• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Corvid Tongue Thrashing?

Emmceecee

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Jill
Hello! I'm new. I have a month old Corvid (legal) and she's doing a really strange mouth tongue thing? It almost seems as if she's licking her beak as we would our lips. Ive also seen her stick her tongue out to one side. Is this abnormal behavior? It's not constant. Usually while or after eating. I'm not noticing any other problems. Active, good appetite, preening normally. My avian vet is on Holiday for the next 2 weeks. Has anyone seen this behavior before?

Here is a link to a video. File_000.mov - Google Drive

Thank you,
J.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Sorry, I don't know about the behavior, but she's so cute!

zvezdast

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
I don't know about these birds, but I've seen my lovebird lick her beak, usually after eating.

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
I'm not a expert on these guys either but what I see doesn't look like a big issue. She looks and sounds happy so good job so far. Crows are such amazing birds.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
That looks normal to me, Ive seen the crows and Ravens do it at the wildlife rescue, as well as my own birds. OMG! She's precious!!

Emmceecee

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Jill
Thanks for your thoughts! She's the sweetest! I'm a new Corvid mom, so I may just be a Nervous Nellie. I've never seen a bird lick its *lips* like she does. It's pretty funny!