• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

corn husks

Birds are loud

Meeting neighbors
I was recently in my local mexican market and found 2 different kinds of corn husks. 1 had a label and the other did not. the labeled one was preserved in sulfites and was pliable. The second after asking the shopkeeper had no preservatives and was more brittle. The shopkeeper said she wasn't sure if they would be safe for parrots because both variants required soaking with multiple water changes before use in human cooking. The brittle variety would require soaking regardless of anything that may need washing off because they would need to be softened. I see parrot toys made with corn husks frequently and even home dried husk would likely be covered in pesticides, kind of like banana peels are allowed to have high levels of pesticides because that's not the portion you eat. So after that long winded post, what I'm asking is, are corn husks safe or should I just forget about this venture?

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
:bump4:

Macaw Lover

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Renee'
Absolutely no to the sulfur ones. The other problem that I have is that you do not know if these husks are from GMO corn. The government wants people to believe that is safe for us, buying Monsanto's and spiel there would not be long lasting affects of it BUT I have heard stories of infertilities and fetus deaths being on the rise so I have no trust in any GMO foods or even playing with it because you know a bird will end up eating it too. Decision is yours.

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
Bump