• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Could use some good vibes

MiniMacaw

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lisa
My little guy Snowy could use some good thoughts coming his way. He got attacked by a large dog and his trachea was punctured. Thinking it would hopefully heal itself we waited overnight to see how he'd do while I kept his IV going all night. His breathing was so labored this am and under his skin ballooned up with air making him look like he was twice his size. So straight to the emergency vet we went.
He just had surgery where he had one ring of his trachea removed and a quarter size hole fixed. We couldn't tell on the multiple x-rays that the hole was that big. Thank goodness we got him in for surgery today. The surgeon said he wouldn't have lasted the night. Now he's in the ER clinic getting oxygen and breathing on his own. The surgeon said the surgery went really well. I can visit him tomorrow morning but he'll be in recovery for some days yet.
I got him four years ago when he was already over 10 yrs old at my county pound. He may be an old fellow but he's young at heart and the best dog.
I've already gotten flack from my family (mainly those lovely in-laws) that I shouldn't have spent the money I did on a surgery like this but with the prognosis really good since he's a healthy guy it's my job to give him his best shot. And the fact he's breathing on his own now is great!
The pic is from last night when the vets thought he could heal without the surgery. 30973.jpeg

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
sending prayer and good thoughts

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
Sending good thoughts for Snowy.
You did the right thing.

Just-passn-thru

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
Prognosis is good, other than the attack of big dog, he is healthy ,hopefully because of his advanced age he will make a full recovery, and give you a few more years together.
Wishing for snowy to have a full recovery :hug8:

BlueAbyss

Walking the driveway
Sending some good thoughts your way. Praying for a smooth and full recovery. :hug8:

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
I'm so sorry Snowy got injured. Poor guy. He's very cute and I hope he recovers quickly and fully. Sending get well wishes

Was the dog that bit him off leash?

Sarahmoluccan

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Poor Snowy! I'm so sorry that happened to your little guy. Its good he has you in his corner. I hope he makes a full recovery. You and Snowy will be in my thoughts and prayers.
:sadhug2:

MiniMacaw

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lisa
I'm so sorry Snowy got injured. Poor guy. He's very cute and I hope he recovers quickly and fully. Sending get well wishes

Was the dog that bit him off leash?
It happened at my house of all places. My mom brought over her newly adopted puppy...Only seven months old from a rescue. Never shown aggression to any dog or cat before. They were having supervised play in my backyard, we were all out there. And out of the blue he snapped and grabbed snowy by the neck, tossed him down and clamped on. My husband ran and got the dog off him and then the dog ran back to snowy trying to get him again. At that point my husband picked the aggressive dog up, ran him into our house and locked him in a bathroom.
I grabbed snowy and took him inside. I could tell he needed a vet right away so we ran to the truck.
My mom called the rescue she got her puppy from and they took him back. They said they'll rehome him to a home with no small animals...And I recommended no kids either but we'll see if they listen.
I have a not small amount of experience with dogs and I've never seen such a young puppy flip a switch like that and try to kill another dog. It wasn't just a warning bite, it was full attack mode. The rescue explained he had some abuse in his past and a skull fracture so while I feel awful for snowy, I'm also pretty sad for that puppy, though at least the rescue said they'll find him an appropriate home.

I'm so thankful Snowy made it through the surgery and I'll post an update when I see him tomorrow morning.

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
It happened at my house of all places. My mom brought over her newly adopted puppy...Only seven months old from a rescue. Never shown aggression to any dog or cat before. They were having supervised play in my backyard, we were all out there. And out of the blue he snapped and grabbed snowy by the neck, tossed him down and clamped on. My husband ran and got the dog off him and then the dog ran back to snowy trying to get him again. At that point my husband picked the aggressive dog up, ran him into our house and locked him in a bathroom.
I grabbed snowy and took him inside. I could tell he needed a vet right away so we ran to the truck.
My mom called the rescue she got her puppy from and they took him back. They said they'll rehome him to a home with no small animals...And I recommended no kids either but we'll see if they listen.
I have a not small amount of experience with dogs and I've never seen such a young puppy flip a switch like that and try to kill another dog. It wasn't just a warning bite, it was full attack mode. The rescue explained he had some abuse in his past and a skull fracture so while I feel awful for snowy, I'm also pretty sad for that puppy, though at least the rescue said they'll find him an appropriate home.

I'm so thankful Snowy made it through the surgery and I'll post an update when I see him tomorrow morning.
Wow, sad that that happened.:(

Hugs to Snowy and you :hug8:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sorry about Snowy. Sending positive thoughts that he recovers quickly.

MiniMacaw

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lisa
I visited him today and he looks great! (As great as he can with his injuries) He even tried to jump on the couch in the visitors room. He gets to come home today around five since he's doing so well. He'll have a pressure bandage on and many many meds to take but I think he'll be happier healing at home.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
That's excellent news!

Sarahmoluccan

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Great news!! I hope he continues to get better :heart:

MiniMacaw

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lisa
IMG_20170604_172730834.jpg
Here he is post surgery and home! Surgery went really well and his recovery has been smooth thus far too. Now he's going to relax at home and hopefully keep healing. He already sounds way better.

theocnoob

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pablo and George
I wish your little guy a speedy recovery he's adorable. :)