• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Costa Rica: Great Green Macaws and more

piercesdesigns

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Debbie
We just got back from the Osa Peninsula in Costa. We saw tons of Scarlets eating the almonds. No Great Greens. But what an awesome place on earth.

We are already planning our return.

LaSelva

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
David
The blue bags over the banana plants are used to protect them from the hot sun and insects. The leaves of the tree with the red flowers collect water and are used by Great Green macaws for drinking.

Attachments

LaSelva

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
David
Piercesdesigns, I agree. It's a very special place. They are unique in that they value the natural world around them and have made conservation pay off. This was our second visit. After the first I was also determined to return one day. On our way back from that first trip, at the airport, I bought a book on national parks and wildlife. I carefully read it and picked my next destination based on viewing opportunities the country offers. On the first visit we saw Scarlet macaws in Carara National Park and visited Volcan Irazu. We also visited a coffee plantation, museum of the history of volcaninc activity in the country, a botanical garden, and a cathedral in San Jose among others. Culture and nature are the two biggest attractions for me and my wife when it comes to travel.

Attachments

piercesdesigns

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Debbie
Funny, looking at your pics I saw almost all those things except the sloths and the great greens.

I see you saw the Fur de Lance too? LOL A bit scary.

I loved waking up to the howler monkeys every day.

LaSelva

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
David
I feel the same way about the howler monkeys….those growls beginning at @ 5:30 am! LOL. Very surreal, there’s nothing like being there. I woke up on a rainy and overcast morning the other day and commented to my wife how that sound is missing. Quite the contrast to that world is being back in NY. From the moment we step out of JFK airport the stress of going back to our busy life begins to set in. From the first blast of polluted air to the rude cab drivers (ours could barely find his way out of the airport), there’s no mistaking it. As they say, “back to reality.”

Katster

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
super pretty shots. what an adventure. thanks for sharing and taking us along :D