• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Corn Snake or Mouse/Mice?

Einstein'sMommy

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Monica
I was wondering what I should get as a pet. I am torn between a corn snake or two female mice. I've really been wanting a corn snake for the longest time and have been doing so much research but I've recently came across mice within the last month and they've caught my eye as well. I personally think that mice may be more fun because they can run around in their little ball, and run on their wheel and play but I also think that corn snakes are fun to just chill out with. I can provide adequate care for either animal/animals. For right now I have a ten gallon tank with a UTH on the bottom that I would use if I got the snake and I would take it off if I got the mice. The only reason I would put the corn snake in the 10 gallon instead of something bigger for now is because I've heard that they can get scared if they have too much room when they're still really small. So what are your opinions? Corn snakes just come in so many beautiful morphs but mice seem very friendly and sweet. Also, I have had an apricot pueblan milk snake and a normal ball python before. Also if you have any other types of snakes that you like let me know and I'll reasearch them as well.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I personally would go for the snake. Mice are cute but they are really stinky and a 10 gallon tank makes that smell worse. My sister had a couple that never tamed down and had to be housed separately because they would fight until they were bloody. I guess I'm biased against them. .. though I do love rats. Totally different! (But not suitable for your tank size)

I think corn snakes are adorable. :p

Einstein'sMommy

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Monica
Yeah I've had two rats before.. They are amazing animals! But I am sort of leaning towards the corn snake as well. I am just really open to everything right now to make sure that I know what I'm getting myself into so I can give whatever animal the best life possible.

Kay_belle_12

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kayla
I would pick the corn snake! They have great personalities and beautiful colors. Mice are very cute and fun to watch, but they do smell pretty bad. I also have never seen one that was truly tame. Their short lifespan is another thing to think about.

jeansie1988

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jeanette
I would suggest the corn snake... they are great first time snakes (I have three blood pythons, not for the beginner). My first snake was a ball python and then a corn snake. They are interesting to handle and only go up to mice as their largest meal.
Mice are very stinky, snakes poop doesn't stink as bad.
There are many forums as well that can help you out incase you run into any problems with it. :) Interested to see your choice.

Einstein'sMommy

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Monica
I did adopt one of these two animals! Now I want to see what everyone thinks? So do you think I picked a mouse or a corn snake? Pictures to come!

Einstein'sMommy

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Monica
I say corn snake too. It will be way less stinky and bitey.

Of course, you could get both and if the mouse doesn't work out you can feed it to the snake :lol:
If I did get both I would never feed live to my snake. It is just cruel and inhumane. Especially since I would have adopted both animals, it wouldn't be fair to the mouse to be rescued just to be lunch for a snake. After all, they can't choose their fate.

MandaExotics

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Amanda
:needpics:
As a fellow snake lover, I'm going with snake

I've had a couple really tame pet mice mice over the years but snakes are just awesome too :heart:

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Snake poop doesnt stink as bad? LOL!!

We have three snakes. And we used to have rats and mice. Hands down, snakes win. But their poop and urates smell like DEATH. ROTTEN CORPSE.

:depressed: :confused: :eek:

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
If I did get both I would never feed live to my snake. It is just cruel and inhumane. Especially since I would have adopted both animals, it wouldn't be fair to the mouse to be rescued just to be lunch for a snake. After all, they can't choose their fate.
There really isnt much difference between strangling to death via snake or being CO2 gassed to death at the place that sells frosen mice.

I prefer feeding live. I can bring them home. Put them in a tank to destress and calm down. Eat and drink and then I know my guys eat a verh healthy full animal. And you can make sure the death was quick and as painless as possible.

Just sayin. :hug8:

But for a baby corn snake, Id feed frozen thawed. Corn snakes are notorious for trying to swallow their food without killing it.

MandaExotics

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Amanda
CO2 is a bit more humane in terms of the mouse, all my snakes eat frozen/thawed.

I feed F/T mostly for the reason that mice, rats, and rabbits can and will bite if they get the chance. Rather not risk having to deal with my snake getting bit. ;)
Not to mention F/T also decreases the risk of parasites.

It's not always an ethical reason to feeding F/T

Joseph012

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
I say corn snake too. It will be way less stinky and bitey.

Of course, you could get both and if the mouse doesn't work out you can feed it to the snake :lol:
You beat me to my joke!

Einstein'sMommy

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Monica
I think you adopted a snake :)
And we have a winner! I did! He/she is a hatchling corn snake. I am thinking he/she is an ultramel anery corn snake but not completely sure. He/she looks just like the pictures of them when I look them up on google. I will have to get some pictures tomorrow. :)

alcmene

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
If you think feeding prey to an animal that is an obligate predator is cruel and inhumane, then owning a snake isn't for you.

Snakes have evolved over millions of years to be beautifully efficient at dispatching their prey. Having the rodents be gassed to death by a human is absolutely unequivocally not less cruel then letting the snake kill its own meal. It's just easier on the conscience of some of their human owners. It's like how if grocery stores didn't sell meat and everybody had to kill their own, a lot more people would be vegetarians lol.

There are good reasons to feed frozen (lessens possibility of parasites in your snake, keeps your snake safe from a potential injury by its prey) and there are good reasons to feed live (many snakes seem to be mentally healthier not being forced to eat pre-killed, as that is completely unnatural for them. Snakes are not scavengers. They are also physically healthier as the freezing/thawing process destroys some of the nutrient content of the rodents, just as it does with our own food). And then there's the snake's personal preference. Many snakes won't accept pre-killed prey.

alcmene

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Snake poop doesnt stink as bad? LOL!!

We have three snakes. And we used to have rats and mice. Hands down, snakes win. But their poop and urates smell like DEATH. ROTTEN CORPSE.

:depressed: :confused: :eek:
Snake poop REEKS. But it only happens once a wk when they're feeding and not at all when they're hibernating. Rodents poop approx 11,846x/day :roflmao:

SEWIgurl

Walking the driveway
Real Name
kate
umm hello.. if you get the snake, you can get weekly pet mice.. snakes got to eat.. lol thats how i do it. my roommate has an eight yr old lil girl.. she gets to pick out the mouse, carry it home, play with it for 5-10 min and then i feedthe snake.. best of both worlds ;)
i call my snakes my favorite pet.. eat once a week, poo once a week, doesnt dig in the trash, or chase the bird.. doesnt scream in your ear or wake you up at 4 am cuz it hears the outside birdies.. i could go on n on, trust me

(dun tell Argyll I like the snakes better... ill have a new puncture mark) :lol: