• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cotton candy grapes

CrazyBirdChick

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
Where did you buy these? The grapes I mean.
I'm not sure if you're asking me or Shawna but if you're asking me I got them from a Mariano's supermarket by me. I know that store is not in every state so I don't know if you have one by you. I've seen them at Whole foods before too

janicedyh

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janice
I saw them at Publix, they cost about the same as the organic grapes. Someone beat me to mentioning the pesticides on the skins. You can't wash it off. They are listed in the dirty dozen. This is an old list, I'm sure they have updated it but this one is what I have had on my fridge for years.
The dirty dozen and clean 15 of produce - Need to Know | PBS

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
I saw them at Publix, they cost about the same as the organic grapes. Someone beat me to mentioning the pesticides on the skins. You can't wash it off. They are listed in the dirty dozen. This is an old list, I'm sure they have updated it but this one is what I have had on my fridge for years.
The dirty dozen and clean 15 of produce - Need to Know | PBS
Thank you, and I meant to also say thank you to Dianne too for mentioning that but I was driving earlier. I know this and it scares me but what can we do besides washing as best as we can? :(

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Here is the 2019 listing: 2019 "Dirty Dozen" and "Clean 15" lists released - Produce Retailer

Basically the Dirty Dozen they recommend buying as organic when possible, and the Clean 15 are the ones that there is no measurable difference between organic and conventionally grown.

They do state though, that there is a "greater health risk from not eating fruits and vegetables than from any theoretical risk that might be posed by consuming trace amounts of pesticide residues."

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I haven’t tried those but hubby keeps bringing home Muscadine grapes. The. Only thing better than those is Muscadine wine.

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
Yup, it's a shame. Grow your own I guess. I am growing tomatoes, strawberries, lettuces, spices just to mention a few in my apartment using AreoGardens. No dirt no soil just water.
That really is the only way! Either an aerogarden or your own yard/balcony.

Rain Bow

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I didn't know about this variation of grapes, so I wouldn't have known about them unless I noticed the smaller bag. I shop @ a small grocery, so they may not ever carry them. I will keep an eye out for them when I'm in the bigger stores tho. Thanks for posting the heads up!

Princessbella

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Theresa
You spoiled me. I went shopping today because somebirdie needed broccoli and guess what I saw? They looked really weird but taste amazing. I would describe the taste not too sweet but definitely not as acidic. Bella doesn't eat grapes so she looked at them with disgust.
Have you guys ( humans) ever tried these? They are amazing!

I was thinking about letting Blu try one but I'm very reluctant because I have a feeling once he tastes one his pallete will forever be ruined because they're so extremely sweet that regular grapes will never be good enough....and cotton candy grape season is only a few weeks long each summer.

Has your bird ever had them?

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
Cotton Candy grapes. I LOVE them and will pay whatever price is asked. Sams Club had a different brand of grapes recently that were called; Candy Heart grapes. They had a slight taste of strawberry. Not as good as Cotton Candy but they were good too.
Interesting! I've never heard of them. I just Googled and they were being described as tasting like marshmallow & caramel. I'll keep an eye out for them!

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
I have heard of them. I have never seen them in the store though. Rave reviews on them as in awesome.

I don't keep grapes in the house due to owning dogs. Too much room for error even dropping just one!