• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Could use some cage help

Leigh Porter

Moving in
So here's me. And I have a new birb. And NO ideas on how to set his cage up. I look at other people's stuff and right away I can feel Tailgate's eyes borin' into me like: Mom, mom see? THOSE birbs have nice homes. What do I have? A rope and some dishes.

This is the set up Tailgate has right now. Any suggestions on how to arrange what he has now / what i should include / what i should remove is appreciated <3

The image doesn't show it, but there's another perch beside that pinata toy. It's hidden by the dish.

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
@Leigh Porter I have the exact cage for my Fergus and Fiona! And of course, I just made the statement that sometimes people ask me 'where are the birds' because I think their cage is overstuffed with toys.... it seems I can 'add' but I can't subtract toys very well! So... here's the cage, but please don't let me corrupt you here!
Oh - and welcome!!! :welcome2:
Hope you will enjoy AA as much as I do.

FERGUS AND FIONA STUFFED CAGE AUGUST 2018.jpg

Leigh Porter

Moving in
.... I have been corrupted. XD Now i wanna buy all the things and hope that somethin' gets his attention!

- ya know, I have that same mirror that you have in the bottom left corner, only Tailgate's is blue.

MiniMacaw

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lisa
Budgies love balsa so I’d start with some cute balsa toys. Mine also love their platform perches so maybe look into one or two of those?
Tailgate is a great name too. :)

Nikomania

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I'd run another rope perch higher up in the cage that will allow him to walk across and easily access his toys. Do have a rope leading to both his food and water dishes?
What I do is set up the cage, watch how they move about inside, and then make adjustments accordingly.

Leigh Porter

Moving in
Platform perches sound awesome! Any recommendations on purchase places?
Haha, thank you. Tailgate is actually the name of a transformer. It was one between that and snowcone, which... when you're a nerdy bunch who attends- you can imagine that 'Snowcone' didn't stand a chance. XD

The rope that I have is a 31", and the picture is awful in that it doesn't show how it bends. It actually bends back towards the toys so he can access them from the top, then the rope goes down and bends back past the blue dishes. ( food and water ). H actually doesn't move much, just sits at the top mainly where you see him. He climbs down the back of the cage to get to his dishes instead of bein' normal and usin' the rope that will take him right to it. x x

MiniMacaw

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lisa
Platform perches sound awesome! Any recommendations on purchase places?
Haha, thank you. Tailgate is actually the name of a transformer. It was one between that and snowcone, which... when you're a nerdy bunch who attends- you can imagine that 'Snowcone' didn't stand a chance. XD

The rope that I have is a 31", and the picture is awful in that it doesn't show how it bends. It actually bends back towards the toys so he can access them from the top, then the rope goes down and bends back past the blue dishes. ( food and water ). H actually doesn't move much, just sits at the top mainly where you see him. He climbs down the back of the cage to get to his dishes instead of bein' normal and usin' the rope that will take him right to it. x x
I like the platform perches at the best bird toys (on Etsy and a vendor here), as well as tweety pies (also a vendor). They both have cute balsa toys as well. :)

Fergus Mom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
.... I have been corrupted. XD Now i wanna buy all the things and hope that somethin' gets his attention!

- ya know, I have that same mirror that you have in the bottom left corner, only Tailgate's is blue.

Fergus says to tell Tailgate that he would like a blue one too, instead of pink, but that he doesn't even mind it being pink as long as he can get a peek at his bootiful handsome self! There are actually 2 mirrors IN the cage (pink one that you see in bottom left) a blue one at the top perch to the right (not visible because of pic angle), and one on TOP of the cage just in case they need to look at themselves up there!
Now Mama is saying - 'They're such vain little creatures, aren't they?' Ha haaa

Fergus Mom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
Oh - and I meant to ask you @Leigh Porter - why did you remove the feeding dishes that go in the bottom of the cage that came with it? I'm just curious!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]

MiniMacaw

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lisa
I also second lilmonsters bird toys for great toys! :heart: Both my budgies and parrotlet have cages stocked with her toys. It’s nice knowing they’re made safely and they’re so cute. This is my favorite toy for littles...Halloween bat for foraging and nibbling on. 13921EB1-FFDF-44EC-90E3-4E8B016D6132.jpeg

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
This is my budgie's cage, as of today. I made a lot of the toys myself. I also wrapped all the platforms in newspaper, much easier to clean. The big one higher up and to the side is a sundeck perch, they have them on amazon, and the others are from @jerseybella 's store Tweety Pie's Bird Toys.

I have a lot of foraging opportunities, Chirp's current favorite is that white tray. I got a set of 2 at walmart for 97 cents. I tied it to the cage and filled it with toy parts and put in some snacks.

He has 4 platforms, 2 rope perches, 2 manzanita perches, 1 grapewood perch, 1 pedi-perch and a couple of swings.

Leigh Porter

Moving in
Tailgate is unhappy that he does not have all this cool stuff. NOT THAT HE WANTS TO PLAY WITH ANYTHIN' XD
Also, I removed the trays that came with it cause he just would NOT use them for some reason. He bumped his noggin' on the top of one the first day and after that he just absolutely refused to touch 'em. XD

Fergus Mom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
I removed the trays that came with it cause he just would NOT use them for some reason. He bumped his noggin' on the top of one the first day and after that he just absolutely refused to touch 'em. XD

Well there ya go! BAD feeding dish to bump that sweet birdie's head! (I can picture us spanking it like we did when toddler's bumped into stuff!) LOL

Oooooh Bee @taxidermynerd I love your cage set up!

I can't wait to see when you get Tailgate's cage all set up Leigh!

Have you seen this one? Ha haaaa!

Attachments

Leigh Porter

Moving in
So I spent a small amount of dollars on some bird-makin' toy supplies, includin' a bunch of balsa, ropes, and the likes. I'm gonna try to tie in one of those baskets to Tailgate's cage and throw some foot toys in there for him... and is that the two-drawer mini organizer from the Dollar Tree that you have in the back? ( the green thing ) I have a couple of those, but blue. XD I may have to take that idea! ( though Tailgate would probably look at me like I'm the worse mom ever )

OMG, Elly. You totally made my day. XD THAT IS THE BEST ATTACHMENT EVER.
Haha. Yes, that evil lil' dish! OFF WITH IT!

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
and is that the two-drawer mini organizer from the Dollar Tree that you have in the back? ( the green thing ) I have a couple of those, but blue. XD I may have to take that idea! ( though Tailgate would probably look at me like I'm the worse mom ever )
I got it from @Laurie 's store, you could talk to her and see if she still has them or if she can give you ideas.