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Michael
Pink cere indicates male. I have seen males where their cere became crusty like in appearance, but it was no where near the crustyness of a female's cere.

Males do tend to be more vocal than females, too. Unless Data is still settling in, I'd expect some more noises.
I've actually managed to make a video him/her making sounds today. Please ignore the movie in the background; (s)he only usually makes noises when there's movies on!

Last edited:

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Can't view the video, it's private.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Females usually don't sing too much, but males generally are pretty vocal. Still leaning towards males! Sounds cute! :)