• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cosmo, Mojito and Kahlua's Story

DarkSoldier246

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Eric
These three bird brothers were hatched on July 2nd, 4th, and 6th of 2010. I didn't know them until Mid-January of 2011 when my boss at work came to me and asked me if I wanted to expand my flock. (She is the co-owner of a small bird shop as her other job) they had a clutch of 4 yellow sided conure's and she told me that at around 6 months two of the 4 started to go blind in 1 eye and stayed at the bottom of the cage. She knew I had bird experience and wanted to know if I could adopt them both so they could stay together. I wasn't looking to increase the flock at that point but I couldn't say no to the little guys so I took them in. I took them out every day and after about a week they weren't afraid of me anymore, I was very excited. Well right around a week later I got a call from my boss asking how they were doing, and then gave me some troubling news. One of the remaining 2 brothers had stayed at the bottom of the cage (he used to hang out down there to protect the partially blind 2 while they were there.) However, now his vision seemed to be failing as well. I agreed to add him to the group since the last thing I wanted to do was split them up. And so Mojito joined the club. At this point I knew I needed to take them to the doctor (they were still under quarentine at my house) to see what was going on with these guys and if it was possible to cure it.

The news at the Vet's wasn't promising. He said that it was a congenital defect in the clutch and that most likely they would develop heavy cataracts in both eyes as their age progress but he could not give a definite timeline, however he said if it happened in one eye so early that it might not be too long. Well sure enough about 6 more months, right after the turned 1 year old they all started getting more aggressive and scared of me, where as before they wouldnt mind being taken out and put on the playgym, now they started to lunge at me. Well thats when I noticed the cataract in the wrong eye...then I realized it was because the blindness had finally progressed to both eyes and they could probably only barely see shadows at this point, and definitely didnt recognize me anymore.

I was heartbroken for my little buddies but i knew it was a grim possibility and unfortunately it happened. But I knew I had to be strong for them and after a few weeks of being what I assume is fully blind (both eyes completely glazed with cataracts) they seem to be adjusting just fine.

I can no longer take them out and interact with them but I bought them a nice big cage to spend their days in and gave them plenty of fun toys to occupy their time. And I am happy to report that they go up to the high perches still and play with toys. Every day I walk in and see them just being "regular" birds it makes me so happy. They don't let it bring them down. Even though they lost their vision they didnt lose their spirit. I worried they would just sit scared and shaking in a corner like when I first got them but they have overcome blindness and are making the most out of their lives and thats all I want for them. They have eachother and they will always have me. I will always cherish the times when I was able to play with them, but I know they are still happy to goof around in their big cage with their brothers, and thats good enough for me :]

And if, God forbid, that 4th conure brother has lost his vision too I hope he has found a good family. And if he ever finds his way back to the bird store in need of a home, I will gladly welcome him to join his brothers to grow old with, together.:heart:

Attachments

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Does talking soothing while getting close to them seem to make a difference? You really think they cannot learn to navigate their way, outside of the cage? Thank you, you are a special person for opening your heart and home to them.:hug8:

DarkSoldier246

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Eric
Ive always talked to them even when they could see because I feel it makes a huge difference with bonding with birds and them being comfortable around you. And now when they know its me changing their food because of my voice they usually just retreat to a corner instead of attacking

And I used to always leave the cage doors open and they would come right out to the play gym and play and eat millet and be merry. But they have no interest in coming out anymore. It's been about a month since they've wanted to come out. It may be because they love to stick together so if even one doesnt want to come out anymore than none of them will.

Another concern would be that now their wings are fully grown and I didn't clip them so if they fell in their big cage, then they could not fall as hard because they could flap and get some assistance. So if they were to come out now and get spooked by pretty much anything and flew I shudder to think what would happen if they were "flying blind"

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
so happy you took them into your home

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
Bless Your heart for Taking such special care of these "Special" Little ones:hug8::hug8::hug8:

marian

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'll echo what everyone said above.....thanks so much for taking them into your home and heart.:)

FidFlock

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Nikki
Thanks to you for taking them in, and it makes me so happy to think of them; never separated, and living their days in happiness. Thank you :heart:

briabelletee

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Bria
what a wonderful thing to do... they will forever be together because of your kindness. My heart goes out to them:heart: