• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Corvid Diet

TehLizardKing

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Stevie
Hey gang, I've got another rescue, a baby jackdaw this time, god he's gorgeous. He came in when he was pretty small so I think he might well be imprinted, but the aim is to get him free flying around the place (very secluded) until he hopefully realises he's a jackdaw and joins up with the flock in the wood next door.

He's doing well on a diet of very expensive 'complete GoCat turkey and rabbit with vegetables' kibble soaked in boiling water until soggy, pre-killed mealworms and boiled eggs, with vitamin and mineral supplements, but I was wondering what would be advisable to feed him once he's weaned? The wild daws I know eat generally insects and grain, but I'm not too clued up on corvid nutrition. Cheers guys!

IMG_6388.JPG

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
He's adorable! Thanks for helping! They are onmivores and will eat meat, insect's, seed, eggs is good, maybe some cooked pasta or brown rice, small amount of cooked diced chicken. Sounds like you're doing well so far with his diet.

CBS

Checking out the neighborhood
I've been rehabbing and raising crows for a few years now. The key is protein, protein, and more protein. I feed a diet of soaked high protein dog food, mice, day-old chicks, chicken heart, chicken wings, super worms (live), hardboiled eggs, and fruit. You can also sprinkle calcium (I use ground-up tums) to make sure he's getting enough for good bone development. Good luck. He's adorable.