• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Could I keep the canary isolated in a room?

Lili

Moving in
Real Name
Lili
Hello,
My canary is a singer and I thought I could do my work with him around but... he sings too much.

I guess this fits perfectly the saying "be careful what you wish for" :)

My question is, could I keep him isolated in a room and visit him from time to time, or he needs to be with me all day long?

Thanks.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Many people on the forum, myself included, have bird dedicated rooms or rooms where the bird resides that is not the main living area.

However, most of us have multiple birds so they keep each other company. Any chance of a friend for your canary?
:)

Last edited:

Lili

Moving in
Real Name
Lili
Do you mean, another canary?
In a different cage? I don't think so. Need to talk to my boy friend but we already have a dog and a fish.

budgies123

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Do you mean, another canary?
In a different cage? I don't think so. Need to talk to my boy friend but we already have a dog and a fish.
is your cage big and has lots of entertainment for the canary?

Harleyandme

Sprinting down the street
I think another one is a good idea but if you buy two males, they will compete in song and one may stop singing because he feels inferior to the other. But, if you get a female he will probably stop altogether because he has a mate. Make sure there is plenty to do in the cage.

Just-passn-thru

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
Hello,
My canary is a singer and I thought I could do my work with him around but... he sings too much.

I guess this fits perfectly the saying "be careful what you wish for" :)

My question is, could I keep him isolated in a room and visit him from time to time, or he needs to be with me all day long?

Thanks.
I have kept 2 males together in the same large cage, both sang up a storm , they were in my Master bedroom in front of a large window . They were happy. Both lived to a ripe old ae of 12 years.

Birds are social beings and thrive within a flock , I think it would be unfair for the poor little canary to be shout out and alone because of who he is.

If you can get him company of another canary in the same Cage I don't know how big your current cage is. that would be putting his wellbeing in the forefront.

If he has become an inconvenience to you , possible you could find him a home where he is part of the family and loved for who he is. Put yourself in his position how would you like to be shut away because you are inconvenience. :shakehead: they have no say so in the matter. very sad indeed :sad1: They are sentient beings , please exercise compassion , all creatures' are important great or small .

:chickenswinger:

Last edited:

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
He will be very lonely. What do you mean by "sings to much?" Would covering him in the evening and night solve the problem?
Canaries are pretty social, they like to be around people. Does he have toys? Maybe that would occupy him. Mine have toys they chew and shred.

nellysmom

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Diane
They are social animals and being isolated could be detrimental. maybe another bird to keep him company like a parakeet or a pair of finches. If you really find this upsetting then a new home would be best for him

Lili

Moving in
Real Name
Lili
Thank you all for your answers.
No, I will not give him away. I love him. :)
Also, I cannot have him with me in the same room at least for the next 6 month.

I am wondering if I should bring him a another male . The cage is: 23 inch long; 16 inch wide and; 14 inched high.

If I bring a second male in his cage:
1. is he going to sing?
2. is he going to be stressed?
3. can they get into fighting?
4. can they compete for food, eve if there is enough food?

Thank you.

Attachments

nellysmom

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Diane
From what I know maybe to #1 and yes to the rest. I'm just curious if one canary is to loud what do you expect from 2? If you are intent on doing this than the new guy should have his own cage unless you think that might be to much trouble. I have a canary and he sings 24/7 sometimes even when he is coverd. The quiet that happens when he is molting is unbelievable.

Tim

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
There are also two incongruous ideas you are presenting--
1) You love him, and will not consider giving him a better home.
2) You want to isolate him and only visit from time to time.
Kinda like saying "I want a baby, but only on the weekends".

nellysmom

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Diane
BTW my canary has a swing that he loves,several small acrylic toys that he plays with from time to time and still sings like crazy. Just because he is a little bird doesn't mean he doesn't have feelings or is intelligent. You might be better off with a fish. They at least are quiet.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Your cage is too small (if he does not ever come out and fly around in the house). If you are thinking of a 2nd canary, please do get a larger cage. Something like this.

Or, depending on your setup, let him / them fly in the room for a few hours each day. I have 2, a male and a female. I do not give them a nest so that they don't have babies. My male does not sing that often, maybe 4 times a day. I keep the door to their cage open during the day, they come out and fly a little then go back in their cage. I do not find them any trouble at all; in fact, they are some of my easiest birds.

If I bring a second male in his cage:
1. is he going to sing?
Yes. This is what male canaries do. They will not usually sing at the same time, each one sings intermittently.
2. is he going to be stressed? At first, probably. But they get used to each other fairly quickly. Put the new one in a cage beside him at first, then move them together after a week. You could do this by purchasing the new cage, put the new bird in it, then move your guy in with the new one.
3. can they get into fighting? Not likely.
4. can they compete for food, eve if there is enough food? Canaries are laid back and do not fight over food. As long as you provide enough, no one will starve.

Lili

Moving in
Real Name
Lili
Thank you all for your responses. Could you suggest any toys for a canary?

I had one as a child. Yet, back there and then, toys for pets were not a big thing.
He lived 10 years. And he was the joy of our house.
He lived in 1/3 of the space my current one has. He had two perches wall to wall and a swing. That was all he had. We would give him every day, carrots, or apples or romaine lettuce. Sometimes we would take the cage out so he would "talk" with the wild finches.

This is what I know about a canary and this is how my first one lived 10 years.

And this is why I am here now trying to learn as much as I can.

Thank you for your help.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I truly think you do not have a good understanding of what a companion bird's needs are. Its good that you want to learn. They need to be in the main room of a home so they are part of all the action. They need to be understood and part of a flock be it human or avian. Yes that cage looks like a temporary cage not one for a bird to stay in all day and night. We bird people sometimes put the birds needs before ours. I know I do. What about the ear plugs? There is no bird that will be silent and thrive isolated from the flock.

This bird needs the proper diet (not all seed), socialization with humans/same species bird, adequate space inside the cage and outside the cage for exercise, companionship, once a year check ups with an avian vet, a guardian that understands avian needs and willing to learn. Add entertainment to the list too in the way of safe toys and perhaps music and one on one quality time with the guardian (daily). Add to the list 12 hours of quality sleep at night with no human noises like TV or conversation. Add to the list a clean, sanitary cage. Add to the list checking the interior items in the cage for safety. Example a rope perch that is coming apart or a hook that will not close over the toy. Add to the list a safe environment in which the bird can fly and enjoy being a bird with no safety hazards like windows or mirrors or sharp edges to land on.
Birds need a safe place to land outside the cage like a play stand. I can go on and on with this. As far as the type of toys you need that would be toys that are preferable not made in China like in the pet store. We have many vendors here that sell toys. You can consult with any one or more of them about specifics. Start another thread about Canary toys. I am sure the vendors will help you.

Last edited: