• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cosi (ragdoll kitten) is home

Status
Not open for further replies.

Abby

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Mary
We picked the boy up a day early. Long pathetic story on my behalf there, anyway...

He's settling quite well. Elsa (our other cat) is not impressed, spent a good part of yesterday afternoon wandering and hissing at us and making sure we all knew she was ••••ed. I've introduced Cosi to teh GCCs who as planned nipped his paws so I hope he's got the hint early.

His pedigree name is Kyeema Cosi Wil. Oh and one set of his great grandparents are Americans.

Some pics from last night, not the best but it's something.

Just sitting

Between Jeff and I

Oh what's down there

Off to explore.

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Cute.. :heart: congrats!

Archiesmom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Natalie
Ohh, he is SO cute! Huge aww factor over here :hug8:
Congratulations!

TITANIS

Ragdolls seem to becoming more popular from what cat lovers are telling me. What are their good points?

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
He's so cute!! :D

Brigidt36

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Brigid Thompson
Awww, totally adorable!!!!

Abby

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Mary
Ragdolls seem to becoming more popular from what cat lovers are telling me. What are their good points?
Earlier this year I got my 15yo Russian X put down due to cancer. When I decided that I wanted another cat I was looking at some criteria. I basically wanted what be potentially a large, fluffy lap cat that visually appealed to me. Being a bird breeder who has babies inside plus my own larger companion birds I wanted a cat that had less of a natural hunter instinct. I was initially looking at an Australian Tiffanie (Chinchilla X Birman a recognised individual breed here in the cat world). I emailed a breeder who was very honest and said that she wouldn't in all good faith sell me a kitten as she knew her cats had the hunter instinct there. I also looked at Chinchillas cats but heard too many horror stories concerning their coats from vet nurses and the attitude. I spoke to the cat fanciers association as well as a couple of other breeders who pointed me towards the ragdoll. I clicked with a local long term breeder ands after visiting and meeting his adult cats found that this is the cat that would fit into our household and this was a breeder I could respect.

This is a quote from his site
"The Ragdoll is a calm, quiet and affectionate cat. They are alert, playful, intelligent and are easily voice trained.
The Ragdoll fur feels just like rabbit fur. They have medium length coat which, under normal conditions, does not mat.
Shedding for the Ragdoll is minimal, a grooming once a week is usually enough.
Ragdoll kittens are born white and have blue eyes.
They do not reach full body weight and color until they are 2 to 3 years old.
Some neutered males can weigh 15 to 20 pounds and spayed females weigh about 7 to 12 pounds."
Kyeema Ragdoll Cattery of South Australia

The photo of the cat on the link is Merlin (one of the breeders ex show cats and now pet) as a younger cat. He's this huge placid boy that is just so sweet. You walk in and he's generally just flopped out somwhere, give him a rub and you get one eye open and a purr.

So in after all that what are the points that made me decide on a raggy. The look, the calm laid back nature, medium care, quiet (oriental cat voices are like nails on a blackboard for me) and able to deal with the kids and birds.

A number of people asked why I wouldn't get another Russian. Well after 15 years with my old boy I just couldn't go down that path again. Too many memories. I do however highly recommend Russians. Stunning cat and lovely even nature. My Bashkah was one of the best.

TITANIS

Thank you very much for the informative post on Ragdolls. I didn't know much about them before. Speaking of large cats, what do you think of Maine Coons?

Mystics Mom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tanya
awwwww very sweet kitty....love kittys:heart:

Abby

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Mary
Thank you very much for the informative post on Ragdolls. I didn't know much about them before. Speaking of large cats, what do you think of Maine Coons?
To be perfectly honest I don't know much about them. Visually I wanted the large pale colour cat with blue or green eyes and maine coons didn't fit this. I started with looks got a few breeds down on the short list and then started going through the personality/breed traits and care that would best fit into our family. Yeah, bit superficial. :o:

I have heard great reports about them but that's from cat people rather then bird people if that makes sense.

rocabird

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
dawn
The description Abby posted is pretty much fits my Ragdoll, Woody, to a T. I adopted him 2 years ago after he was diagnosed with diabetes and his owner was going to put him to sleep. My plan was originally to foster him, hopefully get his diabetes regulated and adopt him out. Well with his personality, he ended up staying. He is the most easygoing cat, it is definitely a breed I would recommend. Here's a pic of him. He is a seal mitt- He is darker with a white chin, bib, belly and mitts on his feet.

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
What a beautiful kitten! Great markings. :heart:

Shadera

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Shadera
He's gorgeous, can't wait to see him when he matures into his full color. I'm so happy I could help sway you toward these big lovable lumps.

Vinnie is doing great. Took him to be groomed a few weeks ago, he even took the bath in stride. We're working on adopting one of his past kittens (now adult) that needs a new home.

I wish you both a happy and long life together.

Oh yeah, make sure you share lots of pics. ;)

Hoosierparrotmom

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Katie
Wow that is a gorgeous kitty. I was just asked yesterday by my aunt if I had to pick only one pet to live with, what would it be, and I had to answer cat. I was torn between cat and bird, but seriously, you can't sleep with a bird!! LOL!

God willing I'll never have to live with only one and it won't matter! Thank god I'm married though or I'd literally be the crazy cat lady with like 6 or 7 cats. (Not the really large groups, just bigger than most people would want, LOL). My husband puts limits though, ha ha!

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
what a cutie pie

Status
Not open for further replies.